• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dennis Sullivan?

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
Hello, I'm trying to find info on a Dennis Sullivan?
My father William Hancox, always told me stories of this man, but I was too young to listen, and now I'm older I'm wishing that I'd paid attention to what my dad told me as my father passed away 18 yrs now.
I think he is related to us, and I know he was something to do with Pat Roach as I think Dennis is a scrap dealer????
Any help?

E

eamon

HI ALANDEEJ, your post for anyone who knew or knows "Dennis Sullivan" I was with him Wednesday gone and we had a good old chat about old Birmingaham some sixty years ago.He's 84 now and in fine shape bar for a dodgy knee.I hadn't seen him for about thirty years until Wednesday,.I attended a funeral and after the ceremony met up at the "Unity Club "in Aston.0121 359 2106
He's a great old chap very witty and still as sharp as a tack recalling when he served in the second world war seeing action in Madagascar & Burma.

Regards

Eamon Keeley "An old brummie"

R

RayD

Absolutely thrilled re the posts on Dennis Sullivan.

I new him well, several years ago. His step brother, Ray West, was a great friend of mine in the 50's.
They lived in Gower St. opposite the vinegar brewery.
Sadly our ways parted when one by one we got married, but I will have everlasting memories of this colourful family.
It was with great sadness that I recently learned that Ray had passed away,but the news that Dennis is still alive and kicking, has softened the blow.
Eamon, if you have any idea where Dennis lives, or how I can contact him, perhaps you would be good enough to contact me with by IM.

Alandeej, you are quite right, Dennis was a scrap dealer in the past, with a yard in Summer Lane. Pat Roach was one of his many friends.
If you want any more info on the family I will be only to glad to help, subject to a fading memory.

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Is this the Dennis Sullivan who used the Geach Pub Summer Lane and was friends of the Corfields if thats the right spelling:)

Ray and any of the above can IM me

Last edited:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi alf. i will ask dad hes known him donkeys years and lives a couple of mins away. dad just calls him sully. wales.

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
Wales.....can you ask your dad to ask Dennis if he knows Billy Hancox, or if he remembers Nelly Gibbons?
All my family are from Aston/Hockley, my grandad also called Bill use to be a bookie he used the name 'Tommy Nicklin', and lived Grt Hampton Street. My dad went to school in Summer Lane, and went to St Chads.
I live in Cornwall now,and my family still live in Rocky Lane, Perry Barr.
I fell out with our mom and she is not helping so I'm searching in the dark a bit! My dad was born 1916.

Cheers,

Denise

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
denise. will ask dad. to ask sully for you. can you just tell me what year are we talking about when billy hancox was around the area. i take it that was your dad. if the years are right dad may even recall them as he hasnt moved in 80 years. wales.

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
:) My dads name was William (Billy) and my grandads. They lived in Grt hampton Street in the 1930s to lates 40's as they were knocking down the houses, and the chip shop that was on the same side as Cannings. For years after the houses & shop was knocked down Cannings used the land as a car park, and I've been told that there is private flats there now. My dad, nan & grandad moved to Rocky lane in the 1950's. My dad Billy Hancox was a colour printer who worked for Moody Brothers in Brum, and was into boxing, one of our relatives was known as Billy Bloc as he came from Bloxwich. I know we are related to Gibbons, Berrow and I think Sullivan? My grandad had a very deep dimple (like Kirk Douglas) and drank in all the pubs in Hockley, loved his drink! He was a bookie and before the W1 he was good with his fists (bare knuckle). Ask him about Alec Mac (Macdonald) he had a walk on part in 'Crossroads' in the 1970's, his mother was Mrs Mac and she would fight anyone, especially men!;)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi denise. its saying you are not receiving instant messages so i will just ask dad when he sees sully if he remembers anyone you have mentioned. all the best wales.

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
picture.php

Here is a picture of my grandad William Hancox, he live at 121 Grt Hampton St, Hockley.

andy cashmore

Brummie babby
Hello there, my name is Andrew Cashmore my mother is formerly Eileen Sullivan she was Dennis Sullivans elder sister. I looked after Dennis after his wife Terry (Theresa) died, sadly Dennis died in 2011 from prostate cancer he was aged 87. He had 3 brothers 4 sisters plus one adopted sister. As you are probably aware he was a larger than life character and well known around Birmingham as a man he was very capable of handling himself if the occasion arose. He retired at age 50 after he was bought out by a major metal business and was able to live comfortably until his death. Only my mother remains from the rest of the family she is aged 92 and still mentally and physically active.

Last edited by a moderator:

rosie

brummie
Hello Andrew, it isn't advisable to give an email address because of spam. Try instant message instead.
Best wishes, welcome to the Forum!
rosie.

andy cashmore

Brummie babby
Hello I am Andrew Cashmore my mothers maiden name was Eileen Sullivan she was Dennis Sullivans and William (Billy)Hancox was her mothers brother, unfortunately Dennis is no longer alive and my mother is the only remaining member of the family still alive she is now 93 and still physically and mentally active and would be most happy to give you any information you would like to know.