• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death Certificate Details Required.

Rowan - thanks but the problem is that Snowball says, and I agree, that the Ann who died aged 79 is too old to be the right Ann unless there is an error somewhere.
Janice

according to rowan there was a hannah bapt 1822..so i would think she is young anns sister

Ann wife of Charles was baptised 14th Sept.1830, yes 1830 one day after their daughter Sarah Alice (b. April 1830) , baptised 13th Sept. 1830 was baptised at St. Martin Birmingham.
It states "Ann James parents David Ann now the wife of Charles Marklew" and they are living at Buck Street

Ann was born 30th Nov. 1793. They must have decided that Ann should be baptised, maybe a change of faith??
When Sarah gets married to Charles Blackman in 1856, her Mother? Ann is a witness with her mark as ANN COLLEDGE the plot gets thicker!!!

In the St. Martin Birmingham Baptisms of 1830 Sarah Alice Marklew is baptised Sept. 13th and the next day (14th) her Mother Ann is baptised but under the name of Ann JAMES.
There is a note under the baptism saying "Now the wife of Charles Marklew". Ann's parents are stated as David & Ann (James). I wonder why they felt the need for her to be baptised at that moment???

When Fanny marries Charles Blakeman in 1856 one of the witnesses is ANN COLLEDGE??

I think the Ann Colledge who witnesses Fanny's marriage is her sister the Ann whose marriage I put in #10. I missed that mark on Fanny's wedding. Brilliant as that links Ann Colledge to the Marklew's. The witness on Sarah's marriage to William Turner is Sophia Baggott who married David Marklew in 1850.
Janice

Last edited:
according to rowan there was a hannah bapt 1822..so i would think she is young anns sister
I agree that Hannah is a sister as on 1841 census but the only one I found baptised in 1822 was at Warwick and I don't think was the right one. Perhaps Rowan can tell us where the one she found was baptised.
Janice

I think that is the same Hannah that I found Janice ................ so it is probably the wrong one sadly.
There is a baptism for ANN birth 12 Dec. 1817 baptised 6 Jan.1818 at St Martin Birmingham but there is no image of it. States CHARLES LEA MARKLEW and ANN as the parents. FHL Film Number: 501834, 501835, 501836, 502177, 502178

Maybe I best leave it for now as I may be muddling the pudding a little too much :((

rowan dont jump ship just yet...the more the merrier....the bapt you have found is correct...see snowballs post 1

lyn

Rowan - it is thanks to you that we can connect Ann Colledge with the Marklew as you spotted the name Ann Colledge as a witness. As Lyn said the Ann baptism is right. It is just a complex story.
Janice

You girls are incredible - I am very humbled to think that you would go to so much trouble to provide assistance to someone 12,000 miles away and we have never met. If I could take you out for lunch to show my appreciation I would do it in a blink. Back to Ann Marklew. Most of what you have uncovered is accurate according to my own records and family folk lore, Ann was born in 1817 and her parents were Charles Lea Marklew 1791-1873 and Ann James 1793-1861. Charles came from Birmingham while Ann came from Bath, Somerset. They married in 1810 in Yardley which is listed as being in Worcestershire at that stage. They had ten children in total, the fourth born was Ann in 1817, she had a sister Hannah in 1822 and a brother David James Marklew in 1824, Sarah Alice in 1830 and lastly Fanny Elizabeth in 1834. I could name the others but they are outside of this enquiry. I have tracked Charles and his wife Ann throughout the censuses of 1841, 1851, 1861 and for Charles only 1871 since his wife had passed away by the census date. The daughter Ann does not appear on any of the census reports - by 1841 she would have been 24 years old. I have not been able to find any evidence of a marriage but did locate what I believe to be her death in 1876, buried in Whitton Cemetery. My belief that Ann, the daughter, never married was told to me by my own Grandmother Julia Marklew nee Bradnock when I first grew interested in genealogy. Julia was an incredible source of knowledge and I will remain indebted to her for the rest of my life, but, she has been found to be wrong on very few occasions but this just might be another one. Can you supply details of the marriage between Ann and whoever in 1840/41 please. I an very appreciative of the efforts you have made and wish there was some way to repay you for your kindness and generosity.

Snowball.

hello snowball we are all only to happy to help you....but anytime you are in brum lunch sounds good:) can i suggest that you read over all the information we have found and digest it and then decide if ann did indeed get married...all our evidence seems to point that she did but it is your family and you will want to be certain...i see that you have asked for details of the marriage between ann marklew and george colledge in 1840 which explains why you could not find ann on the 1841 under the name of marklew..you may have missed it but if you go to post 10 janice has posted a copy of the marriage certificate..if you click on it it will enlarge so that you can the save it to your pc..if you look at the names of the witnesses we beleive one of them is anns sister hannah marklew...sad to note that on the 1881 census george colledge was in the workhouse which does indicate that by then wife ann had passed away

by the way snowball my gt grandmother was a bradnock but that could be another story :D

lyn

Last edited:
Snowball - only too pleased to help. Sometimes you need a fresh pair of eyes and someone who doesn't know the family stories. In case you want Fanny's certificate with Ann as witness (spotted by Rowan) then I am attaching it here as well. If you want any other certs and I can access them then let me know. We still don't know who the Ann Marklew buried in 1876 is but she now appears irrelevant. I think your Ann died in 1863.
Janice

Attachments

• Fanny marriage.JPG
    Fanny marriage.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
morning janice...have you found a death in 1863 for ann colledge then....i have not looked yet

lyn

Morning Lyn.
Yes - there is one Oct - Dec 1863 volume 6d page 6. I also found possible criminal records for a George Colledge (one before the marriage and one after - larceny and burglary - but no proof it is the correct one) wonder if the family did not approve of him?
Going out now so back later on to see what cases we can crack today - ha ha!
Janice

oops janice a possible skeleton in the cupboard then...that death sounds right..i have to go out now for a few hours..back later...

I have found Ann's marriage to GEORGE COLLEDGE. Ann's Surname is transcribed as MARKLESO.
They married 14th Sept. 1840 at St. Martin Birmingham. Witnesses are Thomas Wolfe & HANNAH MARKLEW so our Hannah does exist.
Ann is listed as a servant and George is a Brick maker (His Father's name is Thomas Colledge & Mother Ann)
George was baptised at Brinklow Warwickshire 15th Aug. 1813.

It all helps to build up a picture and link bits together. Are you able to post his baptism? Or is it just a record with no image - they drive me mad!
Janice

Last edited:
In 1841 Ann & George were living in Garrison Lane with their daughter Emma who is age 3 & the name is transcribed as COLLIDYE
George died 1884 age 69 Birmingham Vol. 6d Page 116 Q1.

hi Janice I am sorry I am unable to post the image as I don't know how to do it .............. sorry :(

No worries. I just thought it might be good to see it. Did you use Ancestry? If so I might be able to find it.
Janice

Back