• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Days Of Old…

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
Days Of Old.‚.…

Days Of Old.‚.…

Let me take you to days of old.
Our neighbours were friendly, generous, courageous and bold.
When they all knew your name; The Vicar, Priest, the man in the shop, and even the friendly local Cop.

We played in the street without terror, or fear and went to the pub to get .‚.‘our Nan.‚.’s.‚.’ beer.
When we wondered around without a care in the world, had adventures and games, like kiss chase both the boys and the girls.

And every street had an old woman known as .‚.‘The witch.‚.’ who would chase away kids with a broom or a switch.
When a penny was a fortune and a tanner was more, we tout for odd jobs cheeky enough and knock every door.
When we kids would walk, cycle, or ride on the bus and no matter how big our gang was, The Old
Folk had no reason to be afraid of us.

Today the kids are behind fences, windows and doors.
With Playstations, computers, cell phones and the T.V.
In this advanced world of technology, but no longer free.

:

Re: Days Of Old.‚.…

If I have one regret in my life it was going from Cromwell St on to the Land Mine(so called because a Land mine blew the place to bits)
We use to go past an Old fellows house and because we did not now what Shell Shock was we tormented that old chap and use to throw duckers at his door, how I wish I could turn the clock back.
But as I have said Life is a learning curve and when you know it all YOU DIE

And when we were young we learned of the world from our parents and not the tv
And our folks didn't worry when we played in the street because it was safe then you see
And by the school gates at the end of the day were parents with kisses and hugs
no wierdos or perverts hanging around or pushers selling us drugs

That was our world and its gone
Love the poem Chris :smitten:

So very true Jerry.
But my Granddaughter takes everything on board I tell her. and I smile when she says " If Granddad said itis Right,
Its Right " How I love that kid.

Grandkids are the icing on the cake
Bless 'em all :smitten:

In this world of computers I understand we loose some and gain some - just wonder how much we gain - Beryl M

I loved all of the comments to this poem, and like some of you , I look back on "The Good Old Day's" when things were different. Of course they were different, they were for us and for us alone.We think of nothing but the good times, for memory has a habit of leaving out those not so good times.
The children of today, now, well it is their time, different, yes, it is bound to be for no time period is the same as the last.
The youngster of today will, as we do, look only to the good times in their lives. Every generations past was fornulated by the generation before it. We must remember that we have to some extent generated our childrens present, and they are only playing the games that we have created for them. Our children of today will create their childrens future, and as each generation passes good times will be remembered.

Sorry if I have broken a few bubbles., but I felt that I had to say what I have said.

Robert

hi pom , true are the words , of your wonderful verse it made me stop and think of the days gone bye, in my childhood days being brought up in lichfield road and the neibours we had and the kids we grew up with up our terrace cromell terrace life then was a slow pace , even teddy boys , was,t a problem, not like today , with gangs of mugger,s vag obonds, but SADLY LIFE AS BECOME SO FAST, AND AGREEDY HUMAN RACE AND THE FITTEST AND THE RICHEST, WILL SURVIE THIS SUPERIA RACE, I AGREE WITH ROB , WHAT WE KNOW HIS WHAT WE HAVE LEART FROM OUR FORE FATHER,S AND WE HAVE PASSED OUR KNOWLEDGE TO THEM, AND NOW THEY ARE TEACHING US THE NEW TECHNOLOGHY OF TODAY ,ONCE AGAIN POM , GREAT VERSE,S , YOU HAVE GIVEN ME FOOD FOR THOUGHT, FOR TODAY,,, BEST WISHES AND HAVE A NICE DAY ASTONIAN ,,,,,

:angel: Robert, I think we all know and agree to some extent to what you are pointing out.
However you only have to look at a number of the old and more up to date pictures posted on the forum , to reflect on how sad it is that the streets are no longer full of people working, chatting, using transport of all discriptions and just mulling around, but just a few folk, public transport and cars

Last edited:
A good visual illustration Pom. You are quite right in your pointing it out. May I be so bold as to say that they do tend to reenforce my point. Each generation leaves its inheritance to the future, adinfinitum.

It is the words of your poem that are of importance to all of us, not so much the comments that follow.
Ann and I look after our four year old grand-son every Friday, and we try to teach him the old values, the old games and songs. I was reading to him this morning in our puplic library. I changed the story somewhat to inlude him in the adventure. A member of the library staff was listening to me, and made the comment that it was wonderful to see our little chap being taught in such as way.

Robert

Back