• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Dawsons Cycle Works - Help Wanted

Bojalu

master brummie
Hello,

Would anyone have any general information or memories of Dawson's Cycle works .
Time period I am looking at is 1920's- 1940
Am I correct in thinking it was based in Ickneild St ?

Thank you
Bo

I have checked a number of directory for that time but I cannot find any Dawsons, in 1922 there are the following for Inknield St all ar for the cycle trade
131 New Hudson Ltd Cycle and Motor Cycle manufactrs,
199 DEAKIN Benj Cycle maker,
264 Centric Cycle Co Manuracturs,

in the 1922 there about 500? firms involved in the cycle trade but no Dawsons

Hello,

Would anyone have any general information or memories of Dawson's Cycle works .
Time period I am looking at is 1920's- 1940
Am I correct in thinking it was based in Ickneild St ?

Thank you
Bo

I Do beleive there was a dawson bike maker at lozells
around that time of years it would have been next to or within that factory before george baines bakery
many years ago i met a old lady whom lived in castle bromwich
and she told me her family had or still making bikes and she was a share holder
she was a very old lady with a disabiltity living in castle brom by t5he toby jug
she lived in a big posh house
check it out i do not remember the name baines was on lozells for that period
best wishes astonian ;;

Have you got the name right /

There was a Dawes Cycles they made a super bike.

There used to be a cycle shop that sold them on the corner of Lichfield Rd. & Bourne Rd. just up towards Birmingham City Centre from Aston station & the Brit Pub.

Dawes used to make i bike called a Clansman it was a voilet colored bike as a kid I promised myself we I went to work I buy one never did.

Ray

thats right robert
i thought of it after my last comment,
i lved in speedwell rd then and in that period of the seventies one week end
they had a break in, and during that week end all the kids in speedwell rd
was riding around on there bikes they made a huge hole in the cannal wall
and the word got around all the kids went for one b wednesday
the police rounded them all back up
be4st wishes Astonian ;;;

I have had a look a trade directories and I cannot find Dawson's either.
There are pages of firms in Trade Directories connected to cycle manufactures , such as handlebars and rims and soforth .
I have no idea if firm my deceased relative worked at was push bikes cycles or motor cycles.
Apparently firm was in Hockley
I will ask other living relatives if they can enlighten me futher.

Bo

hi i worked at the rover abit down the road was a cycle manuracturs but it was called dawes i had a cycle it was a dawes road bike i wish i had it now

Are you confusing this with DAWSONS MOTORCYCLE WORKS ?

This was founded in the Black Country by Leslie "Smokey" Dawson, a reknowned speedway rider. He used Villiers 2 stroke engines in robust square section steel tube frames with the 'Earls' type forks, (where a short swinging arm held the wheel, pivoted at the bottom of the fork tubes. The assembly triangulated by long suspension units.), developed by Ernie Earls of Selly Oak for BSA. The DMW was an odd looking thing, even by 50s standards, but had a strong customer base. Prized today by collectors, with the competition ones being like Hen's Teeth to find !

Have you got the name right /

There was a Dawes Cycles they made a super bike.

There used to be a cycle shop that sold them on the corner of Lichfield Rd. & Bourne Rd. just up towards Birmingham City Centre from Aston station & the Brit Pub.

Dawes used to make i bike called a Clansman it was a voilet colored bike as a kid I promised myself we I went to work I buy one never did.

Ray
I also dreamt of owning a Dawes bike with double clanger back in the late fifties and also never got one. They seemed to be very popular in the club books (catalouges) but when the only income at the time being paper round money the chance of buying one was way out of my reach.

Back