• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Death Certificate Details Required.

Snowball

master brummie
One of my great aunts was Ann Marklew, born in 1817 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. She was baptised in 1818 in St. Martins Church. I'm reasonably sure that she died in 1876 and was buried in Witton Cemetery. In order to send for a copy of her death certificate I need to convert this burial information into a Volume and Page number for the GRO, does anyone know how I can do this ? There is another Ann Marklew on the records born in about 1797 and this is definitely not my great aunt. Any help would be most appreciated.

hi snowball cant you find her death registration on ancestry etc...that would give you the ref no for death cert...just had a quick look and i can only find the ann marklew who was born in 1897...also i cant find the baptism for ann marklew born 1817...mind you i am rushing as i am busy this morning..i take it she was born a marklew and died one so never married??

lyn

Last edited:
You can still order a certificate from GRO without the ref number but it takes longer to arrive. Found the burial record and it confirms an Ann Marklew was buried at Witton in 1876 (grave 15/15077). Christening record on Ancestry with parents Charles and Lea Ann. (Lyn - could only find it on Christening records not the Birmingham one). Can't find a death at the moment.

Janice

Unless you are confident it is your Great Aunt I think it might be best if you contact Witton and ask if they can confirm the age of the Ann Marklew buried in 1876. It may be that this is the one born in 1797 - in which case we may be chasing the wrong info.
I found a marriage for Ann daughter of Charles in 1840 at St Martins (same occupation of Steel Toy Maker).
Janice

Last edited:
Thank you to both Lyn and Janice for your responses and efforts. I can add that my great aunt was the fourth child born to Charles and Lea Ann and from the dates of their marriage and other children born into the family the Ann Marklew born in 1797 is not the same Ann Marklew that I am looking for. Confirm also that to the best of our knowledge, family folk lore says she never married and so remained a Marklew and a spinster all of her life. Have checked both Ancestry.com and Findmypast for any records of her death but have been unsuccessful. I didn't know that it was possible to order a GRO certificate without the volume and page reference numbers. Once again, thank you for your efforts.

Snowball

If you order from GRO without numbers I am not sure how you can be sure it is the right records but it does say on GRO site that it can be done.
Good luck. Let us know how you get on. Just done some more digging and are the parents names Charles Lea and Ann rather than Charles and Lea Ann? Is the Ann born in 1797 the Mother of your Ann?
Janice

Last edited:
Not the younger one - no. That is why I wondered about the marriage but Snowball is sure she never married. 1841 I think has Charles and Ann as Marklin. Then I can only find Ann as born in Bath but the husband and children seem to match.
Janice

janice i am trying to find snowballs gt aunt ann marklew b 1817 birm...if as snowball says she never married she should be on the .51.61 and 71 but i cant find her on either..here we go again:rolleyes:

Ignore the bit about Bath as have now found Charles and Ann with youngest daughter Fanny on 1851 in Garrison Lane. Neither can I find the one born 1817 which is why I thought she had married.

Janice

Attachments

• Ann Marklew wedding.JPG
    Ann Marklew wedding.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Ann Marklew bapt.JPG
    Ann Marklew bapt.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 17
i thought the same janice...so gt aunt ann marklew did marry then..in 1840...so she cant be buried in witton

lyn

Well, although I don't like to contradict Snowball who should know the family story, it looks a strong possibility. Must go and get on with other things for a while before curiosity gets the better of me again!!
Janice

i agree janice snowball should know the family history but dont forget she did say it was only family folk lore that ann never married

lyn

Fairly certain that the Charles and Ann on 1841 are right as found a marriage of Charles Lea Marklew to Ann James (Sept 1810 at Yardley - birth date of 1797 a bit out but it is 1793 on the census). 1841 census has Ann James possibly her Mother. 1861 has Ann born in Bath but Sarah Turner (also on census) is, I think the Sarah Marklew who married a William Turner, and also the Elizabeth Bleakman is probably the daughter of Fanny who married a Charles Blakeman. This means all that ties in. The only concern I have is that I can't find this Ann on 1871 census which is a concern if we think she is the one who died in 1876.
Janice

I still think it is worth contacting Witton for confirmation. As there could be an error in dob or age on the record.
Janice

yes janice worth checking with witton although if that marriage you found is right i cant see why ann would be buried under her maiden name...the plot thickens

I agree but I would still check. It looks like a common grave as a search for that grave number threw several unconnected surnames. Also I think I found Charles in 1871 on his own listed as a lodger but next door to David (his son?)! Which further complicates things. In which case perhaps the Mother did die earlier which then leaves the question "is the Ann who died in 1876 related or a coincidence". (I think my head hurts now)!!
Janice

On Freebmd there is an ANN MARKLEW died 1876 age 79 years vol. 6d Page 33 could this be the Ann you are looking for? In 1871 Charles is still living at 24 Garrison Lane age 79 yrs. he is down as a Widower ; Agent ; and as a lodger.
I have found Charles & Ann with a HANNAH (baptised 1822) age 19yrs & 5 other children + Ann James age 77yrs. Could this be ANN? They are mislisted as MARKLIN

janice can you make out the surname of who ann married on the cert....think one of the witnesses was a hannah marklew...poss a sister ?? sorry rowan i missed your post...

The name is George Colledge and I can trace them on the censuses 41, 51 and 61 - that Ann disappears after 1861 and George seems to end as a pauper in the workhouse 1881. I did wonder if Hannah was the sister.
Janice

Back