• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Decipher this please!

Macca

master brummie
Hi all,

Can anyone decipher the address on this 1901 census return. It looks to me like 'Launiston Place' Witton Road but I cannot find it listed anywhere so I must be wrong.

Thanks
Macca

W

Wendy

You are not wrong Macca it is as you read it. These were often small courts long gone. Someone may be able to locate it on an old map.:)

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Its Lauriston and its listed in my old Street by Street Guide.

Don't forget Macca it was Pen & Ink in those days and the person that did your family his writing is good.:)

Last edited:

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
Hi.

It's Lauriston Place B6 Witton Birmingham.

I found it listed in the AZ New De Luxe Page 60 4A.

It's possible that in 1901 there was a place of this name and may have pulled down, and rebuild some years later with the same name

It appears to be in Witton Rd , Masefield Rd. Fentham Rd Area.

Ray a Brummie no longer living in Birmingham.

W

Wendy

What great team work. Well done Shera for getting the name right!:)

Pimpernel

master brummie
Hi, catching up with this old thread. I've Shelley ascendants in Lauriston Place and would like to find out more about the area. Does anyone have links/pointers to photos etc of Witton Road in the early 1900's}?

Pimpernel

master brummie
Maps of the road are mentioned above, is there a link to any of these? Whereabouts on Witton Road would Lauriston Place have been located?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pimpernel

A lot of the earlier attachment on the forum were lost when the site was hacked, the maps and photos you refer to were more than likely among them.

Lauriston Place was at the rear of 264 Witton Rd just after it's junction with Trinity Road.

Attachments

• Witton Rd.JPG
    Witton Rd.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 10

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below is a map c 1904 showing lauriston place in red
(Phil. Sorry My turn to be late this time)

map_c_1904_showing_lauriston_place.jpg

Pimpernel

master brummie
This is really helpful, many thanks Phil and Mike :)
I found some photos of the Witton area on the web, mostly from the 1960's/70's, I'm trying to get my bearings on maps as I don't remember the area myself, apart from passing through it on the train. I've a lot of family heritage in the Witton area between 1900 and 1950's though: my GGrandfather Albert Shelley and family moved to 7 Brixton Place, Priory Road from Chipping Norton around 1899, then to 147 Tame Road by 1911, while several of his children settled in Witton Road - daughter Mary Louisa with husband George Turner to 90 Witton Road, son William and daughter Matilda to 3 Lauriston Place, and son Henry to 4 Lauriston Place (3/198 Witton Lane by 1919).

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Pimpernel

This is the junction of Witton Rd & Trinity Rd, in the middle of the photo you can see a black pick up truck parked mostly on the pavement. The truck is parked alongside Lauriston Place.

Attachments

• Aston Witton Rd (2).jpg
    Aston Witton Rd (2).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 20

Pimpernel

master brummie
Oh this is excellent, thank you Phil! The weather brings back a lot of memories, in Birmingham it always seemed to be raining in the 1960's :). I tried comparing this photo to the google street view, the buildings on this side of the crossing are still intact, but the other side of Trinity Road, all gone.