• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davos, Switzerland Sunday Mercury & Kunzle

Hello Steve , from what I remember there were trees behind and to the right of Projuventute in 1964/65 ,so someone must have knocked them down .
Our school building has been knocked down to make way for the new building. Thanks Malcolm

IMG2.jpgHI all here,s a clip from the sunday mercury dated 11th april 1965 found it today at the new libraryIMG1.jpgmichael, from left colleen Steadman, ann lineham, Stephen summerhill, Michael emery.

oh wow michael if you read my post 13 i mentioned a friend of mine who lived opposite me in villa st going to switzerland and there she is in the photo you have found...colleen steadman on the left...the years have just rolled back seeing that pic of her...thanks ever so much

lyn

HI lyn that's great for you, to see a photo of your friend, I believe I travelled there and back with the same three children, Stephen summerhill was the brother of a blues player, all the best Michael

morning michael the penny has just dropped that you are also in that photo how wonderful...i remember a blues player called summerhill...i am going to try and track down colleen will let you know if i have any luck..

lyn

Hi.
My name is Tony Beasley and i went out to Chateau Bruxelles in 1953. What is your name?. I have some photos from when we were their. I shall be going back next year especially to visit St Lukes church where we had to clean the brass fittments every three or four weeks. Yes i remember a drowning. Hope to here from you.

I do not recall cleaning the brass in St Luke's, though I remember the Chaplain; I think his name was Mr Dolley and he was most appreciated for arranging chess contests. I rather think that he was in charge of the English Library across the road. St Luke's has long since ceased to be an Anglican church and is only occasionally open. I was fortunate this summer to find it open one evening: it brought back many memories, chiefly though of the funeral of Susan Wilson (known as 'Mole') in April 1968.
Charles

10608762_1491902011089290_7960857930204093652_o.jpgCan't contribute anything to this thread other than this photo of a plate on a writing slope I bought off e-bay last week.

Hi Tony, I may be wrong but I seem to remember your name from Davos although I was there in 1956. Is my memory playing tricks? My name is Trevor Stockton

Hi Charles.
What year did you go to Davos?. I was their in 1953. for 6 months.

Tony.

I was there somewhat later, at Caselva, from November 1967 to June 1968. I was there again this summer (my first visit in almost twenty years) and was sad to find that Caselva has been torn down, Pro Juventute is being readied for 'development', and not much is left of what we remember -- apart from St Luke's, forlorn relic of the area now hardly remembered as 'the English Quarter'. However, in compensation there are the Davos archives with Timothy Nelson, the archivist, working with the utmost dedication to preserve the records of Davos as a health resort. *So much had changed that I felt grateful to the mountains: they have not altered much, in shape or aspect.
Charles

Yes I live in birmingham , I went over about April 1967 and came home about October that year .i had my 10th birthday in davos .

Hi Trevor.
I was in davos in 1953 for six months. The adults that accompanied us were Miss Skivington, Miss Aize, and head person was a Mr Yoxall, plus two dinner ladies. I hope to include Davos into my holiday next summer. All the best. Tony.

Hi Gillian, just came across your message reference Sanatorium Sanitas, certainly was a long time ago, but what memories. I was also there in 1971 and have a few photos
which help. I know your messages where dated a few years ago, but i would love to hear from you, take care.
Colin Richards...

Hi Steve... You have a great recollection of events of 50 + years ago.
I was there 1966 to 1967 8 months in total I spent my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday there.
Although I don’t remember things as clearly as you. I remember a fellow Brummie from Kingstanding called Christopher Stanton, and sadly remember one older boy that unfortunately died whilst we was playing together in his room,
I have always held Davos in my heart and strongly believe that the experience I had at such a young lad set me up for life..
Reading your stories brings a lot flooding back to me
Thanks for that..
Clive Leach..

Hi Gillian,
You must have been quite poorly to have spent all those years there, My name is Clive Leach, brummie lad, i was there for approx 9 months 1966 to 1967, i was only 6 years old and spent my 7th birthday in Pro Juventute. Have vague but fond memories..

Hi Helping my partner sort out her family history--I obtained original letters written by a girl Edie Davison who was at the Kunzle Chateau in 1936. She was to die later in the year and was buried at St Matthews Church, Duddeston Birmingham on
23rd December 1936. Her letters were full of the usual stuff(she was 20 when she died)--asking how her widowed Mom and siblings were getting on--and her boyfriend Jack. Edie had TB(Consumption)--and I think it was the last throw of the dice for her. As it was a poignant letter(and my hobby is writing songs)--I put this little ditty together. I pictured her alone one late February afternoon in her dormitory--writing a letter home.

Hello England, hello Brum
Lupin Street and dearest Mom
Lover Jack and hazy sun
And air that I can`t breathe

Thirteen kisses my pen drips
Substitution for my lips
Daughter Edie`s thrilled to bits
May God be kind to me?

I hope this is not too much?

Roger
xmas 54

Back