• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Phil, a couple of years ago now I was enquiring about the Stringer Brothers and you were kind enough to give me a link to a photo of them, along with other boys from the same year, which was on this site. Since then I have changed my computer and lost the photo. Also, I understand that there have been problems on this site and many photos have been lost. I wonder whether you could post a copy of this photo again for me? Due to your kind help I have managed to make contact with Terry Stringer and his father Graham. So thank you very much for your help.

Dear Phil

You were most helpful a couple of years ago when you directed me to a photo on this site of a group of boys in your final year at Dennis Road School. I was trying to trace Graham Stringer through his son Terry who was in the photo. I have since had a new computer and regretably did not save the photo. I understand there have been problems on the site and photos have been removed. If you have a copy of this photo I wonder if you could post it on the site for me. Thanks for any help you can give,

Pat

Hi Pats

Yes I remember our conversation, just a couple of points it wasn't a photo of my last year at Dennis Rd, it was in fact a photo of the first 5th year ever at the school which part of my class remained at school to be part of. The two Stringer cousins were part of my class throughout the school.

They are the two lads on the right end of this photo in the middle row, the photo was in fact posted by Bob Summers but I have a copy of it as well which I will post here. If Bob reposts his photo at sometime I will remove it.

Phil

Attachments

• SparkbrookDennisRd62-63[1].jpg
    SparkbrookDennisRd62-63[1].jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 65
Pats

Another thought, a Terry Stringer joined the forum and made a post on this thread on August 1st 2010 post #209. Of course I can't say if it is the same lad.

Phil

Dennis Road School Hockey Team 1961.jpg
Phil
our old friend Garry Burgess whom used to live in Brunswick Road Balsall Heath, sent me a couple of photos today, from where he lives now in Bergen, Norway.
Garry is the captain in the middle of the 1st Hockey team circa 1961.
Do you recall any of the lads of the time. I think I recall Ali on the top row 2 from right,whom was a bit of a star in those days!

Bob

Sorry Bob, nobody jumps out at me not even the teacher, who was he? Mind you I quit going to school at half term in 1961 because I was told you couldn't be made to go after you were 15 years of age and I never went back, I never even had a leaving certificate.

Phil,
I didn't know that, was that about in 1957/8 mind you I didn't mind going I had got used to it by then. Going to work was something new and differant, and then I went back to school/collage for quite a few years.

Fred

I didn't mind school at all and I quite liked Dennis Rd even if I did seem to be in trouble all the time. What it was I just couldn't stand the 4th year teacher, he was the deputy head and he was the most self opinionated bigoted person you could ever wish to meet. The sort of person who wouldn't get a job teaching dogs today.

You obviously left your education early Phil with great charisma and street wiseness we all can see!!

You plainly absconded Phil as in those days you could leave at the end of the winter term at Christmas and Spring term at Easter not half way through?

Dennis Road school 1st. year Cricket team 1959.jpg

Another photo of the 1st year cricket team. As you can see no one could afford cricket whites and cricket boots in 1959.

Bob

In 59 I would have been in the first year, but I still don't recognise any of the pupils but I think I recognise the two teacher are they Mr Owen & Mr Stokes?

Phil
I think the teacher on the left is Mr Biddle. The only pupil I remember is Garry Burgess whom is third from the right in the back row. We still talk and see each other when he comes over from Norway.

Bob

I think the teacher on the left has to be Joey Stokes who took the class next to the library it was a 4th year class 4.2 maybe. Bertie Biddle is on the right on this photo an ex world war one veteran that was invalided out after he was gassed at least that was the story. I was in his class in the second year.

Attachments

• Dennis Rd.JPG
    Dennis Rd.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi Bob
I went to Dennis road school between 1954 and 1958. I remember Mr Tebbut, Mr Carrington, Mr Biddle and one or two others who's names I will have to look up on old school reports.
I went on an IOM trip to Douglas Holiday Camp when I was (I guess) about 13 (1956). I'm new to this website so I don't know how to get to see the IOM photo that some are talking about. Alan Deakin was there when I was there but in a year above me so I did'nt know him. On my second year we were sent to an annex in Runcorn Road. I wonder if anyone remembers me.
James Taylor

Hi Bob
I went to Dennis road school between 1954 and 1958. I remember Mr Tebbut, Mr Carrington, Mr Biddle and one or two others who's names I will have to look up on old school reports.
I went on an IOM trip to Douglas Holiday Camp when I was (I guess) about 13 (1956). I'm new to this website so I don't know how to get to see the IOM photo that some are talking about. Alan Deakin was there when I was there but in a year above me so I did'nt know him. On my second year we were sent to an annex in Runcorn Road. I wonder if anyone remembers me.
James Taylor

Jim, My name is Brian Warren and this is the my first stab at this site. Bob Summers told me of it as I also went to this school. 1954 - 1958. I started in Mr Warrens Class in the annex across from the main school and there is a good photo of this class on the Forum Photo site. I also went to the annex in Clifton Road and was in Mr Biddles class. Mr Griffiths had the other class and I finished in class 4A, Mr Tebbuts Class He was the Deputy Head as far as I recall.

I cannot recall the other class that I was in, perhaps it was Mr Carringtons, the name does ring a bell.

I'm sorry but I do not recall you, but are you in the class photo. Names I do recall are Kenny Brain, Warren Archibald, Kevin Mahon, and Maurice Bennett. It was during this final year that the first two West Indian Boys attended. One was named Joe, but I cannot recall the other boys mane. Regards Brian Warren

Viv

Dennis Road Secondary Modern school, my old alma mater. Also several other members of this forum some loved it and some hated it, I liked it for the most part until I reached the final year and the teacher for form 4.1. Here are some photos of the main school and some of the annexes scattered around Balsall Heath that were associated with the school. Number 1 is the main school itself taken about 8 years ago, number 2 is the annex in Brunswick Rd that was no longer used by the school when I attended, number 3 is the annex in Dennis Rd across from the school where there were two classes, the art class the science lab and the metalwork class, number 4 was the annex on Ladypool Rd which consisted of two classes, and the last photo is the woodwork shop that was located in Clifton Rd infant school.

Attachments

• 1 Balsall Heath Dennis Rd School.jpg
    1 Balsall Heath Dennis Rd School.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2 Balsalleath Runcorn Rd Dennis Rd Annex.JPG
    2 Balsalleath Runcorn Rd Dennis Rd Annex.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 3 Balsall Hearh  Dennis Rd Annex.jpg
    3 Balsall Hearh Dennis Rd Annex.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 33
  • 4 Balsall Heath St Pauls School Dennis Rd Annex.jpg
    4 Balsall Heath St Pauls School Dennis Rd Annex.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 5 Balsall Heath Clifton Rd Woodwork Class.JPG
    5 Balsall Heath Clifton Rd Woodwork Class.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 41
Bob,
I didn't realise Ian Lavender went to Dennis Road, when was that ?.

Sorry, but I've only just read this post. Ian Lavender did NOT go to this school ! He was born in Northfield and attended a primary school there before passing his 11+ and going to Bournville Boys Technical School in 1957. He gained 10 'O' levels and 3 'A' levels before going, I believe, to Bristol Old Vic to train as an actor.
I was in the same class as him from 1957 to 1962 when I left, and he stayed on for the 6th form. I sometimes sat next to him for several of the different lessons. He's been to a few of the reunions we've had.
It makes me wonder if those other names quoted as going to Dennis Rd, actually went there !

Bob

I think the teacher on the left has to be Joey Stokes who took the class next to the library it was a 4th year class 4.2 maybe. Bertie Biddle is on the right on this photo an ex world war one veteran that was invalided out after he was gassed at least that was the story. I was in his class in the second year.

Hi Phil a bit late but the teacher back row on the left is our headmaster Mr Griffin.

Sorry, but I've only just read this post. Ian Lavender did NOT go to this school ! He was born in Northfield and attended a primary school there before passing his 11+ and going to Bournville Boys Technical School in 1957. He gained 10 'O' levels and 3 'A' levels before going, I believe, to Bristol Old Vic to train as an actor.
I was in the same class as him from 1957 to 1962 when I left, and he stayed on for the 6th form. I sometimes sat next to him for several of the different lessons. He's been to a few of the reunions we've had.
It makes me wonder if those other names quoted as going to Dennis Rd, actually went there !
Hi Trevor thanks for putting the record strait, I was never sure of Ian going to our school. Regards to you

Hi I was wondering if anyone remembers Robert Morris from Dennis Road School? He started in 1958 and was there till 1961

Hi Rachel,

Well the years were the same years I was there, but I don't recall the name. Was he in the 1, 2 0r 3 stream classes?

Hi Rachel,

Well the years were the same years I was there, but I don't recall the name. Was he in the 1, 2 0r 3 stream classes?

I don't know what classes he was in sorry. Do you have any old school pictures at all? His mother married my grandad, unbeknown to her he was married to my nan at the time. Robert passed away in 1999 aged 51 and my family would love a picture to see what he looked like. None of his family have any pictures unfortunately

Sorry Rachel all the photos that I know of are on this thread already, we have quite a few ex Dennis Road pupils on the forum, perhaps someone else may be able to assist you. Perhaps Bob might be able to help, he was there roughly for the same years as myself.

Sorry Rachel all the photos that I know of are on this thread already, we have quite a few ex Dennis Road pupils on the forum, perhaps someone else may be able to assist you. Perhaps Bob might be able to help, he was there roughly for the same years as myself.

Thank you Phil, ive looked through the thread and cant see the photo's for some reason x

Rachel

Yes sadly a lot of photos were lost some years back when the site was hacked, not all were able to be replaced. Though there are some of pupils from around the years you are looking for. Try these post numbers,

#36, #245, #250, 253, #256, #257.

Back