• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Decimalisation In 1971

My first wife worked in a bank when we went decimal.

All the coins were delivered in small sealed cellophane "packs" of 100 coins each.

I got three packs of these coins the day we went decimal, a pack of half penny, a pack of penny, and a pack of two penny (I paid for them of course).

I STILL have them in their sealed cellophane packs, and they have never been opened and never been touched by human hand.

Not that I would sell them, but are they worth anything (apart from face value of course)

Try here, will at least give you a clue. AFAIK circulated coins are worth more; https://www.google.co.uk/products?q=1948+1d+&aq=f

As I understand it the florin was introduced in 1849 as a first step to decinalisation, but the scheme then went into hibernation for a few years !

Pity the threepenny bit had to go (I think it maybe went some time before decimalisation, although could be wrong). I loved the look and feel of that coin. Seemed such a sensible coin instead of carrying around 3 big pennies. Viv.

Many of you will already know that I am in the proccess of de-cluttering. What that really means is that I am sifting through me old belongings. Today I came across a box of coins, many of them foreign and I have no idea why I kept them. They could be from my days on BMMO when we had to count the money, then pay in. Some will be from my Hackney Cariage days. But, I also have about a dozen silver 3d pieces. I brassy six sided 3d bit, a load of half crowns and florins, halpennies and farthings, pennies and sixpenny pieces. The ealiest date on one of them is 1887

Many of you will already know that I am in the proccess of de-cluttering. What that really means is that I am sifting through me old belongings. Today I came across a box of coins, many of them foreign and I have no idea why I kept them. They could be from my days on BMMO when we had to count the money, then pay in. Some will be from my Hackney Cariage days. But, I also have about a dozen silver 3d pieces. I brassy six sided 3d bit, a load of half crowns and florins, halpennies and farthings, pennies and sixpenny pieces. The ealiest date on one of them is 1887
If you find a penny dated 1933, its worth a fortune, even a 1938 will get a few bob from a serious collector, they scratch the 8 to make it look like a three, just for their display cabinets, the reason it seems there were only about ten 1933 pennies made

My son is a coin collector and has a lot of old coins. I love the threepenny bit he has, and also a Victoran crown given to me by my gran and the threepenny bits we used to have in our Christmas pudding. The one I love is a farthing given to me by the boy next door when I was five.

Oh! I Remember it Well. 14 Febuary 1971 I was on on Strike as was every other Postman and Woman
in the country. We were out from 20th Jan, til March 7th I think it was, six wasted weeks, caused a lot
of bad feelings among the workforce, and lucky Enid was at work and could pay the mortgage. Bernard

Last edited:
I remember a lot of shops took advantage, in a queue in the Coop butchers and I clearly remember steak being priced the day before at 6/6d a 1lb and on D day he put it on reduced for D day 52p, people were falling for it until I pointed it out, he said he had made an honest mistake, me thinks not

Great coins Ray! I don't remember a Crown. I suppose that would have been 5/- would it if half a crown was 2/6d ? Viv.

Ah.... That explains it Ray, thought I'd never seen a five bob piece. Looking at your set of coins and trying to convert them to decimal equivalents made me realise what a performance £ s d was. Yes Frothblower, I completely agree with you how much easier decimalisation made all this. Why on earth did we have a system that had (now where's that thinking cap):
12 pence per shilling
2 sixpencies in a shilling
20 shillings in a pound
21 shillings in a guinea .........Not to mention the florins, the half- crowns and the ten bob notes! No wonder I was rubbish at maths at school. Viv

Decimalisation,brought a lot of problems,the cost of living went up quite a lot.The continentals were confused because they worked by the dozen and the gross (144) which suited trade with our currency.Working for an American firm,(who hate decimalisation)was very difficult,they used blueprints that contained both metrification and imperial measure.
My favourite coin was always half a crown,it was often called "lift the latch money" the price of 2 pints in the pub.

Back