• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Deathridge

Hello! My great great Aunt was Elizabeth (Tiz), she was my great great Gran's sister. My Grandad used to take us to her grave in Elmdon. Trying to find out more on this side of the family and its proving quite hard! If anyone has any info they think will help, please private message me! Thank you! :)

There appear to be 2 Elizabeth Deathridges that didn't marry - aunt and niece, so can't be certain which you mean.

Elizabeth Deathridge b1893, the daughter of a George Deathridge and a Jane Doherty (sp?) and an Elizabeth Rose Deathridge b1900, the daughter of a George Deathridge (elder Elizabeth's brother) and a Maud Clifford.

There appear to be 2 Elizabeth Deathridges that didn't marry - aunt and niece, so can't be certain which you mean.

Elizabeth Deathridge b1893, the daughter of a George Deathridge and a Jane Doherty (sp?) and an Elizabeth Rose Deathridge b1900, the daughter of a George Deathridge (elder Elizabeth's brother) and a Maud Clifford.
Thank you, yes, the one in 1894 is my great great aunt, my great great gran was M E Deathridge. Thank you :)

Is there anything specific you're trying to find out or just general genealogy info?

You may already know this but the elder George (May and Elizabeth's father) was born in Walworth, Surrey the son of a Richard Deathridge and an Elizabeth Nicholson.

Yes, thank you. I had found that out and was quite surprised! I'm just trying to put my tree together and learn about that side of the family, I was quite close to my great aunt and uncle (my Gran died before I was born) but they have now also passed away. My parents had some info off my Aunt but cant find it! Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

She is mentioned in the newspapers in 1958, receiving a medal (the B.E.M. ?) she was awarded in the honours list from the Earl Mountbatten. She was a Senior Overlooker in the Office of the Inspector of Naval Ordnance.

She was working for the Admiralty at the time of the 1921 census, living with her brother, Frederick at 279 Arthur Street.

Last edited:
She is mentioned in the newspapers in 1958, receiving a medal (the B.E.M. ?) she was awarded in the honours list from the Earl Mountbatten. She was a Senior Overlooker in the Office of the Inspector of Naval Ordnance.

She was working for the Admiralty at the time of the 1921 census, living with her brother, Frederick at 279 Arthur Street.
Thank you, I had heard about the BEM, but the additional info is great, thank you! I didn't know about the admiralty - That's great! Thank you! :)Very proud of her!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you, I had heard about the BEM, but the additional info is great, thank you! I didn't know about the admiralty - That's great! Thank you! :)Very proud of her!
2 newspaper reports about elizabeths medal...thanks to mikejee for looking this up

lyn

thumbnail - 2024-02-06T200406.436.jpgthumbnail - 2024-02-06T200331.509.jpg

Hello all,
Is there anyone else on the Forum with the surname Deathridge (born in Birmingham) in their family tree.
Pamela
None in my family. But that is quite surname, and must have some interesting provenance behind it.

Thats great, thank you! Ill take a look. Elizabeth is at Elmdon.

With no children of her own I wonder what happened to her medal. By the time she died only 1 of her siblings was probably still alive and he was 90ish.

Two of her brothers had no children, one had 8 and the other two both had 3. Of her sisters one emigrated, one had 2 children and you know about May.

As mentioned in post #28 above by TBL there was a Deathridge (Harold and Ivy) family who lived in the same road as Elizabeth. Harold appears to have been her nephew (son of George) and it would seem that he would have been a likely candidate to have dealt with her affairs but he seems to have died before Elizabeth.

We have wondered that, we thought my Great Aunt and Uncle may have had it but they didn't. I can only assume Harold may have it, my Mom says there may be some family in Olton, so that must be his family! I'm still trying to piece together all the children - who was the one who had 8? I have the one who emigrated and my line but that's about as far as I have got, I'm using Ancesrty.com. I seem to keep hitting dead ends with info on there, also having trouble with another side of the family too! Thank you for all your help!

As far as I can tell...

Richard and Frederick married but had no children.

George had 8 children, William (relative in post #24) and Edwin had 3 each. And Rose Alice (Tyler) had 2.

As far as I can tell...

Richard and Frederick married but had no children.

George had 8 children, William (relative in post #24) and Edwin had 3 each. And Rose Alice (Tyler) had 2.
Great, thank you. Ill take look tonight! :) Thank you again!

Interesting to note that the husband of May's sister Jane was called Duncan and both May and her brother, William, give their sons the middle name Duncan.

Hello - me again! I have found some info my aunty and uncle gave me before they died - How would I find out if George Deathridge (B.1876?) drowned? I have a note but no other info on this! Thank you

Hello - me again! I have found some info my aunty and uncle gave me before they died - How would I find out if George Deathridge (B.1876?) drowned? I have a note but no other info on this! Thank you
hi ..you could order his death certificate that should tell you

lyn

Back