• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davos, Switzerland Sunday Mercury & Kunzle

If anyone has copies of January 1960 editions of the Sunday Mercury you will see a photograph of about 10 youngsters boarding a BEA (British European Airways) airplane to Zurich, I am the fair haired boy
icon7.png
in the centre.

Ian

Hi every one who went to davos i was there from october 1964 to april 1965 i to remember watching churchills funeral on tv i also remember an ice statue of Albert schweitser
out side of pro juventute and of course the toboganing and and the walks around beautiful davos i have never been back but i hope to go sometime in the future
i remember we left from snowhill station and picked up some children from leamington spa and on flight to zurich was invited into the cockpit and then the train up the mountain to davos wonderful memories for a 10 year old from small heath birmingham

If anyone has copies of January 1960 editions of the Sunday Mercury you will see a photograph of about 10 youngsters boarding a BEA (British European Airways) airplane to Zurich, I am the fair haired boy
icon7.png
in the centre.

Ian
Ian,l went to Switzerland in Jan 1963,we had a picture taken on the steps of the BEA plane,l have a feeling you were on that flight.My name was Margaret Okey,l was 13yrs old and travelled with one other girl Carole Robinson,were were both from B'ham.There was a little boy named Robert who was carrying a teddy bear,he had bad asthma and exema.There was also a boy who was from Father Hudsons Home.Does this ring any bells?
I hope you will respond to this email.l could get a copy of the pic,its in my photo album of my time in Davos.We came home August 28th 1963.My little brother was born while l was in Davos and l really did'nt want to leave home but l'm glad l went because my asthma left me while l was living in Davos.:courage:

Hi Swiss Miss what a strange and nice feeling to get this reply, it sent a tingle down my spine. I was only 7 years old when I flew out my flight which was also a BEA from Birmingham or Elmdon however it was then in January 1960 and none of the people you mention are familiar. My asthma has also left me but it took until I became 21, it would be nice to see the photograph of you getting on the plane :biggrin:.

Hello everyone, I live in London and occasionally google "Pro Juventute" + Davos and found your thread. I have read the pages and read some great memories. I was there at the same time as one of the contributors. My name is Belinda and I was there for just three months in 1971. I had come from boardings schools for asthmatics called Gap House in Broadstairs, from ages 7 till 9, then Laleham School in Margate from 9 till 13, but was terribly unhappy and still very ill. So I was then told one day that I'd be going to Switzerland and could stay there 18 to 24 months. I was immediately well, and so started playing up and organising break outs and switching our urine samples for lemonade and so on. After 3 months they sent me home but I then was well enough to go to normal schools. Anyway, whilst at Davos, I was there from May till August 1971, and I took a lot of photographs. I have fond memories actually, and had forgotten than I was sent home for being naughty till my Mum reminded me a year ago! Girls I remember were Gina (who I met in Limehouse many many years ago), Sue Cox (who lived in Bethnal Green and I met her again in my early 20s - I'm 54 now), Sandra (Dowling?) and many others. I even wrote their names on the backs of the photos. Such an organised little girl! I remember the 'machines' we used which I am sure were not salbutamol, and had distinctive smells. Two were placed in the gym, and one on each floor. I would love to know what they were. One guy who arrived before me had come from Wales but within two weeks had lost his accent. I found there to be no bullying (something I had suffered at the previous school). Indeed we were all very much together.

So much more to write! Another memory was the dreaded skin ..... tests. They told me I was allergic to pretty much everything. I knew I wasn't allergic to anything. They failed to put essence of cigarette smoke under my skin (both parents smoked), as well as essence of "trouble at home" which was the main cause of my asthma! One of the many photos I have names Malcolm Chalk and Malcolm York. I have googled both and telephoned them both and wonder if they will (even want to) reply. I think someone should start a Facebook Group specifically for "Sanitorium pro Juventute, Caselva". Maybe I will if I thought enough people would want to join. So yes, in a few days I shall scan all my photos with the names I have on the back. Best wishes to you all for now! Belinda x

Haahaha! I wrote the word skinprick and the software thinks I am being rude. It's a word meaning something that pushes into your skin to enter the subcutaneous area below it. ANOTHER memory was that because of the time of year I was there, there was very little school. I have been back to Caselva since on motorcycle trips across Europe. It was being used as a nurse's home for the rest of the school areas. (In about 2006). I photographed it then too. And we walked the mountain behind it, something I could have only dreamed about doing at the time! Does anyone remember how we would have to fill out our laundry lists in Swiss-German! I can't remember any of it except of course the root meaning Essen for food, and for some reason I remember that squirrel means 'Hansi'. I was writing a diary every day at this time (I have done since 1st january 1970 and still do) and wrote down all my fears and memories. I had better stop now. I'll do photos later.

Great to see your entry, looking forward to seeing your photos.
The website was hacked a while ago and most of the photos where lost.
Best Wishes

Steve Hooper

Well then we should all inhabit THIS Facebook group. I did not start it, I found it by searching on F acebook. I will upload all my photos on to it, and hope you and others will join it. I am not from Birmingham so do not really belong here on this site either!

Anyway, try here.

Malcolm York, Wendy, Susan Cox, Gina, Sandy, Malcolm Chalk in garden of Caselva, June 1971.jpg
Hi, the above looks small but from left to right, Malcolm York, Wendy, Sue Cox (remember being dosed on all those steroids?) Gina, Sandy and Malcolm Chalk. Some more to come...

Caselva June 1971.jpgGina at top, Sandy, Wendy, Sue Cox, Franny and Maria at bottom. Caselva balcony, June 1971.jpgGina, Susan Cox, Sandy and Wendy, Caselva June 1971.jpg
Left photo, view from the Hill.
Middle photo, on the balcony, from top: Gina, Sandy, Wendy, Sue Cox on right, Franny and Maria at bottom. June 1071
On Right, Gina (from Limehouse area of London), Sue Cox (Bethnal Green), Sandy and Wendy.

Hello again, Good to see that new people are using site ,I also have a few photos from my stay April 64 to June 65 ,so was present with one other who has also made a recent entry .Thanks to Peckham Rose for putting photos on Facebook. I will have to seek IT advice ,so I can put mine on.
Now for the memories :The Food ,I guess it was OK I cannot remember the names of the dishes ,but I had my first yoghurt there, we had a yellow rice dish that no one liked ,we called it "mices ears" My favorites were some sort of mixed fruit salad ,and a cheese on toast dish. Sorry for being a bit crude ,but I also remember dashing to the smeelly toilet after leggi .
We had a record player ,and just Rolling Stones ,and Beatles records to play on it .Dr Meyer would impound it if it was played too loud .The walks were great fun ,I particularly liked walking upto Shatzalp ,and sometimes we were treated to a glass of Apfelsaft .
Christmas was different ,we performed some sort of Chrismas play ,and I read out a peice in German . I had one present ,a Jaguar Corgi car .I think it was from my auntie Joan? Not many people had presents,so perhaps I was the lucky one ?
At bed time a nurse would come into our rooms ,and we'd all sing a prayer, in German , to the music of Brahms Lullaby . I still remember all the words ,but no longer sing it befoer I go to sleep . At night we had to be in bed by 8pm ,and all our clothes had to be neatly folded ,and placed at the end of our beds, I still do this ,and a few months ago my sister reminded me that when I came home the family were amazed how tidy I had become.
Keep remembering things ,so will try to post them as and when they spring to mind

I really enjoyed reading your memories of Davos.l was there Jan 63-Aug 63.Just sorry it was long before your time there.

We all have so much to chat about.We had a huge reunion around 1972 held at Holiday Inn in Birmingham city centre.

There were people there from many years.It was organised by The Sunday Mercury newspaper who sent many kids over

with donations from Give a Girl Health Fund.l even had a photo taken with afew girls that was published.

l'd love to know if anyone remembers this.There were ladies from The British Red Cross at the party.Does anyone

remember this occaison?

Hi, the Reunion in 1972 would have been way too early for me, I was only 14 then and had been back from Davos one year! I am going to post a lot more photos now on the two Facebook Groups. One of the Facebook groups is called "Haus Caselva, Davos", which does not seem to have too many people in but has loads of photographs in it, and no identifiable names as fans! The other is another called "People who went to Davos Switzerland for asthma..." long title! So go there, specially if you were there around 1971 as I also photo'd a few of the staff.

well done to PeckhamRose for posting photos i wished you had been there at the time i was as sadly ihave no photos
I would love to see some of the time i was in davos april 64 oct 65
does anyone else remember the ice carved statue of albert schwitzer it was about 10 ft tall and stood outside of pro juventute

Back