• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dennis Scribbans

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
Racing Driver, born Streetley 1907 d.1990

Down in the biographies as a Birmingham stockbroker, (anyone remember Griffiths & Lamb?), drove an ERA in the 1930s. Was he connected with the Scribbans bakery family?

Racing Driver, born Streetley 1907 d.1990

Down in the biographies as a Birmingham stockbroker, (anyone remember Griffiths & Lamb?), drove an ERA in the 1930s. Was he connected with the Scribbans bakery family?
Hi John
Yes indeed Denis was related to the bakery family. He was Harry and Ada's nephew through Harry's elder brother Charlie Scribbans. Charlie died in 1922 leaving his assets to his wife so perhaps Denis was able to secure some sponsorship from his mum? I have him employed in the thirties with stockbrokers Bacon, Tedd and Scribbans, members of the Stock Exchange.

Hi John
Yes indeed Denis was related to the bakery family. He was Harry and Ada's nephew through Harry's elder brother Charlie Scribbans. Charlie died in 1922 leaving his assets to his wife so perhaps Denis was able to secure some sponsorship from his mum? I have him employed in the thirties with stockbrokers Bacon, Tedd and Scribbans, members of the Stock Exchange.
Thanks for this, FletchLA, I was told about Denis by Gibbs Pancheri, no longer with us, who came to chat at a Bentley Drivers Club meeting back in the 1980s, when I had just joined and turned up at the old office at Long Crendon in Sussex, for a drivers day. The Griffiths and Lamb connection came from our investment club, formed 1969, having used them in the 70s, receiving much kindly advice from Ivan Griffiths (iirc the name). As you can now do it all on line it ain’t half as much fun!

ps. We still meet, but have wound up the trading account, and just eat lunch instead!

Cheers, John

Back