• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dean family tailor’s shops in Birmingham

BrumMack

master brummie
I like this view of High Street as it brings out lots of details on the buildings. No specific date for it but looks to me about 1910s (?) I think it’s the junction with New Street (off to the left) looking down towards Dale End. This part of the street suffered WW2 bombing. Viv.

View attachment 132594
Does anyone have any information on Dean's Tailor's, seen here on the junction of New Street and High Street, including dates they were on that site and any more information on their history? Thanks

A couple of adverts. In 1922 John Deans tailoring was unexcelled by any other tailor. And his repitation wasn’t just confined to Birmingham. He opened up in Sunderland too in 1902. So was obviously doing well in the early 1900s. Viv.

Attachments

• 8AE83F64-60DF-4CBE-A581-68D829CF8B9C.jpeg
    8AE83F64-60DF-4CBE-A581-68D829CF8B9C.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 8
  • 92D332AE-11F5-4078-A9A2-9506408197B8.jpeg
    92D332AE-11F5-4078-A9A2-9506408197B8.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 8
A couple of adverts. In 1922 John Deans tailoring was unexcelled by any other tailor. And his repitation wasn’t just confined to Birmingham. He opened up in Sunderland too in 1902. So was obviously doing well in the early 1900s. Viv.
JH Dean's Tailors appear to have started business in 1875 (1). For the first decade and a half the business was mostly based at 61 Snow Hill (2). In the mid/late 1880s JH Dean opened a shop on the corner of High Street and New Street (2) and remained there until WW2 when the shop was destroyed in a bombing raid on 10 April 1941(3). This forced JH Deans to relocate to No.1 Snow Hill in late 1943 (4). They moved again, in the early 1960s to 78 Smallbrook Ringway/Queensway and were still there in the early 1970's (2). I don't know what happened to them after that.
They also had branches outside of Birmingham, e.g. Sunderland.

Sources
1. Francis White Directory of Birmingham, 1875
2. Kelly's Directories of Birmingham (various)
3. Wikipedia article on 'Birmingham Blitz'
4. Birmingham Mail, Advert, 27 November 1943 (British Newspaper Archive).

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on Dean's Tailor's, seen here on the junction of New Street and High Street, including dates they were on that site and any more information on their history? Thanks
Just joined the forum and can add a little bit to this query. My grandfather (Herbert Whorwood) was the or a manager at the shop around the turn of the century. He subsequently opened his own tailoring shop at 76 Digbeth, pictured here. Due reference to Mr Dean which no doubt benefited them both. Sadly Herbert went to war and his son fiddled the takings (allegedly!), and on his return he had to file for bankruptcy. He died in 1924, leaving his other sons to pay off the debts.
024C3B74-FF37-45C6-9CA6-718FAD71897B.jpeg

Brothers I think. George Charles b1848, John Henry b1850. Sons of Charles Dean and Mary Ann Fullwood.

Both appear to have had one son (Norman George Charles & John Henry) each (and a few daughters) both of whom are listed in the tailoring industry in 1911.

Last edited:
As there are several tailor’s shops run by different members of the Dean family I have expanded this thread by copying information from other threads to this one which show their business interests. Viv.

George and John had 2 sisters - Mary Jane and Alice Helen - and they both married tailors. Weren't local in 1911 though.

They also has 2 other (surviving) brothers Albert Reuben and Isaiah - but they went into the furniture trade.

Their father - Charles - didn't start as a tailor but he's listed as such in 1881.

Some information on GC Dean Tailors:

GC Dean’s Tailors would have been a familiar sight for shoppers in Birmingham city centre, in the late 19th to early/mid 20th century.

George Charles Dean began his tailoring business with a shop in Summer Lane in the early 1870s. He went on to develop one of the largest clothing businesses in Birmingham (1) and became proprietor of a dozen shops across the Midlands and beyond (2).

In 1875 he established a shop in the Bull Ring and maintained a presence there until his business shutdown (3).

In addition to the presence in the Bull Ring, GC Dean became the first occupier of the building on the North East corner of the junction of Corporation Street with New Street in 1892: a prime retail site. This became the headquarters of the business until GC Dean sold their interest in the building in 1938 (2,3). The building still stands today (4).

When he died, on 1st June 1939 aged 90 years, he had been in the tailoring business for seventy years. He was actively involved until his death, attending GC Dean’s High Street premises in the Bull Ring just a few days before he died (2).

During his life, apart from business, George Charles Dean was involved with political liberalism and the Methodist church. Prior to his death he was the oldest surviving member of the Birmingham Liberal Club and he was associated with the Cambridge Road Methodist Church of which he was a trustee (5).

His business did not long survive him. His estate was declared bankrupt and went into administration in October 1939 (6).

The following business premises were part of that estate:
94, High Street, Birmingham;
11, The Burges, Coventry;
9, Gallowtree Gate, Leicester:
21, Wine Street, Bristol;
27, Long Row, Nottingham;
28, Market Place, Nuneaton;
18, High Street, Sheffield;
35, Above Bar, Southampton;
23. Market Street, Tamworth;
83, High Street, Cradiey Heath

Sources:
1 Birmingham Faces & Places, Vol 6, p112
2 Obituary Mr. George Charles Dean, Birmingham Post 2 June 1939
3 Kelly’s Directories of Birmingham
4 Google Street View, Junction of New Street and Corporation Street, April 2019
5 Article on George Charles Dean funeral, Birmingham Post, 6 June 1939
6 Bankruptcy notice published in Birmingham Post, 31st October 1939.
(All newspaper content provided online via British Newspaper Archive).

Last edited:
Was this part of the Dean family interest ? Looks very like the Newbury’s building. Viv.

View attachment 161057View attachment 161064
AR Dean's building was on the north-east corner of the Corporation Street / Bull Street junction. It was purpose built for the company in 1885. At some point between 1910 and 1913 AR Deans vacated this building and Dunn & Co, hatters moved in. I understand the building was demolished in the early to mid 1960s
(Sources: Kelly's Directories of Birmingham and Roy Thornton's 'Victorian Buildings of Birmingham').

My great uncle and his wife were managing the Wine Lodge Burges Coventry in 1939, is this the place mentioned on the list for the Estate? (Ref 1939 register and notes my Mom wrote). I was never sure whether he owned it or not.
rosie.

Edit correction, I've just checked and the Wine Lodge was 17 not 11, sorry.

Last edited:
My great uncle and his wife were managing the Wine Lodge Burges Coventry in 1939, is this the place mentioned on the list for the Estate? (Ref 1939 register and notes my Mom wrote). I was never sure whether he owned it or not.
rosie.
The Burges is a street near the central of Coventry. GC Dean's tailor's shop was at No.11 and that was part of his estate in 1939. Other businesses will have occupied other addresses in the Burges that were not part of the GC Dean estate.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Off thread but answering a question:
1940 Kelly's for Warwickshire has the following entry
1631027583886.png
c1938 map
1631027832435.png
The building still seems to be there
1631027916583.png

Last edited:
Back