• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Deciphering a Name please

smtr

master brummie
Hello

Would anyone be able to decipher this name that is on a marriage certificate please. He is one of the witnesses.

I know his first name is Joseph but his surname has got me confused:)

Thanks

Suzanne

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 87
it is a good one suzanne...hope someone may have an inclin as to the name...first letter could be a D..not much help is it lol...

lyn

This is what I think I can see Joseph. A. Halles Lieu was he Continental?

Suzanne, it might be worth ringing the RO and asking John Yates if he can read it. First of all I thought the last name it might be Gill, but the two L's are not as large as the others. Have you tried to find him on the census nearest to the date and see what comes up when you just put the Christian names in? Can take some time, but I have managed to track down a birth in 1891 when I did not know the name of the mother. Patience required - in spades!.

I would buy that one Lynne........it looks like Joseph Charles , but still not certain about his surname, but Gill is as good as any..!!!

Could be Gill but I seem to see a loop where the 'I' would be.

I wouldn't take to much notice of the loop Bernie, if you saw the way I signed my last name, you wouldn't think that the last few letters are LIN.....looks more like a U on its side......

Hi all and thanks for your suggestions. The year was 1879.

I thought it could begin with A or A was his second initial. I've tried looking on census but will continue to search. This person was a witness at my gt gt grandparents wedding at st Phillips.

Suzanne

Suzanne - is this him

Joseph Gill,​ Elizabeth Smith
Joseph Charles Gill
Male
28 Oct 1829
SAINT PHILLIPS,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
24 Sep 1829
Joseph Gill
Elizabeth Smith
C04179-7
England-ODM
813720, 813721

name:
baptism/christening place:
birth date:
father's name:
mother's name:
indexing project (batch) number:
system origin:
source film number:

Thanks Carolina for looking. The thing is I just can't "see" the charles part. I can see what would look like ".harles" or ".halles" but it doesn't look like a "C" as the first letter. Looks more like a Capital "A".

I can see this isn't going to be easy but with folks like you helping I might just get to the bottom of it.

Thanks so much and I will look into the Joseph Charles Gill:)

Suzanne

Carolina

I've just found this Joseph Gill in the 1851 and he is a Parish Clerk!!!!! wonder if that's the answer. Will look at further entries.

Suzanne

EDIT: Although I must say I don't see the GILL in the surname on the certif ? It's almost as if the last 3 letters are initials for something as previously suggested on here.

Its so funny that we all see different names and letters, I cannot see the letter "A", not 100% for the surname Gill, but would accept that more than "General", because he has signed his full name and wrote Joseph and maybe Charles all in one, it has distorted the letters slightly....!!

Its so funny that we all see different names and letters, I cannot see the letter "A", not 100% for the surname Gill, but would accept that more than "General", because he has signed his full name and wrote Joseph and maybe Charles all in one, it has distorted the letters slightly....!!

I know aston lad. The more I look at it the more none of it makes sense. I suppose it's not important as he was a witness but these gt gt grandparents are shrouded in a little mystery and I thought this witness' name might help solve a part.

Cheers
Suzanne

Suzanne what about this one?

Joshua Coop to Frances Summers
19th April 1857 at St Phillips, Birmingham
Joshua Coop - age 26 - Bachelor - Occupation - Painter - Living at King Edwards Road - Father - Robert Coop - Occupation - Blacksmith
Married
Frances Summers - age 23 - Spinster - Living at King Edwards Road - Father - Francis Summers - Occupation - Woollen Draper
Witnesses are - Joseph Charles Gell and Mary (Min????)

Back