• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Delta Wire Adderley Street Deritend previously United Non Ferrous metal company.

JohnCash

I worked as an apprentice from 1968 to 1976, it was a good place to work, it closed down in early 1970s I think and some employees moved on to Delta in West Bromwich.
It would be good to here off anyone who worked there.

Hi John, I worked shifts in the Lab here in 67/68, so I must have been in my early 20's then.
I remember that it was a really nice place to work as everyone was so happy & friendly. The offices and building themselves were also nice and pleasant. I can only recall that the chap in charge of us in the Lab was Arthur Daniels, and one of the people on shifts that I worked with was Dave Grayland. (Tranferred to Delta Metals later)
Unfortunately management decided to reduce the number of people on a shift from 3 to 2, so as one of the last people to arrive I was offered a job as 'floater' on days, covering for people who were sick or who wanted a day off. This invariably meant that every Friday night I got called to do night shift! You can imagine how this affected my bio-rhythm after a couple of months, hence I managed to get a transfer to the Lab at the Delta in Dartmouth Street - see my recent post under the Delta Metals forum.

Hi John, I worked shifts in the Lab here in 67/68, so I must have been in my early 20's then.
I remember that it was a really nice place to work as everyone was so happy & friendly. The offices and building themselves were also nice and pleasant. I can only recall that the chap in charge of us in the Lab was Arthur Daniels, and one of the people on shifts that I worked with was Dave Grayland. (Tranferred to Delta Metals later)
Unfortunately management decided to reduce the number of people on a shift from 3 to 2, so as one of the last people to arrive I was offered a job as 'floater' on days, covering for people who were sick or who wanted a day off. This invariably meant that every Friday night I got called to do night shift! You can imagine how this affected my bio-rhythm after a couple of months, hence I managed to get a transfer to the Lab at the Delta in Dartmouth Street - see my recent post under the Delta Metals forum.
I cannot remember anyone in the labs but my very good friend John Peace worked in the drawing office I also remember Jack Insull personal I think and Tony Daly work study engineer a little younger than me, I was a mechanical apprentice on the shop floor now 71 years of age I left Delta in 1975.

I worked at Delta Wire 1976/1978 as an electrician's mate while I saved up to move to the USA. We went on strike once but called it off after a couple of hours because they wouldn't let us in the cafeteria! ;)

I'm having trouble remembering people's names right now but, hopefully, can remember them at some point.

The large 2,000 ton extruder that ate heated "billets" and formed the initial extruded wire was opened by Ena Sharples (Coronation Street) I believe in 1963.

Working shifts (maintenance) meant a lot of time not actually working. This is when I was taught to play serious chess by a Scottish man who's name I have forgotten. I've always remembered him as I became Master level after leaving the UK in part due to his training.

I always enjoyed working there and remember it fondly, it was the job that enabled me to emigrate and start a new life in the USA.

...just remembered one name, Alan Little, a redhead (ginger). We used to walk to a used car dealer that sold American cars and dreamed about owning one. I knew nothing about cars and Alan helped me several times to keep my clapped out 1971 Ford Capri running.

Last edited:
We must have been there at the same time I remember Dave Little electrician he had a Ford cortina 1600E a real nice car at that time, the press was 2500Ton by the way and I worked with Billy Casey & Ronnie Hanson ( night shift), also do you remember Graham Haynes maintenance fitter.

We must have been there at the same time I remember Dave Little electrician he had a Ford cortina 1600E a real nice car at that time, the press was 2500Ton by the way and I worked with Billy Casey & Ronnie Hanson ( night shift), also do you remember Graham Haynes maintenance fitter.
You're right about the press... 2500Ton. I don't remember the names you mention, but my memory for names seems to be fading fast these days. I did remember another name, Ken Woodward, electrician, he retired when I left in September 78. I have a photo of him in Weston-Super-Mare and will post it if I can find it.

You're right about the press... 2500Ton. I don't remember the names you mention, but my memory for names seems to be fading fast these days. I did remember another name, Ken Woodward, electrician, he retired when I left in September 78. I have a photo of him in Weston-Super-Mare and will post it if I can find it.
I don't remember a Ken Woodward from my time, I am surprised you don't remember Billy Casey a big Irish man who worked on the press as a maintenance fitter, the personal manager when I was there was Jack Insull and Ray Tysall was another maintenance fitter and Les Green a Turner in the maintenance workshop Frank Nunn was the forman.

I don't remember a Ken Woodward from my time, I am surprised you don't remember Billy Casey a big Irish man who worked on the press as a maintenance fitter, the personal manager when I was there was Jack Insull and Ray Tysall was another maintenance fitter and Les Green a Turner in the maintenance workshop Frank Nunn was the forman.
Hello Cashy,

The only name of those you mentioned is Frank Nunn. I remember him waking me up once from a deep sleep in his office! Here's a pic of Ken Woodward from 1978.

Update: Apparently his picture does not render correctly when posted. I don't know what the problem is. I'll try again later.

My Dad, Andy Uprichard, was a centre lathe turner at Delta Wire in the 1960s and 70s. He loved his time there, maybe not so much towards the end when he used to complain about poor management and bad investment decisions. I came across a book 'Ten Bob an Hour' by Steve Phillips who was an apprentice there and worked with my Dad and mentions him in his book. There are some errors (he reckoned my Dad worked on The Titanic which sank 13 years before my Dad was born) but it's a good insight into Birmingham and the factory environment. You can get it on Amazon

Back