• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death certificate.

Have you seen the marriage cert for James and Annie? If she was a widow (Williams being a married name) then any Drinkwater births should show her maiden name.

This may or may not be relevant but:
1611187939877.png
This is a Silver War Badge given to soldiers to injured to fight. However, no other info is given so it may just be a red herring.

dont have world wide subs on ancestry to view all the info but found this says buried in france and a middle name beginning with P..could be nothing of course

Canada, War Graves Registers (Circumstances of Casualty), 1914-1948
CASUALTIES
View Image
Record information.
Name
James Peter Drinkwater
Death
dd mm 1917
Residence
year Canada

Last edited:
Lyn,

I mentioned that in Post #14 - James Peter - but unless he emigrated it seems most unlikely due to a year residence in Canada. I'll search the passenger records later, but up to my eyes in other stuff at the moment.

Maurice :cool:

Hi Janice Annie's maiden name was williams , I posted a request here a few years ago trying to trace her.she is the daughter of John and Amelia Williams l found the wedding entry for James Drinkwater / A williams 1915 worcester at that time they were both living in Cothridge 3 miles from Worcester.
The piece about the Silver star could be relevant, he may have died from his wounds.,

OK just trying to establish if there were any extra complications. The problem is - if he died of war wounds it could have been anywhere in the country. If he got the silver badge, my understanding is, he did not die abroad. It was given so people in this country would know they had already fought. That said they used hospitals all over the place and he might not have come back to his home.

Janice, if you look on the 1901 census for Annie she is living with her mother Amelia, they are both using the surname Rowles, but thats another story.

Just to finally exclude the James Drinkwater mentioned by Lyn in post #24, all the James Drinkwaters travelling to North America from 1890 onwards travelled AFTER the date of this guy's death. In fact the only James Drinkwater travelling before that date was going to Freemantle, Australia in 1900. So I think that we can be certain that the CWGC death in 1917 is not in the picture.

rob i wish this was your james peter drinkwater but it seems not but begs the question why cant we find a death ref for him in this country

james drinkwater 1.jpgjames drinkwater 2.jpg

Hi lyn thanks for that.it really is a mystery. Its almost as big as how Annie found her to cotheridge. Ive sent for his wedding cert to see if throws any names up.

Hi lyn thanks for that.it really is a mystery. Its almost as big as how Annie found her to cotheridge. Ive sent for his wedding cert to see if throws any names up.

great rob it could prove useful...i think i need to go back to the beginning of this thread to digest the info and start again as i am a tad confused..just couple of questions..do you know for certain..

the name of james parents? and
the exact year james was born and where?

lyn

Lyn I'm fairly sure its the one on 1901 census, as the name Baggot is there, and kens post showing the birth of James mmn Baggot.

But odd that that one is not on the 1939 Register either, or at least in Worcestershire, and probably too old for the services.

rob my post 9 which shows the 1901 census for the family you are following...i cant find them on the 1911 as yet but there is another drinkwater family with a son james right age but the dads age is out and the wifes name is clara not eliza as on the 1901 also eliza is 20 years younger than hubby henry on the 1901 but clara is only 10 years younger on the 1911...

lyn

Last edited:
The Harry & Clara seems to be the right one, Lyn, but either she is jiggling her forename or else Henry married again.

The Harry & Clara seems to be the right one, Lyn, but either she is jiggling her forename or else Henry married again.

i agree maurice..if you look at the 1911 one child is down as step child and they say they have been married for 19 years
also when i click on suggested records a death comes up for a james drinkwater b 1893 died 1973 in worcs which i think is the death i posted earlier...also there is no mention of a middle name beginning with P on either census years which of course does not really mean anything we do see that a lot...i think it maybe best to wait and see what the marr cert says..rob said he is ordering it

lyn

Last edited:
If Annie married again in 1929 I wonder how she described herself. Widow or was it a divorce? If widow then it narrows the timeframe for James death.

I've just been through all the Drinkwaters in Worcestershire on the 1911 Census and none of them really fit. But to be missing off a census is nothing new and being most probably a farm labourer, they don't always get added by the farm owner. Nor can I find James in the military records on FMP or the passenger lists. I agree, let's see if the marriage cert tells us anything.

If Annie married again in 1929 I wonder how she described herself. Widow or was it a divorce? If widow then it narrows the timeframe for James death.

also jan it has to be considered that maybe annie neither divorced james or was a widow ...rob said she married again in birmingham 1929..assuming we are following the correct person the second marriage cert should help...

rob could you just confirm its annies 1929 marr cert that you have applied for ?

lyn

Last edited:
Back