• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Demolition Of Birmingham City 1958

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
I'm not sure if these You Tube clips have been seen on here before, I know I have seen a couple of them before. If they have been on before then please delete them by all means. If not then they make enjoyable and informative viewing.

volume 1

volume 2

volume 3

volume 4

thanks phil i have seen one of them before but not the others....informative yes..enjoyable not really:(

lyn

Interesting watch, wouldn't have minded a bit of commentary.

What was the bloke painting black lines in the first clip doing?

i wondered that mws...loved the bit with the horse and cart in as well...just a bit sad to see so much of the city go...and of course still going

lyn

Interesting watch, wouldn't have minded a bit of commentary.

What was the bloke painting black lines in the first clip doing?

Was he marking out the pitches for the stalls and the barrow boys?

Well, 1948 saw a lot of demolition, I believe, of bomb damaged and other unsafe structures. Here we have more demolition in 1958.

Is this a ten year cycle? Anything significant happen in 1968, 1978, 1988 or 1998? I see a lot has also happened so far this century.

Was he marking out the pitches for the stalls and the barrow boys?

If he was he wasn't hurrying himself, nor worried about the traffic.

i wondered that mws...loved the bit with the horse and cart in as well...just a bit sad to see so much of the city go...and of course still going

lyn

Somewhat before my time so no sense of loss or nostalgia really, to me most of the buildings just look old and dirty, possibly made worse by the picture quality.

Back