• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Death notification

craiguito

master brummie
Hello, I'd be very grateful for any information for some research I'm doing.
On average, if a soldier was killed, in my ancestor's case of Spanish flu, in Africa, does anyone know roughly how long it would take for the relatives back in the UK to be informed?
Many thanks in advance,

Craig

It might depend which war your ancestor was involved in. My Grandfather was injured in WW1 (fortunately not killed) and the letter to his next of kin is dated 10 days after his injury - he was in France and the letter came from the RE depot in Chatham. I am not sure if death notices were quicker as I imagine they would be a telegram not a letter. It might also take a it longer from Africa but on the other hand WW2 might have speeded up their methods.
Janice

Back