• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Delivery Bikes

Sorry, the prison sentence (deleted now) was for a different Samuel Stanton.

He seems to have had a good sized business in 1881 - employing 72 men and 92 boys.

Oh dear, I quite liked the idea of a criminal in the family! I had seen on the 1881 census about the number of people he employed which is why I hoped there may be some news report on the business going bankrupt and why.
thanks again

Not sure what court records are available from that time. He was summoned to the Official Receiver' chambers in 1888.

There may even be evidence of the old Pashley works in Chester Street too. Is this the old works, now an electricity station near the junction with Rocky Lane ? Viv.
pashley was just around the corner from whitehouse st. i remember the works before it was sold to a hollowware companypashley.pnges

When I lived on Hobmoor Road the Butchers (whose name I cannot recall) and the grocery shop Wrenson‘s had delivery bikes with the large basket / frame on the front of the bike ,late on a Friday (the busy delivery night) I and some of my mates would act as’ runners‘ for the delivery boys , and we would then jump on the front of the bike 1 on the saddle, the delivery boy peddling, and 2 of us on the front basket frame. Coming down Hobmoor hill at a rate of knots, the bike had the old rigid bar brakes (and a dynamo rear wheel)
We were young and reckless then and thankfully our bodies more flexible and bounced when we hit the ground.

That's interesting Mort, and at a time when 'do-it-yourself' supermarkets had become fashionable too. I expect for some people it was still a very convenient service, especially where regular orders were concerned.

According to the 1947 Roundsman advert one problem for shopkeepers claims to be: "It is difficult to find youths willing to pedal a loaded bicycle ..."

Viv
not all youngsters :)1664605241985.png

Back