• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dedication of Guards Memorial.

George1468

master brummie
For Information. A service of Dedication of the (Brigade of Guards) Household Division Memorial at the Arboretum, Alrewas, Staffs. on Thursday 3rd December, 2009 at 1.30pm. HRH The Prince Philip. Duke of Edinburgh will be present

hi all
I see that another guardsman (my Regt) killed the other day, I always that thought that the Horse Guards memorial a little remote for most ex guardsmen who tended to come from outside London, the normal recruiting area for my Regt, "Coldstream Regiment of Foot guards" tends to be ( Gordie, Yorkshire, Birmingham). I havn't seen the new memorial but will pay a visit now I know it is there.
paul

Today

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IWD3dpOk6I"]YouTube- National Memorial Arboretum 3rd December 2009.avi[/ame]

Ticket onle, hope to have pics Sunday

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxgdJZxq5L8"]YouTube- National Memorial Arboretum December 3rd 2009.avi[/ame]

Dave M, Just back from the Dedication Ceremony, which was very well attended. my wife Eileen and I were lucky enough to be presented to The Duke of Edinburgh after the event, along with other members of the Scots Guards. A very cordial experience. I also spoke with the father and brother of the Coldstream Guardsman who was killed whilst serving with the Welsh Guards. They were very appreciative of the support the family had been given from the members of the public, after their sad loss. All of the seven Regiments of the Houshold Division were represented. Friends attended from London, Kent, Manchester and Stoke on Trent. Thanks for your post, Regards George

Dave, I could have got you a ticket.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post, that a separate Private presentation to the parents, wife's and partners of those killed took place in the Marquees after the ceremony, when the Duke of Edinburgh presented the new, Elizabeth Medal. George.

Dave, I could have got you a ticket.

George thanks for that, not the place fo me on this day, Thanks Dave

Hi George, looks as if you had a wonderful day at Alrewas, I would loved to have been there but I am laid up with bronchitis at the moment, the
pictures are very good and am looking forward to seeing more, I noticed a
few "Lillywhite" caps in the crowd and would like tohave spoken the family of the latest Coldstreamer to be killed. I only live half an hours drive from the NMA I really must go more often, regards Bernard, Coldstream Gds
1948/53.

Last edited:
The large 'Badges' of the five regiments of the Foot Guards, now forming part of the memorial were recovered from the gates at Chelsea Barracks after the demolition and were given to the respective Regiments. They had been in store awaiting decisions of what to do with them. What a wonderful was to make use of them. Apparently each one weighs a terrific amount. The paving around the bottom is from various areas of the country where the regiments belong. George

Dave, sorry, I forgot to say thank you for the photographs. My friend and the photographer has given me a disc with the days events on. But I cannot load them for some reason. Hopefully he will sort them out for me.:redface:

Back