• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Deceased Or Ex Member’s avatars

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Whilst looking through the posts today, I came across one posted by Dek Carr. Now a lot of us know that he is no longer with us, but you can still look at his profile, so newer members would think he is still around and post a reply or ask him a question. The same goes with ex members. Only today someone posted on the 'In the garden today 2' thread and asked Gardengerald a question. Now I believe he is no longer a member on here, so my question would be, Is there a way you could mark old members with the status, i:e Dek Carr(Deceased) Gardengerald (Ex member) to hopefully save newer members any confusion. This is only a suggestion so what do others think?

Terry

hi terry..this subject has recently been discussed by jim and moderators... it has always been the case that if members leave the forum for whatever reason they will show up as a GUEST underneath their avatar....for our deceased members we decided that underneath their avatars it would be appropriate to put GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTON...i noticed that dek carr is still showing as member so i will ask jim to put this right...

lyn

I think that is a good idea.

An elderly friend of mine died a few months ago, and he had a Facebook account.

A couple of days ago I got a message from Facebook saying "Its Fred's Birthday today, wish him a Happy Birthday"

A few people who did not know he had died updated his Facebook page with messages like "Happy Birthday. Have a great day Fred".

So rather unfortunate.

Facebook now has a "Legacy Contact" option who can update your Facebook account for when you have "gone".

i have sent a message to jim asking him to amend deks signature and also from memory to check deceased members

mikeg
elizabeth redmond
jackie hill
lencops
bobbyb
peter walker

if you know of any other members who have passed on please let us know

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
Thats a thought Guilbert, BHF could have wished Dek 'happy birthday' if it though he was still a member..

I've tried to delete my previous post but I did'nt know how.
(Now Deleted)

Last edited by a moderator:
FaceBook and LinkedIn are notorious for circulating details of dead members. I've written to LinkedIn several times about a friend whose funeral I went to, but all to no avail. They just don't want to know.

Maurice

does not surprise me one little bit maurice... not nice especially as you had informed them....i am sure that you will all understand that we on bhf have to rely on either family or friends informing us when a member passes away and out of the thousands of members we have i would think we have lost plenty that we do not know of in which case they will stay on as a full members...as said earlier i have asked jim to look into the deceased members that i know of and give them the courteous title of.."gone but not forgotton"...banned members or members who have left of their own accord will be down as "guests" and will not be able to make post on the forum...hope this clears things up for members who are not aware of this...:)

lyn

Hi Lyn,

I appreciate the difficulties of finding out if a member has died in the last eight years. Find a Will is kept fairly up to date, but with common surnames it is a bit of a pain to search and no guarantee of a probate entry. I only maintain email communication with a handful of members, so am not likely to be of much help!

Maurice

i know maurice very difficult... like i said unless we are informed there is not a lot we can do

The problem is, in some cases, a family member who has login details will use them to access the details and delete the member who has passed, and as you state, if we don't know who has passed then we can't put the appropriate information.
I have attended to bobbyb and lencops and Jackie hill, but the others may be a unsolvable problem, but I'll keep trying.
thank you for letting me know...
Jim...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back