• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Day's Crystal Palace Concert Hall

susanna108

I wonder if anyone knows anything about Day's Crystal Palace Concert Hall which was on the corner of Smallbrook Street and Hurst Street? It closed in 1893 and became The Empire Theatre. I believe that my GreatGrandMother, Stella Evans, danced there and I am writing a novel about her life. I would love to hear anything that any of you Brummie Experts might know!

I'm sure there was something about this on an earlier thread about a year or so ago, but can't find it and either didn't save it or it got lost in one of my crashes. Not much help I'm afraid.
Mike

over 20 years ago i boubht and just re-found hidden away 4 old silk programme from the "Day's Crystal Palace Concert Hall" two are dated sept 25 1890 and the other two are sept 17 1890.
if i can work out how to upload them on here i will.

Hello Toecaps.
Thank you for the uploads. I find them really interesting though my Greatgrandmother was there before that time...up to 1877., when she left after having my Grandfather, illegitimately. She worked as a Ballet Girl.

img418.jpg
Day's Crydtal palace in Hurst Street was later to become The Empire.
This is/was an artists impression of the interior before the change took place.

Very ornate theatre Stitcher. Above the bar it advertises 'Old Port and Sherry". So maybe the gentlemen at the bar are taking a tot of sherry or port in the interval. Viv.

Yes, very ornate, I have a theory that no-one else agrees with, I was born at the wrong time. I should have been born two hundred years ago and my parents should have been wealthy. I say that because I know I would have firtted in with the lifestyle that would have come with that.

Back