• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Death registered twice?

jane k

master brummie
My husband`s grandmother Doris Rose Hunt was married to Herbert John Lynes but separated from him in the 1940s and went on to have a relationship with Stanley Pemberton - and had a child with him. We believe that she never actually married Pemberton - although she took his name - because Lynes would not give her a divorce.
When she died in January 1978 I have found her death recorded twice - once as Doris Rose Lynes and once as Doris Rose Lynes. They both have the same reference - Rugby 31 0265. How can this be?

Births and deaths were often registered this way and sometimes still are.
The same number denotes they are the same person, she had assumed the name Pemberton but was legally Lynes.
The probate for her estate names her as Doris Rose Pemberton or Lynes died 15th January 1978.
Belvedere Oxford road, Ryton on dunsmore.

Last edited:
When you register a death you are asked if the deceased was known by any other name. I have a death certificate issued in similar circumstances to yours and 3 names are listed - maiden name, married name and a "known as" name.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what date is put on a death certificate when the exact date of death is not known. For instance, if someone goes missing & the body is not found for considerable time. Would they use the date they were last seen?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what date is put on a death certificate when the exact date of death is not known. For instance, if someone goes missing & the body is not found for considerable time. Would they use the date they were last seen?

thats a very good question judi...hopefully someone will know

lyn

Back