• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Deathridge

Pamela there was someone asking about that name some time ago and there were Deathridg's in Dunedin road at some time. Jean.

Pamela Y, I remember a man named Deathridge who worked at BSA Tools, Mackadown Lane. Kitts Green circa 1950`s, i just remember his name no other details. Len.

Hello Pamela,

There used to be a greengrocers in Hoggs Lane, Northfield, many years ago.
That is the only information I have, other than it was a long time ago.

Betty.

Hi,
When I worked in Birmingham Fruit & Veg Market two of my customers had the name Deathridge,one was Freddie the other was a little older but have forgotten his name at the moment,Freddies shop was at Northfield ? Possible third brother !!! This is about 50 years ago !

Geoffrey.

Hello Pamela,

On reflection, not sure if the name of the road was Hoggs Lane or Merritts Brook.
It was near the Beeches pub. If it is of any use, there was also a Post Office and
Co-op butchers in the block of shops.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Betty.

Hello Pam,
It was nice to meet you on Saturday I am sorry I couldn't spend more time chatting.
Enjoy the site and if you have any questions please ask.
Jim

I was at school with a 'Deathridge' (Barr Beacon 81-86) he lived on Parm Farm Estate (back of the Cat & Fiddle on Beacon Road)

I used to work with a. Mark Deathridge, at Douglas Plant, Walsall road. Late 1970s to late 1980s. I seem to recall he lived down by Birdbrook road, Great Barr.

Thank you all for your replies,
Len That could have been my Father I know he worked at the BSA, Mackadown Lane rings a bell with me, His name was Harry Deathridge,he moved to a job in Redditch and then to the Rover at Acocks Green.
The Deathridge's were into fruit and veg,my grandfather had a greengrocers shop in Summer Lane.
Postie Sorry wrong Pam I didn't meet you on Saturday
Merry Christmas Pam

My great-grandfather was Richard Deathridge, who moved to Birmingham from London. His family members were baptised at St George's Church, Tower Street, including my grandmother Leah Deathridge and her twin sister Beatrice.

There was a "Deathridge" greengrocers in Wash Lane, Yardley in 1940's A son of the family, Robert went to Church Rd. junior school then KEGS Camp Hill 1951-56.

i could have this wrong but i think i read somewhere on the forum that there used be greengrocers by that name (or something similar) down summer lane way...

lyn

I too knew a youth named Deathridge (Possibly Brian?) who went to KEGS Camp Hill but this was in around 1961 to 66. He lived around the Yardley area. I've some recollection a relative of his was a Bookie and used to work the dog tracks, especially Hall Green.

There was a "Deathridge" greengrocers in Wash Lane, Yardley in 1940's A son of the family, Robert went to Church Rd. junior school then KEGS Camp Hill 1951-56.
That was my grandparents’ greengrocers... Robert’s my Dad. He moved to Australia in 1982. My grandfather, Richard passed away in 1950 and my grandmother Doris passed away a couple years ago in Cornwall.

That was my grandparents’ greengrocers... Robert’s my Dad. He moved to Australia in 1982. My grandfather, Richard passed away in 1950 and my grandmother Doris passed away a couple years ago in Cornwall.
My wife knew your dad at Church Rd. and I knew him at Camp Hill.

Hello all,
Is there anyone else on the Forum with the surname Deathridge (born in Birmingham) in their family tree.
Pamela
I am trying to trace a childhood friend called Anne Deathridge, Who lived in Corrie Croft, Sheldon. Her parents ran two greengrocers shops in Garrets Green Lane. One at the top and the other on the corner of Cockshut Hill. Can anyone help? We were both born in 1938.

AS this person may still be living, could members with information contact Delphine by Private message (envelope sign at top right hand corner of page)

My nan's maiden name was Deathridge. Else. Born around 1916. Married Bernard Bull. He had a butcher's shop on Stockfield Road Yardley until he retired approx 1976. My nan (Else nee Deathridge) was a jahovas witness and worked at Cadburys. Nan spoke about the fruit. Veg and flower markets of Brum.

Back