• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Demolition threat to Victorian Arts and Crafts building in Kings Norton

JoeD

Granton is a former doctors surgery on Middleton Hall Road which was constructed I believe in the middle of the 19th century as a private residence and then was converted to a surgery in early 1900s in the Arts and Crafts style designed by Birmingham architects Newton and Cheatle. It became a surgery in 1905 and has continued to be so used until, March 2021 when the practice was merged with two other practices and resisted to a new build health centre on the Bristol Road. Granton was purchased by a company operating private cosmetic surgery clinics indicating that they wished to continue to use it for that purpose. No planning applications were made for 12 months until a notice of intention to demolish was posted under a change to planning law introduced in June 2020 which gives permitted development rights to owners of buildings which have been vacant for over six months. The only explanation on the documentation from the owner is that Granton is no longer fit for use as a medical facility and under the new legislation there is no requirement to submit plans for any proposed new building before demolition . It transpires that the new owner not only runs a cosmetic surgery business but also has a property development company!
Many local residents have submitted objections on the Birmingham City Council planning portal and earlier this week the Council posted on the railings outside Granton a Building preservation notice section 3 of the Plannig( Listed Building and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 to the effect that the council believes that the building is of special architectural and historic interest and has asked the Secretary of State for Digital ,Culture, Media and Sport to include the Building in the list of buildings of such interest complied or approved under section1 of the PLBCA Act 1990. This prevents any works on the building for up to six months while the Secretary of State considers the Council’s application but leaves demolition open as a possibility if no listing is approved.
The City’s Conservation Officer has advised us that the more information that can be gathered on the history of Granton the stronger the case that can be put forward and so I have come onto your forum to ask whether anyone has any information on Granton and/ or the development of Middleton Hall Road through the Victorian era and into the Edwardian period to help us to preserve this beautiful building.
Apologies for the length and detail of this post but we feel that the threat to Granton is real and urgent and so any help that can be given will be much appreciated.
Regards
Joe Donovan

hi joe and welcome...i am sure some of our members maybe able to help you in finding out the history of granton...i am not familiar with this building so could you post a photo of it for us please....i wish you all well in saving it because as we know only too well we have lost far too many of our historical buildings...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Thank you for your interest - I tried to post photo of Granton but apparantly file size too large for server - my IT skills are limited but will seek help to reduce file size so can post photo

I think you may be right and I’ve had some duff info about it being a Victorian building that was converted. Apparently on one of the large ornate chimney stacks the Roman numerals 1905 have been formed in brick patterns . It seems likely from the maps that it was purpose built as a doctors surgery in 1905 in Arts and Crafts style - there was originally a small stables/coach house built just along Selly Oak Road ( still there but later extended to make into a house ) - I think the info on architects Newton and Cheatle is accurate. Problem is we can find very little properly documented info on the building - which we need to persuade govt to list .

This is getting complicated. There is listed in directories a building in Middleton Hall Road named Granton back to at least 1985. It does not appear to be listed in the 1892 directory. Unfortunately these early directories do not have a street list in Kings Norton, nor list be number. It was occupied by a Bertram Jordan in the 1895 edition, and here he adds M.B.(not M.D.) to his name. He is listed there in the 1896, 1897 and 1899 directories. In the 1900 directory he is listed as Bertram Jordan. M.D. In 1903 & 1904 he lists himself there as M.D.,B.Ch.,B.A.O. surgeon, but in 1908 edition he just adds M.D. (still listed at Granton). By the 1910 edition, Kings Norton is now listed as part of Birmingham and so a street directory is included, and Granton is named at the corner of Selly Oak Road, with Bertram F, Jordan M.D.,B.Ch. listed there. It should be noted that year is publication date and probably refers to year before.
To me it would seem that He was probably the first tenant. The 1892 directory has far fewer houses listed in Middleton Hall road than the one three years later, indicating that this is when manyn of the houses in the road were being built. Possibly he had not aquired a full M.D. when he first moved in. He may just have used it as a private house inititally, it only becoming a surgery later

I too have campaigned to save a historic building and was successful. It took quite a few years to do, but the best advice I had was right at the start by this guy here. By following and learning from his mistakes, we were able to campaign from a position of strength. I would add to this by saying that you have to make the building tell a story of the past and give it value to the wider community.

The planning site contains two decisions posted on Friday 6th May 2022.

enter this planning number

2022/03164/PA​

Then "view associated documents"

It is easier to visit the site and read the info than for me to post the link (last time I tried the link was a changing one - don't understand but it only worked briefly).

Main para
8. Conclusion
8.1. The submission has not demonstrated that the proposed demolition would not have a harmful impact upon the habitat of bats which may be roosting at the property. I therefore consider that this provides sustainable grounds upon which to recommend refusal of the application.

Second document
Application for a prior notification for the proposed demolition of existing building at 114 Middleton Hall Road, Kings Norton, Birmingham, B30 1DH BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL HEREBY REFUSE PERMISSION FOR DEMOLITION AND THE PROPOSED RESTORATION OF THE SITE PROPOSED ABOVE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS:

It was occupied by a Bertram Jordan in the 1895 edition, and here he adds M.B.(not M.D.) to his name. He is listed there in the 1896, 1897 and 1899 directories. In the 1900 directory he is listed as Bertram Jordan. M.D. In 1903 & 1904 he lists himself there as M.D.,B.Ch.,B.A.O. surgeon, but in 1908 edition he just adds M.D. (still listed at Granton). By the 1910 edition, Kings Norton is now listed as part of Birmingham and so a street directory is included, and Granton is named at the corner of Selly Oak Road, with Bertram F, Jordan M.D.,B.Ch. listed there. It should be noted that year is publication date and probably refers to year before.
According to the medical register he registered in 1890. This is the 1923 entry.
1651928114862.png

I am not at the moment sure what the "E" stands for - others have "S" which could be surgeon.

1895 entry
1651928268594.png

Last edited:
In the 1896 directory his home address appears to be Granton and his medical practice seems to be 7 The Street Northfield.

Hi guys, I believe I can help here. My grandparents Dr Joseph Gray and his wife Una Gray lived in 114 Middleton Hall Road for many years. Unfortunately my grandfather died just before I was born, but visiting Granny and that fantastic playground of a house as a child has left me with many happy memories. The only place I wasn’t allowed to go was into the surgery, which was a separate partitioned area of the house which at the time was a working surgery. But aside from that we had free rein, including the coach house at the bottom of the garden which was part of the property at the time. Granny sold the property around 1985, and moved to Cardiff to be closer to her family until her passing some years back. If you have questions then fire away :)

Attachments

• 52494B55-7DDA-4AE7-BB52-D063D9AE3CEC.jpeg
    52494B55-7DDA-4AE7-BB52-D063D9AE3CEC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Few more pics here, of the main property and also the coach house which is now a separate converted property

Attachments

• 794B392A-72F6-4593-81A4-A0B9E70945E0.jpeg
    794B392A-72F6-4593-81A4-A0B9E70945E0.jpeg
    947.9 KB · Views: 22
  • F2CFB959-BE56-435B-8D33-0A9A75858600.jpeg
    F2CFB959-BE56-435B-8D33-0A9A75858600.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
Actually 1905 is correctly represented in roman numerals as MCMV. However a good attempt to use the date in brick.
There is no 'O' in roman numerals.

Back