• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Just a few photos to start it off, have you any memories, Famous pupils Alan Deakin the Villa player and Capt. and Pike the actor out of Dads Army* Please go to my new post on 243 to see all lost photos

Edit. Please see post #258.

Attachments

• DENNIS%20SCHOOL.jpg
    DENNIS%20SCHOOL.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi Bob,

I was at Dennis Road with Alan Deakin and another good footballer named Hudson.

I was quite good and famous in my sport too, cycling, do you remember me? [ame="https://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7YLJSaMaE"]YouTube - Graham Webb world cycling champion 1967[/ame] and https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Gener...6&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=14822&EXPAND=15 Im also on FR.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Here's one class photo of 1956, how many can you recognize? I'm standing under the letter 'C' with a light polo jumper on.

Graham.

hi Bob,

another one that went to Dennis rd school i am on the I.O.M photo front row left hand side, whot years were you at the school.

I too am a graduate of the Dennis Road academy for misfits. Bounders and budding tea leafs.

I did my time from 1958 to 1962, classes 1.1 Mr Owen, 2.1 Mr Biddle 3.1 Mr Jones and the last year 4.1 Mr Tebbut.

I see old Bertie Biddle in your photo’s. he was a grand old man, and he knew his history, and often talked to us about WW1 when he was gassed in the trenches. And why not? He was there and he had lived through it loosing many of his friends in the process, so why shouldn’t he talk about it? I'm afraid he would be thought not very PC today.

I also recognise some of the faces in the 62/63 fifth year. It was voluntary then, you could stay on from 15-16 for an extra year if you wished. I think there is about a half a dozen there on the right that I recognise.

Mr Griffin on the one photo was head teacher during my sojourn at this seat of learning.

Phil

well guys I'm gobsmacked that you have all responded to my new thread. PMC1947 you must have been in the same class as me, and Graham you were a superstar in Balsall Heath and Spakhill/brooke. You really stand out in the holiday camp picture. The bad news I'm affraid is that Mr Jones the teacher of 3a and also took Geography behind you to the right, died last year of a stroke in his home town in Wales. He did a lot for us kids at school and Carneige Boys clubs in Moseley, where a lot of the delinquents of Dennis Rd went for recreation. Mr Jones was one of the best people I have ever met in my life. Graham why don't you post all your school photos on Friends United site as theres a few of the old school there too. I'm on the 1st fith year class & cricket photos ( no one had whites on as we could not afford the outlay) and was the capt. of the football team, yes me in the bottom middle with the continental V neck shirt, the others where realy p'ed off that I had this special shirt to ware. graham do you remember Alan Perry who was also a good cyclist fom our school but was 3 years younger than you? Fredrick I can't recall you as my 1st year was 1958/9.

I was also at Dennis Road and the Carniege boys club but a bit before you others. I rember going on a trip to the Festival of Brittain in about 1951 with the school and with the club riding on the open back of a lorry for a week at a camp at Tenbury Wells. HSE would love it today.

Hi Bob,

I've been called many things in many languages but super star is about the best yet, you can come again!

Sorry I didn't like Taffy Jones he gave a zero for PE on my rapport with the comment "very weak"! I wonder if he ever found out that I won 25 championships in the toughest sport going? Bad judge that.

I went to the Isle of Man with the school c 1951, possibly the first of what was to become an annual outing.

Having caught the train at New Street we arrived at Liverpool with time to spare before catching the ferry so were treated to a ride on the overhead railway, now demolished.

All this and a week at the holiday camp for the sum of eight pounds, doesn't sound a lot now but I remember we had to take so much a week to school to pay for it.

On a separate note, was the Mr Jones referred to the same one that married a lady teacher from the junior school.

how old would mr Jones have been do you know i remember him at school if he had trouble in class with any hard nut he would say to them i will see you after school for a fight there was never anyone waiting for him and the kids in question would be quieter the next day.

another photo of the lads on the I.O.M trip.

Great photo again Fred; I forgot to mention that my holiday camp photo came from your collection.

You can see from this photo that Dennis Road School and its inmates, makes Guantánamo Bay look like a pleasure resort!

Last edited:
Talking about being scared of teachers does anyone remember Mr Oldham, he would soon sort todays kids out.

I too am a graduate of the Dennis Road academy for misfits. Bounders and budding tea leafs.

I also recognise some of the faces in the 62/63 fifth year. It was voluntary then, you could stay on from 15-16 for an extra year if you wished.

Phil,

great stuff! I had served my time and was due to be released at the age of 14 in 1958, but I volunteered to stay on. I was in the ATC, 492 squadron, Hall Green, and I'd been accepted as an RAF apprentice, Halton. But the day I became of age for Halton my mum wouldn't sign the necessary paper work. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I remember Dennis Road as a school of life, not as a seat of learning. Talking about seats of learning; anyone remember the Technical Drawing teacher that used to cane our bare bums with a Rotan Charlie Chaplin cane?

ps, sorry for the double wording, Rotan & cane; Rotan is of course Malaysian for 'cane'.

Last edited:
well guys I'm gobsmacked that you have all responded to my new thread. PMC1947 you must have been in the same class as me.

Bob,

I have to be honest I do not recogsise your name or your photo so its possible that you were in the year above or below me. As I said I recognise a couple of lads from the 62/63 original fifth year photo. The Stringer cousins and Alan Jevons, so if they were in your class, you knew me. I agree with you about Mr Jones he was a good man. He stuck to the rules and as far as I can remember was the only teacher who entered your name in the punishment book when he gave you the cane, I remember having to fetch the book from Mr Griffin the headmasters office many times.

Do you remember he evening films shows he used to run in the school hall, films like The Blob and Tarantula. I went to many of those the only trouble was you couldn't have a smoke and there wasn't much chance of meeting any girls.

Phil

I agree with you about Mr Jones he was a good man. He stuck to the rules

In PT I used to vault my a*** off for Taffy Jones and one day I landed very badly, dislocating the fingers on my right hand. They were pointing in all directions and had gone jet black, I showed my hand to Jones (no Mr.) and he smiled saying "rub it man, it'll get better", and walked away. I reset my fingers myself and vowed never to work for that man(?) again. If he had 'stuck to the rules' Phil then he should have taken me to hospital! Like most bad teachers he had his favourite (sheep) and the rest were muck in his eyes.

i was speaking to Malcomb Jeferies front row of the I.O.M photo right hand side he said that he had been to the I.O.M a few years ago and we wouldn't recognize the the holiday camp now it is all derelicte and over grown.

Cadeau
Mentioned you to the hard man at school Jonnie Powel from Brunswick Road today at my golf glub, who also remembers your exploites and sends his regards, But if MR yes MR taffy Jones had it in for you or you ruffeled his feathers he always gave you dagger look's for the rest of your time at school. Taffy used to take us Rock Climing and was the patron of the duke of Edingborough Award scheam. That took over from the IOM holiday where you lot wore funny hats and what are the guys holding in the photo? Wheres the chics?

Hi Bob,

I've been called many things in many languages but super star is about the best yet, you can come again!

Sorry I didn't like Taffy Jones he gave a zero for PE on my rapport with the comment "very weak"! I wonder if he ever found out that I won 25 championships in the toughest sport going? Bad judge that.

No he was a bachealor not the singing type, nice to meet you Darby. Its amazing how many guys on this site went to this learned school, didnt' do much for our spelling what? Ha Ha

I went to the Isle of Man with the school c 1951, possibly the first of what was to become an annual outing.

Having caught the train at New Street we arrived at Liverpool with time to spare before catching the ferry so were treated to a ride on the overhead railway, now demolished.

All this and a week at the holiday camp for the sum of eight pounds, doesn't sound a lot now but I remember we had to take so much a week to school to pay for it.

On a separate note, was the Mr Jones referred to the same one that married a lady teacher from the junior school.

pmc I was born Oct 1947 and was probably in the year below you as you noticed Alan Jevons. Who were the Stringers. Yes thats me at the end of the line right back row in the 5ths. I was in the 1st 5ths if you see what i mean? do you know the other guys and can you name some like Lenny Cox on the back row who played for the famouse 60,s band "The King Bees" See brum bands history site "Brumbeat". I do remember the film nights with no chics, that was the only problem with Dennis Road no girls didnt do anything for our chat up lines. They even stopped the dance lesons at conway Road School in my last year, I'm sure I could tast Bromide in the small bottles of milk.

Bob,

I have to be honest I do not recogsise your name or your photo so its possible that you were in the year above or below me. As I said I recognise a couple of lads from the 62/63 original fifth year photo. The Stringer cousins and Alan Jevons, so if they were in your class, you knew me. I agree with you about Mr Jones he was a good man. He stuck to the rules and as far as I can remember was the only teacher who entered your name in the punishment book when he gave you the cane, I remember having to fetch the book from Mr Griffin the headmasters office many times.

Do you remember he evening films shows he used to run in the school hall, films like The Blob and Tarantula. I went to many of those the only trouble was you couldn't have a smoke and there wasn't much chance of meeting any girls.

Phil

Bob, he took us hill climbing and I was first to the top he struggled up some 20 mins behind me, he never uttered a word, like 'well done' just gave me the daggers. I guess he was just jealous of my physique.

Spelling at Dennis Road? The teachers didn't have a clue so how could they teach us spelling! Never learnt a thing there, I now can speak and write several languages, English still isn't my strongest!

Say hallo to Jonnie Powel for me.

Back