• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

David Trevor - Help

JOSEPH TREVOR, b. 22 Jun 1840, at the corn dealership, 85 Coleshill street, Birmingham Bap st Martin, Birmingham 15.7.1840; d. 1911, Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire; m. SARAH JAMES, 1872, Birmingham; b. 1844, Birmingham; d. 1908, Hampton in Arden.

1861 Joseph is a baker but is staying along with his theatrical brother David Trevor and a woman Eliza Trevor spuriously described as David’s wife at The Castle Inn, Spalding, Lincs. David and Eliza appear to be on tour.

1871 Joseph is still single and living with his sister Ellen and his brother in law John Jones. Occupation baker at Garrison Lane, Bordesley, Birmingham. This is the small shop which is annexed to the Garrison Tavern.

1881 Baker. Married no children. At 256 Garrison Lane, Aston.

1885 Takes over running the Garrison Tavern in Garrison Lane. Placed an advert in the Gloucester Citizen newspaper - Wanted: young man to assist in a Public House and make himself generally useful; one from the country preferred. Joseph Trevor, The Garrison Tavern, Birmingham.

1891 At 108 Garrison lane, Birmingham, living next door to his nephew William. This is probably the shop annexe part of the Garrison Tavern or the bakery as above.

1895 - He sometimes lets the Garrison pub to auctioneers to use as a saleroom.

1901- Joseph and his wife had moved to run an unnamed pub in Hampton in Arden High street. I think that this has to be the White Lion opposite the church although there had been one or two other pubs at one time. His brother David Trevor married one of his wives at the church opposite.

1911 He was living at a house in Belle Vue terrace, Hampton in Arden which is a small road off the High street. Now a widower and described as a retired publican he is with his nephew and family. It was recorded that he had had no children.

He died 1.12.1911 and left £407.10s.3d to his nephew, sister Ellen’s son John Jones.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MSB
Many thanks for your herculean effort in all this @Susan D - I will certainly make use of it and have already referred our few remaining family members to this forum. It's also worth noting that the content of these pages will become visible to Google before too long, with obvious benefits to other family history researchers. A Google search for "Signor Trevori", which rarely resulted in anything, now features this thread prominently in the results.

Hello to Susan D and to MSB particularly. I am a great-great granddaughter of David Trevor. I am from his daughter, Phoebe, who married Samuel Oakes, their daughter Annie Ellen, who married Thomas Edward Allen, and their daughter, Fay. I'm the one who Susan D found had wrongly attributed the name of Samuel Oakes to the photo of David Trevor. Error corrected!

It is definitely David Trevor. He's holding a copy of The Great War magazine. I have a copy of an almost identical shot taken at the same sitting, but being a photo of a photo the magazine title is indistinct. There is also a third photo from the sitting with David, son Harry and oldest grandson Sydney - three generations of Trevors. Best guess is the magazine is included to date the photo to some time between late 1914 and his death in 1916, almost as proof that he'd made it that far - maybe a photo intended for future generations? The magazine's cover features a Dreadnought in the design, and the cover design changed at a later stage of the war to a more sober one. I have been through photos of every job lot I can find that's been sold on eBay trying to identify the specific cover to put a date on the photo, and so far no luck. Many of the magazines featured senior officers on the cover so distinguishing one WW1 general from another isn't easy! I don't know if David took the photo himself or if son Harry took it, or if it was at a third party studio - both were professional photographers during their lives. David would be into his late 80s by this time and living back in Birmingham, so I'm not sure if he'd still be up to a trip to Harry's home in Ashby.
Hello MSB. I also have the two photos of David Trevor, and one with his son and grandson. Who they were has been a family mystery for some time!

From the same family history web site, here is a photo of David's eldest surviving child, Phoebe Ellen Trevor via his first wife Jane Holtom (assuming the attribution is correct. She resembles David to my mind). Born 1853 reg. Evesham - died 1921 Birmingham. She married and had six children.

Considering David was a photographer and so was his son, it seems a shame that the only photographs of him seem to have been taken later on in his life. I don't know when he first added photography to his extensive CV.
Phoebe Oakes nee Trevor was known as Polly.

Hello to Susan D and to MSB particularly. I am a great-great granddaughter of David Trevor. I am from his daughter, Phoebe, who married Samuel Oakes, their daughter Annie Ellen, who married Thomas Edward Allen, and their daughter, Fay. I'm the one who Susan D found had wrongly attributed the name of Samuel Oakes to the photo of David Trevor. Error corrected!
Hello @mem . It would appear that we are of the same generation in relation to David Trevor, thus making us step-cousins of sorts!

I also have the two photos of David Trevor, and one with his son and grandson. Who they were has been a family mystery for some time!
Definitely David, Harry, and Sydney, apparently on David's 87th birthday or shortly thereafter. What I find interesting is that your family also has these 3 photos, which appears to confirm a bond between step-siblings Phoebe and Harry.

I'll message you via this forum regarding photos and other ephemera. Thanks for getting in contact, and also to @Susan D for enabling this.

Hello @mem . It would appear that we are of the same generation in relation to David Trevor, thus making us step-cousins of sorts!

Definitely David, Harry, and Sydney, apparently on David's 87th birthday or shortly thereafter. What I find interesting is that your family also has these 3 photos, which appears to confirm a bond between step-siblings Phoebe and Harry.

I'll message you via this forum regarding photos and other ephemera. Thanks for getting in contact, and also to @Susan D for enabling this.
Hello step-cousin! Indeed, these 2 photos were in my family's collection, were well preserved and were two out of three unidentified. The third one is of a gentleman in a top hat and with a handlebar moustache, who I had presumed would be the performer, David Trevor. So now I have no idea who he is! Look forward to your message and being able to pass on photos to you.

Hi guys,

This is my first post, having been pointed here by my mum in law who is researching my family history.
It is possible that David Trevor is my 3 x Great Grandfather (William Trevor)'s brother, making him my 3 x Great Uncle.
In the 1851 census he is lodging with William Trevor.

Hi guys,

This is my first post, having been pointed here by my mum in law who is researching my family history.
It is possible that David Trevor is my 3 x Great Grandfather (William Trevor)'s brother, making him my 3 x Great Uncle.
Hello TH1,

Welcome. I presume you mean David Trevor the ventriloquist, brother of William?

Do you know yet where you sit on the family tree? Are you able to give us a bit more information about what you know and don't know without giving out too much personal information? That David Trevor had three wives. Do you know which one you are descended from? If not, what do you need to know to find out?

Hi guys,

Hello TH1

Apologies for the belated response, I've not been an active BHF user for a while.

I'm the Great Great Grandson of David Trevor, so we're related insofar as we have common ancestors in David Trevor and wife Phoebe (nee Mavity) the parents of both David and his brother William, and their numerous siblings.

Check back over this thread and see if there's anything else you'd like to know. I have a few photos of some of your Victorian era relatives, but not of William. I also have some ephemera from David's lengthy stage career. If you have any old photos I'd be most interested - my Great Great Grandad was (amongst other things) a photographer, so he may have taken family portraits of your ancestors that might have been passed down.

Hello TH1

Apologies for the belated response, I've not been an active BHF user for a while.

I'm the Great Great Grandson of David Trevor, so we're related insofar as we have common ancestors in David Trevor and wife Phoebe (nee Mavity) the parents of both David and his brother William, and their numerous siblings.

Check back over this thread and see if there's anything else you'd like to know. I have a few photos of some of your Victorian era relatives, but not of William. I also have some ephemera from David's lengthy stage career. If you have any old photos I'd be most interested - my Great Great Grandad was (amongst other things) a photographer, so he may have taken family portraits of your ancestors that might have been passed down.

Hi MSB,

Sorry for the late response also, same here.

Thats awesome. My mother in law and I have done quite a lot of research into my family tree and its really complex, however my Nans side of the family (the Trevors) is less so. Great to see we are related. Its on ancestry if youre interested.

I'll have a good look through the thread.

Cheers :)

Back