• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death Certificate Details Required.

hi rowan so ann and george married a couple of years after their daughter emma was born

lyn

It looks that way doesn't it. Perhaps another reason why the family did not talk of the marriage!! Just had a quick look and Emma was baptised in 1838.

Janice

Attachments

• Emma Colledge.JPG
    Emma Colledge.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 8
Thanks - hadn't looked yet so you have saved me a task.
Here are the 2 criminal records I found - both have George born abt 1815 - so both are possible! Records very faint. One has imprisonment for 3 months and the other is 1 year I think.
Janice

Attachments

• Colledge 1835.JPG
    Colledge 1835.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Colledge 1862.JPG
    Colledge 1862.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 13
Yet another spanner in the works!!
Baptised 22nd July 1811 SUSANNAH daughter of Charles Lea and Ann Marklew at Birmingham St. Martins.
Susannah MARKLEW married GEORGE SANDON 9th June1830 witness ANN MERKLEW at St Philip Birmingham.
Susannah SANDON died April 10 age 48 1859.

Good evening ladies, tonight I have ordered from the GRO the marriage certificate for Ann Marklew and her death certificate in 1863. Australia Post is notoriously slow these days, we live about 55 kms outside Sydney and I sometimes wonder if our postman only delivers those little brown GRO certificate envelopes as slowly as possible just to annoy me. I will confirm what the certificates say when they arrive, if you would like a copy of the certificates since you worked so diligently on the issue I can send you all copies if you wish. I will order more certificates probably tomorrow to cover all of the other individuals that you have identified.

ps. Lynn, my Bradnocks start with Joseph Bradnock (1863) and Sarah Atkins (1857) who were married in 1882 - any connection ?

hi snowball i will also look forward to the details on the certs you have ordered....
re my bradnocks....i will have to go into my files to try and find out if there is any conncection will also have to go back further than i have in my research of them...so far i only know that my grandmother kates maiden name was bradnock she married albert henry downes 1900 birm..will get back to you a via private message as soon as i can if i find any connection

lyn

Last edited:
Only just read through this thread and notice on the criminal record posted by Janice for George Colledge the entry underneath is for a Charles Marklew, who was also imprisoned for 1 year for burglary ? coincidence or the ? same burglary.

I have also found the marriage between George and Ann at St Martins

Attachments

• ann marklew m george colledge.jpg
    ann marklew m george colledge.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Ooh - interesting. I didn't notice that. I can't remember if I saw a Charles in the Marklew clan.
Janice

Several Charles in the family. Ann's Father, her brother and. I think, her nephew (born 1838).
Janice

I thought I had come across the name Marklew before and when I checked my tree I found a William Marklew 1832-1857. Following his death his widow, Ann, nee Caswell, married William Henry Jewsbury 1830-1898 and they had a son, John Edward Jewsbury 1866-1920, who married my 2x great aunt Selina Emma Murcott.

William Marklew’s father was John b 1808. He was the brother of your Charles Lea Marklew 1791-1873 and amongst other siblings they had a sister, Hannah Marklew 1797-1860.

Unfortunately, Hannah was the mother of Edward Oxford who made an assassination attempt on our very special Queen Victoria! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Oxford

Wow - what a coincidence! Does that mean that somewhere in the dim past you are connected to Snowball who started off this chase for Ann Marklew?
Janice

Not directly Snowball's tree and mine have Ann Caswell as a connection, but as Ann was married to William Marklew who died, my connection came in when she then married William Henry Jewsbury and their son John Edward married into my Murcott family.

Complicated, but that's why I love genealogy!!! This needs more investigating!

Thanks Snowball for starting this thread.

Fortunately I've found the baptism for Ann Marklew on my St Martins CD - here it is

Attachments

• ann marklew baptism 6 January 1818.jpg
    ann marklew baptism 6 January 1818.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 10
Good evening bewdley, your right on the money young lady. Edward Marklew married Susanah Lea and they had 15 children. 6th child was Charles Lea (1791-1873) followed in due course by the 11th child Hannah (1797-1860) and the 14th child John Marklew (1804 abt - 1876 abt). My tree springs from Charles Lea while your comes from his brother John.
Also can confirm John's son William Marklew (1832-1857) is referenced in my tree.
Also Hannah Marklew married George Oxford and it was their son Edward (b 1818) who had the misfortune to attempt to assassinate Queen Victoria - I'm sure it was a simple misunderstanding ! Your compatriots on the site have already revealed some of my ancestors were guilty of both larceny and burglary and now you are adding attempted murder to the list - is this some sort of anti Marklew vendetta you ladies are carrying out ?

I doubt it! I think it adds a bit of fun to find "skeletons in the closet". It also shows how families and circumstances may have changed over time.
Janice

Oh Snowball, I hope you don’t think my/our interest is some sort of vendetta, after all none of us are responsible for what went before and personally I find this all very interesting. It helps build up a picture of our forefather’s lives as it happened.

What comes over to me is the horror and suffering Hannah (and her Marklew family) went through at the hands of George Oxford both before and especially during her marriage to Edward’s father and goes someway in helping to understand the problems Edward had to deal with.

Edward was tried for High Treason on 6 July 1840 and was acquitted “Insane”.

Here is a link to the trial itself

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?name=18400706

If you scroll down to Reference Number: t18400706-1877 it gives a detailed account of the trial, it’s rather long winded, but so very, very interesting!

bewdley

Back