• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davos, Switzerland Sunday Mercury & Kunzle

Hello everybody,

Monica asks if anybody recognises someone in her photographs. Well I do - Monica herself! I'm (I hope) one of the Davids she refers to. We travelled out in the same group in September 1958 and came back in the same group in March 1959. Afterwards I remember meeting her by chance on a couple of occasions at the Birmingham Ice Rink and then no more - that is until now. Last week I was browsing an article about the Davos World Economic Forum - and it got me thinking about Pro Juventute - so I googled "Pro Juventute Sanitorium" which took me straight to this site! I read the first entry, 2009, asking for contributions and started to scan down and enjoy all of the entries, also wondering if Monica might be in there. You can imagine my astonishment when I hit gold just a few lines down - nearly fell off my chair in fact!

I have a number of old photos that I hope I'll be able to dig out and upload here in the next day or so. with some description. One is of the "Caselva boys" of the winter of 58/9" (Is that how you spell Caselva - I'd remembered it starting with a K - perhaps that's because of the way it's pronounced? - and I'm intrigued by the variations on the spelling of ligi - which is right?). Another photo is of me (ugh!) holding a Christmas candle - just like Monica's

Monica -would you be interested in communicating directly? I'd love to catch up what can be remembered of the short 6 month period of our time in Davos and what's happened in the following 52 years! I think you remember a lot of things that I have completely forgotten and that photo album of yours intrigues me.

Best Wishes
David

Hi David, well how amazing!! I was so pleased to see your entry on the Forum. You were luckier than I was, so far you are the only person on the forum to have gone to Davos anywhere near the time we were there! I am looking forward to seeing your photos very much. I too remember the couple of times we met at an ice rink in Birmingham - skating in a small city rink was so boring after the huge rink in Davos, I am not surprised we didn't meet again!

Last edited:
H I'm intrigued by the variations on the spelling of ligi - which is right?).

Hi David,

the Swiss like to add an "i" to all sorts of words (like muesli). Liegen is the German word for lying down, so to make it more Swiss and more suitable for children, they change it to "Liegi". I suppose it's a bit like talking Brummie. Curiously a Swiss accent makes Germans laugh just like a Brummie accent sometimes makes non-Brummies giggle. You won't find it in a dictionary.

Best

Kim :eek:)

Hi Steve,

I was in Caselva from December 1969 to summer 1970 - were you still there during that time? I was only 6 years old and have few clear memories - more impressions than anything: I recall the schoolroom was in the basement I think, and I remember classes with Frau Schwitter who was very kind to me was pretty small in height, had red hair and had ezcema as well as astma. It's really interesting to hear everyone else's stories about their time in Davos and to see the photos. I am sure my time in Davos did my physical health a lot of good as my asthma was never as bad afterwards, but I am not sure that being so far from home for so long at that age was such a good thing emotionally.

Hi Everyone,
I haven't visited this site for a while but it has been good to see the photo's and read about your memories I think most of us have similar memories and they all seem to be good which says a lot for Davos.
Hi Steve, It was good to hear from you and see your photo's looking at them I think I do remember Bob and Nigel Lewis. I remember the Staff and some of the teachers as well.
I think it would be good for us to keep in touch like this and anyone else who was there should join in if they can. Yes Jo Dickie, I remember the school room being in the basement, and the dining room on the floor above, which I think was also the boys floor, and the girls floor and nurses rooms etc. was on the floor above that.
As someone mentioned earlier we were away from home for a long time and some of us were very young which I don't think would be allowed now but I think most of us enjoyed ourselves and are glad that we went.
Hope to write again soon, well maybe in a short while. I hope the rest of you keep in touch on this site as well.
Kind regards to everyone
Gillian.

I was in Davos for 6 months in 1977, i have fond memories. I was literally covered in eczema when i got there, from head to toe, it was inbetween my toes, fingers, even in my ears, literally i was covered. I was terribly thin as well, 13 years old, i weighed under 5 stone.
when i got to the unit I wasn’t made to feel that welcome by some of the other kids. I was the last English person sent to the unit as it was closing.

there were girls and boys there when i arrived but i was told that most of them were returning home and the ones staying were in need of an extra 6 months, some were from Birmingham, some Liverpool and some Northampton. We was in a building up the road when i arrived, not the unit with the floors, I always thought the house was caselva and the bigger house with three floors pictured above in some posts was Pro Juventute, I must be wrong about that. I remember the breakfasts, my favourite day was sundays as we got Chicken and chips, lol

The first morning there was my first morning away from home in my life and I was a bit homesick but that soon passed, it was Very deep snow outside and the rest went out on the morning shopping, i stayed behind because i was examined by a doctor and sister fisher. Now sister fisher was quite scary to me but after i came back i missed her!

the next day we was allowed out and me and some of the boys, Mark, Glugg, and Stephen went up to Schatzalp, on our own i may add, it was the deepest snow i had ever seen, in some parts up to my waist, we walked as high as the avalanche barriers and i was thinking i could start an avalanche, lol. later that month we went tobogganing, ski-ing, ice skating, i loved it all. once the snow had dissppeared... (about 12 weeks almost half my stay

we had walks to some really lovely places around Davos and beyond, we had train journeys and walks round the lake, Davof dorf, Platz, Chur, Klosters and all over. football consumed a lot of days and i was told i was quite good at the time by Richard, I remember it being the first time someone had taken the time to praise my efforts, he also taught me to swim. I remember the English Church, St Luke’s and we visited it on some sundays.

as i said we was in the house when i got there up a side road but after a while a lot of people went home and only 6 of us remained..... all boys and we was moved to the building with three balconies. downstairs on the bottom were very young children and on the top were swiss, Italian, and German young ladies same age as us. Whilst there i became very fond of two girls, Urina and Claudia, Claudia was swiss.

the boys that remained with me were (Mark Harrison Northampton, Andrew Glover Hinckley, Andrew Jowsey Birmingham, a small lad called Lawrence Holmes from Northampton and Stephen Warwick from Northampton. we also had two German older boys with us and a lad called Johan from Belguim, who i remember crying when we left. We was all on the middle floor

of course i didn't want to go home.....who did??? when i got home back in England my eczema had gone completely, but alas my asthma hadn't although it was a lot better. whilst out there we had two teachers one called Carrie and one Richard, think they were going out with each other. we all watched football on TV once a week, Football, usually a sunday when they showed the English games. we also watched the 1977 FA Cup final between Liverpool and Manchester United. Abba and the Beatles were the big groups people liked when i was there.
one thing that did happen whilst i was there was my introduction to Ventolin Inhalers, one day whilst walking i became wheezy, first time and i was given a dose of Ventolin. in an instant my wheezing went

what was the miracle inhaler i asked everyone and why hadn't i had one in England , lol think they were new but i don't know, i got one when i got home and have been on them ever since. i started a facebook group for Caselva and Davos https://www.facebook.com/groups/projuventutedavos/ (link updated Aug 1st 2020) and will of course link back to this thread, would love few a from here to join and of course come on here and reminice

i have a few photo's and my memories but one day i hope to speak with some that was there in Davos. Sister Fisher bless her must be well into 80's if she's still alive, think she came from Broadstairs.

as someone said above , Davos possibly saved my life and i'm grateful to have gone there even if it didn't cure me, Bryan

Last edited:
As one of the first load of asthmatic brumies to invade davos dorf and davos platze, we were billeted in chateue bruxells .i rember a couple of days later we had to dig our way down the slope the local boys and girls were taking the micky out of us idont think they had seen a load of boys in green wets, what a snow ball fight. After settling in i was in a bedroom with a bloody great iron spider on the window, our teachers were , pamela aires the other two have sliped my mind at the moment. One of the most memorable times besides the chocalates and the kunzle girls was actualy meeting christian kunzle alovely man. Twice a week we had to walk to the hospital for lung function which ididnt mind it gave us time to be able to spend our few bob that our parents could send.i still have the little music box ibought for my mom and dad, once they found out that i used to sing in the yardley church choir thanks to miss stuart thats another teacher i wound up singing inthe english church choir. I also remember fracturing my leg whilst sledging down the parsenbaghn which ended my outdoor activities for a while i had a nice easy job sweeping the balcony and putting out the beds for the afrenoon siesta once ihad finished with the hospital and all at davos,ihave revisted davos, although it bought back so many memories the main one being cured of asthma , and seeing my mothers eyes when i stepped of the train one foot taller i then joined the army and passed a1 for the parachute regiment thank youchristion kunzle . More memories to come..

In This photo Christian Kunzle & Peter Judd are seeing children off on their way to Switzerland at Snow Hill Station. I have no connection with anybody who went to Switzerland but this photo has always fascinated me because not knowing the two gentlemen I have always thought that the gentleman in the photo in the black topcoat and trilby hat a dead ringer for Percy Shurmer. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I could identify the two gents.

Phil

CristianKunzlePeterJudd.jpg

As one of the first load of asthmatic brumies to invade davos dorf and davos platze, we were billeted in chateue bruxells .i rember a couple of days later we had to dig our way down the slope the local boys and girls were taking the micky out of us idont think they had seen a load of boys in green wets, what a snow ball fight. After settling in i was in a bedroom with a bloody great iron spider on the window, our teachers were , pamela aires the other two have sliped my mind at the moment. One of the most memorable times besides the chocalates and the kunzle girls was actualy meeting christian kunzle alovely man. Twice a week we had to walk to the hospital for lung function which ididnt mind it gave us time to be able to spend our few bob that our parents could send.i still have the little music box ibought for my mom and dad, once they found out that i used to sing in the yardley church choir thanks to miss stuart thats another teacher i wound up singing inthe english church choir. I also remember fracturing my leg whilst sledging down the parsenbaghn which ended my outdoor activities for a while i had a nice easy job sweeping the balcony and putting out the beds for the afrenoon siesta once ihad finished with the hospital and all at davos,ihave revisted davos, although it bought back so many memories the main one being cured of asthma , and seeing my mothers eyes when i stepped of the train one foot taller i then joined the army and passed a1 for the parachute regiment thank youchristion kunzle . More memories to come..

Thanks for telling us your memories Bob

:010:
what great memories bryan and bob...thanks for sharing them with us..

Lyn
hi lyn. Thanks for the reply, ihave always said nostalgia is one of the greatest uplifts in life and thank god we have alot of wonderful memories good and bad. There is a lot of memories about switzerland and christian kunzle to come, i have to put them to paper so i dont forget them. Talking to the lads from the from the frothblowers they said i should put it all in writing, lots more to come. Regards para bob.:010:

I look forward to that Bob.
PS. Glad to see you're finally getting the hang of this site:thumbsup:
Chris in the Lad:)

:010:
hi lyn. Thanks for the reply, ihave always said nostalgia is one of the greatest uplifts in life and thank god we have alot of wonderful memories good and bad. There is a lot of memories about switzerland and christian kunzle to come, i have to put them to paper so i dont forget them. Talking to the lads from the from the frothblowers they said i should put it all in writing, lots more to come. Regards para bob.:010:

and quite right they are too bob....looking forward to more of your memories....

lyn

Im new to this so here goes. My name is Marion. I stayed at caselva from july 1971 to feb. 1972. I was 9 years old at the time and remember leaving new street station for london, we spent the night in a hotel then next morning flew to zurich from heathrow. The names of some of the others in my group were, joan, karen, philip and mark. I remember sharing a room on the first floor of caselva with a sandra and a wendy. In the older girls room was a girl named alison who sadly died whilst out there. I can remember the red squirrels, ice skating and going down schaltzalp on sledges. Im enjoying reading everyones memories and would love to hear from anyone who was out there the same time as me.

Hi Mazza

I wasn't at Caselva the same time as you as I arrived in August 1972 but you mention two familiar names..would Karen be a red head, surname Unwin? and Mark might be Huttley (nickname Muttly for obvious reasons!). I was 15 at the time and it must have been very difficult for you to leave home at such a young age...full credit to you. Was Lyzette Woon there at the same time as you...from Rugby?
Other possible names are Andy Burns, Harry, Franny (a really tall guy!) Mary, Debbie Gaffney, Wendy.

Steve

Im new to this so here goes. My name is Marion. I stayed at caselva from july 1971 to feb. 1972. I was 9 years old at the time and remember leaving new street station for london, we spent the night in a hotel then next morning flew to zurich from heathrow. The names of some of the others in my group were, joan, karen, philip and mark. I remember sharing a room on the first floor of caselva with a sandra and a wendy. In the older girls room was a girl named alison who sadly died whilst out there. I can remember the red squirrels, ice skating and going down schaltzalp on sledges. Im enjoying reading everyones memories and would love to hear from anyone who was out there the same time as me.

Gillian

I have only just stumbled across this blog which is very dear to my heart having spent nearly seven months in Caselva as a 7 year old boy who had a lovely eighth birthday there just before returning home to England. I returned to the clinic around 1987 and introduced myself, wow what a really warm welcome they gave me and within literally five minute they produced my file which by that time was about 25 years old and gave it to me as a souvenir which I still cherish today as it contains a letter from my father to the clinic which still brings a tear to my eye.

I was delighted to read your thread, I was also in Pro Juventute from November 1965 - May 1968. I was there when the English children moved up to Caselva. As I said I went home in May 1968 but in 1971 I returned to Davos again and stayed in Sanatorium Sanitas where the elder patients stayed, and I went home again in 1973, so in all I've spent four and half years in Davos and can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. Dr. Hans Meyer was the doctor we were under, a real gentleman. We used to go tobogganing and ice-skating, also we went for lots of walks, and as you remembered the squirrels used to eat of our hands they were very tame. As I said I was deighted to come across this site as Davos has been in my toughts a lot lately and I don't seem to be able to find out much about it. I think you probaly went out there when I went home in May 1968 as I don't remember you but it 's nice to hear from someone who was there as well as they are great memories to have.

Hi Ian....thought you might like to know that there are several individuals
Gillian
on the Friends Reunited site in case you're looking to trace others.

Hope you're keeping well...Steve

I have only just stumbled across this blog which is very dear to my heart having spent nearly seven months in Caselva as a 7 year old boy who had a lovely eighth birthday there just before returning home to England. I returned to the clinic around 1987 and introduced myself, wow what a really warm welcome they gave me and within literally five minute they produced my file which by that time was about 25 years old and gave it to me as a souvenir which I still cherish today as it contains a letter from my father to the clinic which still brings a tear to my eye.

Hi Phil.
My name is Tony Beasley and i am one of the boys in the photo at snow hill station, it was taken in June 1953. I cant answer your question but where did you
get this photo from?. Wonderful memories.

Hi
This just goes to show you never know who is looking at these photo's, and must be fantastic when
someone sees an old photo and they are on on it and very importantly can give information on that photo.
as the one Phil posted, we now know it was 1954. I just love stories like this.

Regards Stars

Back