• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Death Certificate Details Required.

Thank you bewdley for posting the website for The Old Bailey. I searched it and found Horace Herbert age 12 years as a witness to a crime. He was my husbands uncle.
We are very grateful, as we are to all who post on this fantastic site :))

oh bewdley i agree with you...i have searching for years to try to find a naughty ancestor..but so far only found a couple of small misdemeanours...i have always said that when we delve into our past we must expect the unexpected and take the rough with the smooth..trouble is all mine (and i have gone back to the 1700s) have been too smooth:D

lyn

Likewise Lyn - nothing much in my tree so far either.
Janice

i am still hopeful janice...come winter i shall start to research branch offs of my family...but so far i have a rellie aged 14 who ran at a neighbour with a knife in 1868..my grandad again 14 left home in hospital st went to work in a hotel in coventry and stole a customers purse and then we have my bigamist who married in ladywood in 1862 had two very young sons then went off to yorkshire married again and had another 4 children and i have both marriage certs to prove it:rolleyes:

Mine is quite tame. A suicide! (Good job my Dad had an inkling or the death cert would have been a shock). A possible bigamist - an Uncle of my Dad who went to Canada and got married but then I found his marriage here in Birmingham - def right as address matches 1901 census address and marriage in 1902. His Birmingham wife and son appear on electoral rolls. I still need to try to find out what happened when I have a minute from challenges on here.
Janice

well thats enough for starters janice...if you need any help with your bigamist start another thread and we can get cracking:D

Haven't found a really naughty ancestor but my 5 x great grandfather was 69 when he married for the second time (10 months after his first wife's death) and his wife was 29. My 4 x ggf, his son, was born 5 years before the wedding and the happy couple went on to have a daughter shortly after the marriage.

He must have been a bit of a devil as he had been cut out of his father's will and went to chancery to challenge it.

thats a bit juicy pen....:) and i bet all those years ago they never imagined that many years later we would be able to find out all about them

lyn

I have now checked with my Dad re: the "one who went to Canada" so will post on new thread (Burridge) but am no longer so sure about Canada marriage. Still something odd going on.
Janice

Just to resurrect an old thread. I have found this one fascinating and I confess it has made me chuckle to read of some of the misdemeanours. I'm not sure if that reflects badly on me - I am a Marklew! I suspect there was much hardship and no social support that drove people to crime.

I know very little about my family tree although I remember my father talking about sword makers and shoe makers. I must dig out what little I have and try and follow it up. I tried to research it many years ago, before the internet.

This has been fascinating, thank you all for your Marklew contributions - I am discovering that I am related to Edward and Susannah, Ann and Edward & co, so thanks for sharing all of your stories, I love the assassination connection!

I think I need to read through this thread again and pay more attention. I have now discovered that my great (3x I think!) Grandad (John Marklew) was the uncle of Edward Oxford who attempted to shoot Queen Victoria. So there may be a few tentative connections with people on here!

Snap, that's the John Marklew I'm related to! He and Mary had a daughter Emma, who is my Great, great, great grandmother!
It is amazing how much there is on this site. I will try and send you a private message. If I ever get round to looking into my family tree properly it would be lovely to have the connection. The world seems smaller :)

Yet another spanner in the works!!
Baptised 22nd July 1811 SUSANNAH daughter of Charles Lea and Ann Marklew at Birmingham St. Martins.
Susannah MARKLEW married GEORGE SANDON 9th June1830 witness ANN MERKLEW at St Philip Birmingham.
Susannah SANDON died April 10 age 48 1859.
I've just come across this forum whilst researching my family tree - Susannah Marklew and George Sandon were my 3rd x great-grandparents and Charles my 4th gt-grandfather making me connected to Royalty!! Did make me smile anyway despite how serious it was.

Good evening bewdley, your right on the money young lady. Edward Marklew married Susanah Lea and they had 15 children. 6th child was Charles Lea (1791-1873) followed in due course by the 11th child Hannah (1797-1860) and the 14th child John Marklew (1804 abt - 1876 abt). My tree springs from Charles Lea while your comes from his brother John.
Also can confirm John's son William Marklew (1832-1857) is referenced in my tree.
Also Hannah Marklew married George Oxford and it was their son Edward (b 1818) who had the misfortune to attempt to assassinate Queen Victoria - I'm sure it was a simple misunderstanding ! Your compatriots on the site have already revealed some of my ancestors were guilty of both larceny and burglary and now you are adding attempted murder to the list - is this some sort of anti Marklew vendetta you ladies are carrying out ?
Charles Lea is my 4th great-grandfather so we must be loosely related somewhere along the line?

Back