• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dentistry past and present in Brum

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Given the unbridled joy and enthusiasm we all have for a visit to the Dentist, I thought I might investigate who started this legalised form of torture….and found this speech on the history of dentistry in Brum, given in 1945 by a graduate Dentist, to an assembly of distinguished Dental Surgeons in Brum, at the Dental Hospital, back of the old General….

Ronald Cohen speech from 1945:

The first dental practitioner in Birmingham that can be traced is one Robert Law, who lived near the White Hart in Digbeth in 1741. He made “artificial teeth to the greatest perfection, so artfully fixed as to endure for years without taking out, he neatly cleanseth the teeth taking away all their tarterous scales or filmy or muddy humour, also hardened (!) Or fasteneth those that are loose”!

Besides practising dentistry Law made trusses and steel stays, neat steel collars for young ladies and various machines. He undertook to make trusses for those living at a distance, if they send to him “their bigness round”.
There is also a man described in a 1768 directory of Birmingham as a “nailor and tooth drawer”.

The first dental book to be published in Birmingham is a rare little pamphlet entitled A Treatise on the Teeth, by W. H. Barron, surgeon dentist and cupper, 1824.

The first record of medical teaching in Birmingham goes back to 1767, when Mr John Tomlinson, surgeon to the Town Infirmary, gave a series of anatomical lectures. There is no record as to how long these lectures lasted, but Tomlinson was the first provincial surgeon to give regular anatomical lectures, although spasmodic lectures were often given on the bodies of executed criminals. See? I knew it was Satanic!

In 1765 Dr. John Ash called a meeting to consider the advisability of opening a General Hospital near Birmingham. Building was soon started, but financial difficulties put a temporary stop to the scheme. In September, 1779, however the General Hospital was formally opened.

In 1825 William Sands Cox, then only 24 years old, announced that a regular series of anatomical lectures would be held at 24, Temple Row. This is the beginning of the Birmingham Medical School.

A regular medical school with lectures on various subjects was started in 1828 on the “lines of those established for some time past at Manchester, Leeds, and other large towns”. There were various difficulties from time to time but we have no opportunity now to describe them.

In 1843 Queen Victoria granted a charter to the School and it became “The Queen’s College at Birmingham”. The College prospered exceedingly at first, but shortly disagreements and financial difficulties made it obvious that a very drastic reorganisation both of administration and finance was necessary, and in 1867 an Act of Parliament was obtained to clarify and consolidate the position of the College. The Queen’s Hospital was opened in 1841 to provide clinical instruction for the students at Queen’s College.

The students at the General Hospital began to feel the lack of a school at which they could obtain instruction and in 1851 a new college, known as Sydenham College, was inaugurated. The building was in Summer Lane, opposite the power station. The new school prospered, to some extent probably because the students were not under theological control such as existed at Queen’s. However it eventually became obvious that two medical schools in the city were unnecessary and after the Act of 1867 had put the affairs of Queen’s in order, schemes for amalgamation began to be mooted. In 1868 Sydenham College was formerly dissolved and the Council of Queen’s College appointed professors from the staffs of both hospitals. The Professor of Dental Surgery was Mr. T. Howkins, uncle of Col. C. H. Howkins.

In 1880 Mason College was opened, at first as a Science College only, but two years later students at Queen’s College were able to take part of their lectures at Mason’s. In 1892 the Medical School was transferred from Queen’s to Mason’s; in 1897 the College became Mason University College, and in 1900 a charter was obtained raising it to the status of a University and thus entitled to grant dental diplomas and degrees. It was the first University in the country to grant dental degrees, John Humphreys was the first to receive one.

The Dental School began its existence at Queen’s College in October 1880, and the Council of the College elected Messrs. Thos. Howkins, Charles Sims and F. R. Batchelor to the Professorships of Dental Surgery, Dental Mechanics and Dental Anatomy respectively. The Secretary of the department was Mr. John Humphreys to whose enthusiasm was due the rapid development and enlarged scope of the School. It worked under great disadvantages at Queen’s and it was not until the removal of the medical school to Mason’s College that real progress could be made. At that time it was of course necessary for students to take the diploma of the Royal College of Surgeons or of one of the Scottish Universities.

The Dental Hospital was established in January 1858 at Odd-fellows Hall, 13, Temple Street, largely through the efforts of Samuel Adams Parker, who practised in Colmore Row and was a pupil of John Tomes. It was not the first in the country, being preceded by an Institution for diseases of the Teeth established by Harrison and Saunders 1839, The London Dental Dispensary founded by C. J. Fox 1855, and the Islington Dental Dispensary 1857. The Royal Dental Hospital School was not opened until December 1858, so that the Birmingham Dental Hospital is the oldest in this country.

It led a somewhat peripatetic existence; in 1863 it was moved to 2, Upper Priory to premises shared with the Homeopathic Hospital, in 1871 it moved to 9, Broad Street, in 1882 to 71, Newhall Street, and in 1905 to the present building. The Hospital did not occupy the whole building at 71, Newhall Street; the cellars were let to a brewery and the first floor to a lying in charity. It is to be hoped that callers found their way to the correct destination.

It was at 71, Newhall Street that the Dental Students’ Society came into being. The idea of the Society originated in the enthusiastic brain of John Humphreys. The first President was Charles Sims and the first Secretary A. D. Miller. The first meeting was held on November 4th, 1886. Among those present at the meeting were Messrs John Humphreys, who was President in 1887, Frank Huxley, W. Palethorpe, W. T. Madin, E. Sims, A. J. Wilson, P. Naden, G. C. Matthews, W. Parrott, F. W. Richards, G. Marson, F. R. Howard and A. D. Miller, and I am happy and proud to say that we have one of these with us today Mr. Cale-Matthews.

So, the most interesting building, the one that prompted this discourse, is the one at 71 Newhall Street….a well photographed masterpiece….
…and we are even today approaching the building of the latest futuristic development on the old Pebble Mill BBC studio site in Pebble Mill Road, Edgbaston….hope you enjoy the photographs….

https://www.bhamcommunity.nhs.uk/news-ar ... -hospital/

Newhall Street 1890 Dental Hospital on corner...

Dental Hospital and Brewery

1900 style dental work...

Newhall Street Cathedral House now

Newhall St 1900

And a few more maps and pics of the areas featured above for information....

Oddfellows Hall 1889 Map

Newhall Street Map 1891

Upper Priory Map 1889

Newhall Street Cathedral House

Newhall St 1891

But aside from the gnashing of teeth and the screams for mercy...there were other trades that went on around Newhall Street that deserve a mention.......exhibit A M'luds....taken from this book...

Good Money

The Prospect at Newhall

The area to the north of Colmore Row, from Easy Row to our left (where Baskerville's estate once stood) to Snow Hill to our far right, and extending some blocks beyond St. Paul's church, is the Birmingham toy district. Excepting Colmore Row itself (which was then called "Newhall Walk"), all of it was open country before the middle of the last century — a large chunk of the vast Newhall Estate, which (despite the town's encroachment) couldn't be parceled for development without Parliament's permission. Once that was obtained, in 1750, the estate was gradually broken up into bits bearing 120-year leases, all of which were swooped up as soon as they became available.
As for Newhall Manor itself, the large structure, which stood just beyond what is now the intersection of Newhall and Great Charles Streets, was auctioned off in 1787 on the understanding that it would be taken apart and carted off by its new owner. No sign of it remains, except for the odd flights of ten to fifteen steps leading to the entries of nearby tenements — reminders of the low hill on which the manor once stood. At one time the site faced a larger hill, on which a rollercoaster once stood; but that hill was gouged away long ago:

But what's more melancholy still
For poor old Brummagem,
They've taken away all Newhall-hill
Poor old Brummagem!
At Easter time, girls fair and brown,
Used to come rolly-polly down,
And showed their legs to half the town;
Oh! the good old sights in Brummagem.

Although sentimental types like James Dobbs, whose ditty was just quoted, might regret the loss of Newhall Hill, Birmingham's steel toy and button makers welcomed it, as they were more than pleased to abandon their crammed and foul-smelling quarters in Digbeth and other older parts of town for the modest but clean and comfortable structures erected on what were once Newhall's grounds. Most of them chose to reside and work in the same dwelling, with their living quarters at street level and their workrooms upstairs or in outbuildings to the rear. By 1780, or just a few years before the commercial coinage episode began, the present street pattern was more or less established, with Little Charles, Great Charles, and Lionel Streets running parallel to Colmore Row and Newhall, Church, and Livery Streets running perpendicularly from the same. Nowadays most of Birmingham's 30,000-odd toy- and button-trade workers spend their days among these same streets.

The coin aspects were reflected in the Assay Office in Newhall Street....

Newhall Street/Bread Street corner

Assay Office Newhall Street

Newhall Street/Lionel Street

Dt Lloyd Owen's Office in Newhall Street

Once again Dennis very interesting. Here's a couple of photos to add to your collection. The original Dental Hospital on the corner of Newhall St and the one that took over in from that one when it was built in Great Charles St.

Attachments

• City Newhall St  Dental hospital..jpg
    City Newhall St Dental hospital..jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 29
  • City Great Charles St Dental Hospital.JPG
    City Great Charles St Dental Hospital.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 30
I am pleased to say I am being treated by the Dental Hospital and they are brilliant soon to move to their state of the art's hospital on the old Pebble Mill Site. Very interesting subject Dennis. Thanks for starting the thread.
:peach:

I remember visiting the Dental Hospital with youngest son when he was 10 days old (he's now 46). He was born with a tooth and had to have it extracted because it was rubbing his tongue when he fed. The nurses were fighting over who should carry him in and said he never made a sound when the tooth was taken out - but DID fill his nappy.

The staff at the Dental Hospital are very kind. I don't know when the new hospital will be ready but this one is in need of repair....some of the ceiling tiles are held up with gaffer tape!
My first dentist was called Mr. Phillpott!
rosie.

My dads dentist was the lovely Mr Whickam from Lichfield road. The one after him was a butcher. I went to Mr Lacey Potters hill when I refused to go to the school clinic.

Once again Dennis very interesting. Here's a couple of photos to add to your collection. The original Dental Hospital on the corner of Newhall St and the one that took over in from that one when it was built in Great Charles St.

For some reason, in the 1940s, when I was very young, my mother took me to Great Charles St., for treatment.
I have a vivid memory of a long row of men in white coats, bent over a long row of dental chairs.
When my turn came, I remember a rubber wedge was jammed into my mouth, a rubber mask pushed over my face and a hand holding me down while the anaesthetic gas took effect.
Later in life, my mates reckoned that I fell foul of trainee dentists.
Be that as it may, I still have a dread of dental treatment.

My first dentist was called Darrell Vincent (not sure Darrell is spelt right) whose surgery was somewhere along or near Mosely Rd, a walk from Sparkbrook. I used to have regular extractions as a child (up to five at a time) and he'd hold the gas mask under my nose and wave it about a bit until I'd breathed enough gas to put me out. One time, he must have been on holiday as there was another dentist there and to my shock he clamped the gas mask tight over my face, causing me to panic and struggle fighting for breath until I passed out. I resisted visiting the dentist after that but later, aged about 12, I was suffering with an aching back tooth so had no choice but to go and ask for it to be removed. Unfortunately, a female dentist was standing in for Mr Vincent and she insisted the tooth could be saved. And so she set to with the drill hollowing out the aching tooth. I've never felt so much pain in my life and my screams and yells must have made that clear. Yet she persevered with her drill, telling me not to be such a baby. After what seemed and eternity of agony, she packed the painful tooth with something and let me go. I was never able to eat with that tooth again owing to its permanent sensitivity. I found out later in life that NHS dentist in those days got paid on a "drill and fill" basis, so extractions weren't very profitable for them -- hence the lady's insistence that she could save the aching tooth. That one really did put me off dentists for life.

Regards, Ray T

My first dentist was called Darrell Vincent (not sure Darrell is spelt right) whose surgery was somewhere along or near Mosely Rd, a walk from Sparkbrook. I used to have regular extractions as a child (up to five at a time) and he'd hold the gas mask under my nose and wave it about a bit until I'd breathed enough gas to put me out. One time, he must have been on holiday as there was another dentist there and to my shock he clamped the gas mask tight over my face, causing me to panic and struggle fighting for breath until I passed out. I resisted visiting the dentist after that but later, aged about 12, I was suffering with an aching back tooth so had no choice but to go and ask for it to be removed. Unfortunately, a female dentist was standing in for Mr Vincent and she insisted the tooth could be saved. And so she set to with the drill hollowing out the aching tooth. I've never felt so much pain in my life and my screams and yells must have made that clear. Yet she persevered with her drill, telling me not to be such a baby. After what seemed and eternity of agony, she packed the painful tooth with something and let me go. I was never able to eat with that tooth again owing to its permanent sensitivity. I found out later in life that NHS dentist in those days got paid on a "drill and fill" basis, so extractions weren't very profitable for them -- hence the lady's insistence that she could save the aching tooth. That one really did put me off dentists for life.

Regards, Ray T

Hello Ray, I posted this a few years ago but I would not know where to look for it now so I will re-post it. I was a schoolchild when I encountered my first tooth monster, the meeting took place at a clinic on Stratford Road Springfield. I had a tooth removed using gas as the anaesthetic, that encounter gave me a lifelong fear of any dentist. When I next needed a dentist I was working as a doorman and was quite happy to face anyone who wanted to cause trouble. I had been taken to the old dental Hospital that day but I sneaked out when the gum injection stopped the pain. Of course the pain returned worse than ever but I struggled through the dance and went home but next day a friend took me to a dentist who he knew, the surgery was above a bank on Bordesley Green Rd. near Hobmoor Road. I explained my fear to the dentist and he said he would be as careful and as quick as possible. He removed the tooth and gave me a letter for my GP. explaining that I needed help. The Doctor read the letter then wrote a prescription for a course of tranquilisers then I had to telephone the dentist and tell him I had the pills. He then gave me an appointment to have all my teeth removed at the age of 25. I kept the appointment had all my teeth out and I have never regretted.

Given the unbridled joy and enthusiasm we all have for a visit to the Dentist, I thought I might investigate who started this legalised form of torture….and found this speech on the history of dentistry in Brum, given in 1945 by a graduate Dentist, to an assembly of distinguished Dental Surgeons in Brum, at the Dental Hospital, back of the old General….

Ronald Cohen speech from 1945:

The first dental practitioner in Birmingham that can be traced is one Robert Law, who lived near the White Hart in Digbeth in 1741. He made “artificial teeth to the greatest perfection, so artfully fixed as to endure for years without taking out, he neatly cleanseth the teeth taking away all their tarterous scales or filmy or muddy humour, also hardened (!) Or fasteneth those that are loose”!

Besides practising dentistry Law made trusses and steel stays, neat steel collars for young ladies and various machines. He undertook to make trusses for those living at a distance, if they send to him “their bigness round”.
There is also a man described in a 1768 directory of Birmingham as a “nailor and tooth drawer”.

The first dental book to be published in Birmingham is a rare little pamphlet entitled A Treatise on the Teeth, by W. H. Barron, surgeon dentist and cupper, 1824.

The first record of medical teaching in Birmingham goes back to 1767, when Mr John Tomlinson, surgeon to the Town Infirmary, gave a series of anatomical lectures. There is no record as to how long these lectures lasted, but Tomlinson was the first provincial surgeon to give regular anatomical lectures, although spasmodic lectures were often given on the bodies of executed criminals. See? I knew it was Satanic!

In 1765 Dr. John Ash called a meeting to consider the advisability of opening a General Hospital near Birmingham. Building was soon started, but financial difficulties put a temporary stop to the scheme. In September, 1779, however the General Hospital was formally opened.

In 1825 William Sands Cox, then only 24 years old, announced that a regular series of anatomical lectures would be held at 24, Temple Row. This is the beginning of the Birmingham Medical School.

A regular medical school with lectures on various subjects was started in 1828 on the “lines of those established for some time past at Manchester, Leeds, and other large towns”. There were various difficulties from time to time but we have no opportunity now to describe them.

In 1843 Queen Victoria granted a charter to the School and it became “The Queen’s College at Birmingham”. The College prospered exceedingly at first, but shortly disagreements and financial difficulties made it obvious that a very drastic reorganisation both of administration and finance was necessary, and in 1867 an Act of Parliament was obtained to clarify and consolidate the position of the College. The Queen’s Hospital was opened in 1841 to provide clinical instruction for the students at Queen’s College.

The students at the General Hospital began to feel the lack of a school at which they could obtain instruction and in 1851 a new college, known as Sydenham College, was inaugurated. The building was in Summer Lane, opposite the power station. The new school prospered, to some extent probably because the students were not under theological control such as existed at Queen’s. However it eventually became obvious that two medical schools in the city were unnecessary and after the Act of 1867 had put the affairs of Queen’s in order, schemes for amalgamation began to be mooted. In 1868 Sydenham College was formerly dissolved and the Council of Queen’s College appointed professors from the staffs of both hospitals. The Professor of Dental Surgery was Mr. T. Howkins, uncle of Col. C. H. Howkins.

In 1880 Mason College was opened, at first as a Science College only, but two years later students at Queen’s College were able to take part of their lectures at Mason’s. In 1892 the Medical School was transferred from Queen’s to Mason’s; in 1897 the College became Mason University College, and in 1900 a charter was obtained raising it to the status of a University and thus entitled to grant dental diplomas and degrees. It was the first University in the country to grant dental degrees, John Humphreys was the first to receive one.

The Dental School began its existence at Queen’s College in October 1880, and the Council of the College elected Messrs. Thos. Howkins, Charles Sims and F. R. Batchelor to the Professorships of Dental Surgery, Dental Mechanics and Dental Anatomy respectively. The Secretary of the department was Mr. John Humphreys to whose enthusiasm was due the rapid development and enlarged scope of the School. It worked under great disadvantages at Queen’s and it was not until the removal of the medical school to Mason’s College that real progress could be made. At that time it was of course necessary for students to take the diploma of the Royal College of Surgeons or of one of the Scottish Universities.

The Dental Hospital was established in January 1858 at Odd-fellows Hall, 13, Temple Street, largely through the efforts of Samuel Adams Parker, who practised in Colmore Row and was a pupil of John Tomes. It was not the first in the country, being preceded by an Institution for diseases of the Teeth established by Harrison and Saunders 1839, The London Dental Dispensary founded by C. J. Fox 1855, and the Islington Dental Dispensary 1857. The Royal Dental Hospital School was not opened until December 1858, so that the Birmingham Dental Hospital is the oldest in this country.

It led a somewhat peripatetic existence; in 1863 it was moved to 2, Upper Priory to premises shared with the Homeopathic Hospital, in 1871 it moved to 9, Broad Street, in 1882 to 71, Newhall Street, and in 1905 to the present building. The Hospital did not occupy the whole building at 71, Newhall Street; the cellars were let to a brewery and the first floor to a lying in charity. It is to be hoped that callers found their way to the correct destination.

It was at 71, Newhall Street that the Dental Students’ Society came into being. The idea of the Society originated in the enthusiastic brain of John Humphreys. The first President was Charles Sims and the first Secretary A. D. Miller. The first meeting was held on November 4th, 1886. Among those present at the meeting were Messrs John Humphreys, who was President in 1887, Frank Huxley, W. Palethorpe, W. T. Madin, E. Sims, A. J. Wilson, P. Naden, G. C. Matthews, W. Parrott, F. W. Richards, G. Marson, F. R. Howard and A. D. Miller, and I am happy and proud to say that we have one of these with us today Mr. Cale-Matthews.

So, the most interesting building, the one that prompted this discourse, is the one at 71 Newhall Street….a well photographed masterpiece….
…and we are even today approaching the building of the latest futuristic development on the old Pebble Mill BBC studio site in Pebble Mill Road, Edgbaston….hope you enjoy the photographs….

https://www.bhamcommunity.nhs.uk/news-ar ... -hospital/

Newhall Street 1890 Dental Hospital on corner...

Dental Hospital and Brewery

1900 style dental work...

Newhall Street Cathedral House now

Newhall St 1900
Thank you Dennis, greatly enjoyed your artical. I used to go to the Dental Hospital in my childhood and teens. It was a great place to be treated.

I know all about the good work carried out by dentists but they terrify me, or they did before I had all mine extracted after a course of tranquilizers 500 or so years ago.

i will have to go. and see them. last night i went to bed and forgot to take my top :Dfalse teeth out,so i put them under my pillow.
when i got up and went to put them back in they was gone, in there place was £20 strange i never belived in fairies

Last edited:
We used to worry about kids reading some of our posts in the old days, but this thread should put them all off! :):):)

Further to Jean's post #8, I remember well both my mother and my Uncle Albert complaining about Mr Lacey on Potters Hill, and whom both regarded as being incompetent and 'past it', and my uncle saying that teeth were the bane of everyone's life from shortly after they were born until the day they die. I must admit that despite having many sets of false teeth, but none in Brum, I still feel as if I have a mouthful of rocks when wearing them, and hate days when I have to go somewhere and have to wear them all day. Even before putting my slippers on, I will take out my false teeth. and some times as soon as I have got into the car to drive home!

My horror story about the dentist who used to be on the corner of Howard Road & Alcester Road South, Kings Heath in the late 1950s is recounted on another thread, and that put me off dentists for many years, and I still shudder when I think of it. My list of good and sympathetic dentists does not include one from my younger days in Brum, and all were not that long out of dental school, both in England and Greece. So I would say that whilst dental practice has improved over the last 60 or more years, what really has improved is the training of those dentists., thank goodness! :):):)

Maurice

Further to my personal tales of dental woe.
Around 1953, when I was about 12, my Dad took me to a dentist in Kings Heath. This fool attempted to extract a tooth but broke it instead. I was sent home with a broken tooth and spent a weekend in agony before being taken back to have the job done properly.
I pay for private dentistry now. In fact my dentist appeared on Master Chef on the telly last year ! (He didn't pull any teeth though).

i know the feeling .i went to a dentist in KINGHURST, to have my top teeth out. they was butchers. after the op come i come around, and was in so much pain,under the anisetic i had done a wee.i try'd to stand but fell over. the man who took me there.help me up. during the day the pain was really bad so io went to the docs. he sent me to the dental hospital. they looked in my mouth and said how has done this, it is a mess your jaw is broken, so they took out the broken bone and sew'd me up that was in 2000. it still hurts at times now. a chimpanzee with a hammer and chisel would have done a better job

Last edited:
Pete, sorry to hear of your bad experience and in fairly recent times too. It's a bit like having needles stuck into you. My last English dentist in Blandford Forum was a master, you never felt the needle at all. Much the same with the blood test I had in Aghios Nikolaos yesterday. You could say that they were doing dozens a day so were more practised, but the nurse at US Immigration in the old US Embassy was doing 200 a day and yet that was the most brutal jabbing I have ever had. Perhaps her secondary job was to try and put you off applying for a visa! :) :) :)

Maurice

My first recollection of a dental visit was a bit of a nightmare. He was injecting the (cocaine?) into my gum but most of it was going down my throat & i proceeded to vomit over him. I remember him cursing me, but it was his own incompetence he should have been cursing. On visits to the dentist in later years i always insisted on the valium injection in the back of the hand. I dont know why everyone doesnt opt for that, takes away the fear. :scream:

Smudger,

The first dentist I used in Bournemouth after my bad Brum experience gave me valium in the back of my hand. Whilst under the influence he extracted six and filled three. When I came round, I just said, "When are you going to start?" and he told me what he had already done and said I was free to go. My eldest son was waiting outside with the car to take me home and expected me to go straight to bed, and I sat watching afternoon TV in the lounge. Everyone was amazed including me - no after effects or anything. Good chap, but retired many years ago..

Maurice :)

Further to Jean's post #8, I remember well both my mother and my Uncle Albert complaining about Mr Lacey on Potters Hill,

Maurice

You know Maurice...There appears to be mixed opinions as to whether Dr Lacey was on Potters Hill or Clifton Rd. I think I'll change my mind and go with Clifton Rd.
Dave A

Hi,

I remember with horror being taken to the dentist opposite
the Pelham in Alum Rock when i was a lad in the 1950's.

The only time I have ever visited a dentist since is when the
pain has exceeded the fear.

Kind regards
Dave

Dave,

I never knew him, but he must have been fairly close to Bartons Bank. I'll have a look at the late 1950s directory and get back to you.

Maurice

Dave,.

This is the only entry I could find for Lacey, who also happened to be a dentist, between 1950 and 1961, when I left Brum. The year here was 1950.

Maurice

My first recollection of a dental visit was a bit of a nightmare. He was injecting the (cocaine?) into my gum but most of it was going down my throat & i proceeded to vomit over him. I remember him cursing me, but it was his own incompetence he should have been cursing. On visits to the dentist in later years i always insisted on the valium injection in the back of the hand. I dont know why everyone doesnt opt for that, takes away the fear. :scream:
na whisky in the throat is better:laughing:

Back