• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death in an Unidentified Birmingham Workhouse

TC3

proper brummie kid
Hello,

I understand a Patrick TARPEY (TARPY?), aged 20, a Glass Cutter, was born in Roscommon, Ireland, and died in an unidentified Birmingham Workhouse in September 1859........he was buried in the Parish of Nechells, St. Joseph Church, on 20/09/1859. This information courtesy of Birmingham Archdiocesan Archives via FindMyPast.

Would someone kindly be able to help with any details of his death if at all possible.

Thank You,

TC3

Hi TC3,

Welcome to the Forum. Patrick TARPY's death was registered in Birmingham Reg Dist in Sept Qtr 1859, Volume 6d Page 135 and that should give his cause of death, but you will have to pay for the certificate, obtainable either from the Registrar in Birmingham or online from here:-
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate quoting the above reference.

There don't appear to be any newspaper reports of Patrick's death, so it was probably natural.

Maurice

Hi TC3,

Welcome to the Forum. Patrick TARPY's death was registered in Birmingham Reg Dist in Sept Qtr 1859, Volume 6d Page 135 and that should give his cause of death, but you will have to pay for the certificate, obtainable either from the Registrar in Birmingham or online from here:-
https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate quoting the above reference.

There don't appear to be any newspaper reports of Patrick's death, so it was probably natural.

Maurice

Thank You Maurice,

I have the GRO confirmation for TARPY and the FMP entry under TARPEY but am reluctant to entertain buying a copy Death Certificate until I have managed to review the Workhouse record of his death, if, of course, it can be found. It is this Workhouse aspect that has defeated my personal research!!!

For the moment

TC3

hello TC3 if you do not already know this st josephs church is still there...i believe it is a roman catholic church but need to check that....the birmingham library may hold records to the workhouse patrick died in but the trouble here is that you do not know which workhouse that was therefore you cant ask the library until you know which one...sometimes the only way to move forward is to obtain certain certs and patricks death cert will at least tell you where he died....good luck with your search

lyn

hello TC3 if you do not already know this st josephs church is still there...i believe it is a roman catholic church but need to check that....the birmingham library may hold records to the workhouse patrick died in but the trouble here is that you do not know which workhouse that was therefore you cant ask the library until you know which one...sometimes the only way to move forward is to obtain certain certs and patricks death cert will at least tell you where he died....good luck with your search

lyn

Hello Lyn,

Birmingham Library Archives have confirmed that records for the Workhouse/Infirmary were destroyed!!! C'est la vie

TC3

TC3,

I'll add a little to Lyn's message and say that most of the workhouse records prior to 1880 appear not to have survived, so the death certificate may contain as much information as you are likely to get. Had he died as a result of an accident or a crime, then it is likely that a report of such an incident would appear in the newspapers of the time.

Maurice

Has an enquiry been made to St. Chads Cathedral archive? I understand, from other threads, that Catholic records are kept there. A look at St. Chads web site would advise how and when to enquire. As the gentleman in question was Irish it might follow that he received a requiem Mass.

Good Morning,

I thought my latest findings may interest you, courtesy of Patrick TARPY's Death Certificate.

He died of a Strumous Disease of the Vertibrae at the Dudley Road Workhouse on 16/09/1859........the informant was a Fanny GILES, presumably an employee of the Workhouse.
There are no relatives mentioned and his occupation is described as Glass Cutter, a fact that almost certainly confirms his identity as the person I am researching.

Thank you for all your help.

TC3

Back