• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death certificate.

I have received the copy of James and Annie's wedding certificate this morning.
It reads, James Pressdee Drinkwater Age 25 Condition Bachelor
Annie Williams. 23 " " Blank
Fathers name Harry Drinkwater,there is another word underneath I cant make out, occupation wagoner.
Annie's fathers name is John Williams occupation labourer. The word I cant make out looks like it begins with C.

I think the family you are looking for on 1911 census is the one that's already mentioned living in Cotheridge.

However I don't think it is the James Drinkwater listed b1894 in Suckley. That James is the son of Harry from his first marriage to Eliza Baggott.

I suspect it is actually the step son listed as Tomas Drinkwater, who is the illegitimate son of his second wife, Ann Pressdee who for some reason is listed as Clara. She did have a sister of that name who died young.

He was registered as James as well, which could explain his altered name. On his probable second (mentioned above) he is listed as James Pressdee and James T Pressdee Drinkwater.

I have received the copy of James and Annie's wedding certificate this morning.
It reads, James Pressdee Drinkwater Age 25 Condition Bachelor
Annie Williams. 23 " " Blank
Fathers name Harry Drinkwater,there is another word underneath I cant make out, occupation wagoner.
Annie's fathers name is John Williams occupation labourer. The word I cant make out looks like it begins with C.
On 1911 census Harry Drinkwater describes himself as a "carter" - could this be the missing word?

Thanks for replies, I have had problems with the inter net on and of all day,its taken since midday to post the last two posts.should settle down later.

hi mws the james on the 1911 fathers name harry is born 1894 but the james on the 1915 marr cert fathers name harry is born 1900 this is what was confusing me...so am i right in saying that the james who married annie in 1915 is not the james on th 1911..if so where is james b 1890 on the 1901

Last edited:
I assume you mean 1890 not 1900.

The James b1894 is James Drinkwater, son of Harry and Eliza Baggot. He didn't marry Annie, no reason for him to have Pressdee in his name.

I think the James who marries Annie is James Pressdee, stepson of Harry. Hence James Pressdee Drinkwater.

On 1911 census he appears to be listed as Tomas, probably to differentiate him from his step brother.

As mentioned, on his probable second marriage there is a T, a possible reference to this.

Last edited:
In 1891, he's with his mother and grandmother in Martley listed as Presdel.

In 1901 he's possibly in London, though the birthplace is wrong.

If James T Pressdee Drinkwater marries a second time and Annie marries a second time then either we have divorce or bigamy.
The original question was about a death cert for James.
I also ask again what does it say on Annie's second marriage as to her status?

I would guess divorce due to the multiple names of Annie on the marriage registration second time.

Mentioned previously that there's a death registered for a James Pressdee that matches birth & 1939 Register, in Martley 1975.

I think MWS post 66 is the correct James.On the certificate where its says fathers name the word below Harry Drinkwater beginning with C is adopted in brackets.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thanks for the help in sorting out Annie and James. Anybody up for another challenge,
On the 1901 census Annies mother Amelia Williams is living with James Rowles and using his surname along with Annie also listed is a son James between James snr and Amelia, they are living Walsall
On the 1911 census they have moved to Birmingham Annie is not on this census but there's a few additions to the family.
James junior, William, Amelia and Agnus. I know that Annie is in Cotheridge from the 1915 marriage to James Drinkwater and I also know that her mother and "step father"are also in Cotheridge at that time as she gives birth to a son Bertie in December that year. The next time I find them is back in Birmingham 1929 James on the electoral roll and Annies marriage to John Nolan.

So if any one can find any mention of them between the dates 1911 and 1915 and 1915 to 1929 I would be very great full.

Back