• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

death at Solihull Hospital

renatakins

proper brummie kid
Greetings from Northern Canada:

My 2 uncles were born in Birmingham (one in Aston) between 1902 & 1905. Their father died of TB in 1906 in Solihull Hospital, Solihull. We are not sure if his name was David William Horton or Orton. The widow (my Gramma ) came to Canada with my gramma in 1910 & may have changed the boys names. What a loss for the parents & grandparents to lose a son & 2 grandsons...a whole family line. The cousins would greatly appreciate any help leading to finding who their father was, grandparents were, uncles, aunts & cousins overseas. Does anyone know if there's records from early 1900s at that hospital? Usually with TB it's a long term stay. I figure 1904-1906 are the target years.
Thanks from our Woodward clan in Canada, Darlene

Hello

There is a marriage on the IGI for a David William ORTON to Alice Hannah Robinson 20 Apr 1902 All Saints Bham.
Groom's father Edwin Orton
bride's father Griffith Thomas Robinson
Groom born1876 aged 26
Bride aged 21

Does Alice fit the bill?

regards
Suzanne

and a birth for a Leslie Ernest Orton 12 Feb 1903 christened 5 Apr 1903 at All Saints, Hockley, Bham
father David William Orton
mother Alice Hannah

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne:

Awesome search ! This is him & one of his sons for sure !!!! Thanks a million !!! The information you found helps alot, especially his correct name & his father's name. At least now we have a chance to go from there. What is IGI so I can get this verification? Much appreciation for your help :biggrin:
Thank you, Darlene

Hi Darlene

Glad to help:)
The IGI is the International Geneaological Index. You can search records freely at www.familyrecords.org

Also, if you need to order any certificates from the above information, the following are the references you will need which are:-
Marriage - David William Orton and Alice Hannah Robinson in 1902 Birmingham Volume 6d page 9 Apr-May-Jun Quarter

Birth - Leslie Ernest HORTON (Seems to be confusion when various records are recorded as to Horton/Orton as you said)
1903 Birmingham Volume 6d page 204 Jan-Feb-Mar Quarter.
If you let me have the second son's name I can look up his birth details also.

Hope this helps

Suzanne

EDIT: Is this the second son? Dennis William Horton Born 1905 Bham ref JAS 6d 163 also there is another member on the forum from Canada researching Woodward/Robinson/Orton/Horton named Eyesofblue54.

Last edited:
Hello Suzanne
Darlene and I are working together. Her brother is my ex husband and my interests are for my children.
Dennis William Horton is the second son. The kids used the Woodward Surname, after Grandma and Grandpa got together.
Does anyone know how adoptions of step children worked about 1906? We are also having problems locating a marriage for William and Alice. Both had been previously married, and we know that David Orton died but we are not sure what happened to Sarah J. Any ideas here? Kathleen

Also she is recorded as married for 20 years which would match her marriage to William Woodward that you have for 1891.

Seems William and Alice Hannah could have just regarded themselves as married?

Suzanne

We are starting to believe that William and Alice were possibly not legally married as divorce was almost unheard of at that time and we have not located a death of Sarah. As far as the two boys go (Alice's first two sons) was it normal around 1907 to just take on the step father's surname without a legal adoption? Kathleen

No idea about the adoption but I'm sure many children took on the names of step father's.

Also, do you know if there were any more children born to Sarah Jane & William?

I do not believe there were any children by William and Sarah. In the 1901 census, there is no children listed. They lived in a pub that he managed in Aston.
They were married in 1891. so they had been married for 10 years by this time. David Orton died in 1906 and William and Alice's first son together was born 1908 and the next one in 1909. William immigrated to Canada May of 1910 and Alice and the four boys followed behind in Sept. 1910. Alice and the boys are all listed as Woodward in the ships list.
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen & Darlene,

I was just wondering if there could be any connection between your Woodwards and my William Woodward who was born 1843 in Basford, Nottingham and married Ellen Farley 12th June 1864 in the Parish Church of Edgbaston, Warwick? They had 10 children, Mary, William, Lizzie, Charles, Florence, Albert, Julia, Jeanette, Oscar and Edgar.

kindest regards,

Maria

Sorry Maria , there's no connection ...my grandfather was born in Spondon, Derbyshire & moved to Canada.
Keep searching though, you will find yours. :D

Hi Darlene,
That's a pity, all the same I appreciate your kindness in taking the time to answer, likewise I wish you all the best in your searching, happy hunting!

Maria

Back