• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

David Trevor - Help

Neophyte

Brummie babby
David Trevor died in December 1916 in 'Aston'. The 1911 census had him living at 370 Green Lane Small Heath Birmingham. His wife Mary Jane Trevor had died in 1915, also in Aston.

None of the main Birmingham cemeteries (Witton, Yardley, Lodge Hill, Brandwood End, Handsworth, Sutton Coldfield) have any record of the burial of a David Trevor in 1916.

Are there any other local cemeteries that I should try? (I accept that the couple may be buried in a churchyard, but my hunch is that they were buried in secular graves).

Regards

Neophyte

you seem to have checked all the obvious ones and i have just checked keyhill and warstone lane as they are online but although there are 8 burials for the trevor name no david or mary jane...maybe some of our other members can advise

lyn

Perry Barr crematorium opened in 1903 so you could try there. Or is there likely to have been a family grave - did they have connections outside of Birmingham?

Could he have been buried in another place that they loved as often people were and still are.
I see interestingly that his occupation was a Ventriliquist and photographer and the family spent many years living in Ashby de la Zouch.In fact their children were born there.
Also Marys family were from Wolston Warks.
David and Mary were married in Hampton in Arden in 1870 so were they buried where they married.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies; most helpful. I will try Perry Barr crematorium. As to being buried in another place, David's (third) wife died in 1915 and I suspect that if I locate her grave, I will locate his. I have tried Ashby de la Zouche and there is just a young son buried there, who died in 1875. I think I have to start looking at cemeteries nearer Mary's home area. She died aged 66; he died aged 88 or 89.

Neophyte

If he was well known as an entertainer have you tried a newspaper search? It is possible there might have been a death notice or report.

There are one or two reports of his death in music hall/entertainment newspapers; the earliest was published on 20 December 1916, but no information as to where he was buried. I don't think the Birmingham Mail carried any reports. A death certificate would give the exact date of death, but I am pretty sure he died at his Small Heath address. I must have a look at Hampton in Arden and SS Mary & Bartholomew church.

Kind Regards

Neophyte

Online Hampton burial records stop in 1899 - this makes me wonder if burials stopped then. It is quite a small churchyard.

Dear All

Thus far, no luck in my search for David Trevor's grave.

One possibility is that he (and his wife) are buried in St Martin's church Birmingham; his parents were married there and he was christened there. They may well have had a family plot in the churchyard. If anyone happens to be in Birmingham Library and can search for a record of Trevor family grave I would be very grateful, and could reciprocate with a "look-up" at the British Library or similar.

Regards

Neophyte

Neophyte,

He's not listed in The Stage Year Book obituaries for 1916 or 1917 or in the Theatrical & Musical Deaths List, which I took over maintenance of a few years ago, not that either of those contain burial places. I've also checked the British Library Newspaper Archive which includes both the Birmingham Mail and The Era, bot no mention of your David Trevor there either. If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Maurice

Following on from my previous post, the only mention of David Trevor as a ventriloquist was this one from the Leicester Chronicle dated 22 April 1893. Still no joy with the burial though. :-(

Edit: I couldn't find any mention of him as a photographer either. But just a hunch, have you checked Southam for burials? Whilst searching I came across a crime where Mary Jane Trevor of Southam was the victim of theft from a property she owned in Southam. If you want the clippings I can post them here.

Maurice

Attachments

• Lei_Chron_22April1895.jpg
    Lei_Chron_22April1895.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Neophyte,

Finally getting somewhere. He performed mainly under the name Professor Trevori or Signor Trevori. Hence several more newspaper enries have appeared for his performances, but only this one relating to his death from The Era dated 20 December 1916.

Maurice

Attachments

• Era_20Dec1916.jpg
    Era_20Dec1916.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 23
A possibility, Janice. There also seems to be a connection between Ratcliffe College, the Catholic Independent School in Leicestershire and our Trevori. Several Old Ratcliffians were buried in the churchyard at Ratcliffe on the Wreake, but I can't find any online burials for that parish. Was he a Catholic? Did he attend that school? Just another possibility.

Maurice

Catholic burials are often not online. However, as he was christened at St Martins and I think his parents are buried there (I have found a burial for David Trevor in 1847 - possibly his Father, but the record does not give plot details) I think it unlikely he was a Catholic unless a late convert.

Having been through the censuses, I tend to agree, Janice. The 1851 show him as a Professor of [scribbled out] obviously wrongly transcribed as "Maker" but could easily be Music. Missing on the 1861, but probably in theatrical digs and not recorded. There I have to leave it for a few hours.

Maurice

Thank you for these messages. I will have a look at a possible Southam burial. I suspect Maurice's Mary Jane Trevor was Trevori's wife (born Mary Jane Lester). She predeceased him & he may be buried with her;so this is a very beguiling lead. The 1895 cutting is interesting because it shows Tevori as a member of some sort of ensemble. He started his performing career as a musician. As a ventriloquist and conjurer Trevori was a busy local performer but does not seem to have worked much in music hall or in theatres & hence did not have any national fame.

I have not come across evidence of any Catholic connection, but - as has been suggested - he might have been a late convert.

Thank you all again

Regards

Neophyte

Having been through the censuses, I tend to agree, Janice. The 1851 show him as a Professor of [scribbled out] obviously wrongly transcribed as "Maker" but could easily be Music. Missing on the 1861, but probably in theatrical digs and not recorded. There I have to leave it for a few hours.

Maurice
1861 he is in Wiltshire listed as a ventriloquist and with wife Eliza (can't remember if she is number 1 or 2).

Last edited:
Janice,

Thanks for that - correct on Ancestry, but completely missing however you enter it on FindMyPast. I've emailed them about this as it could be the whole page is missing from their index, but I haven't bothered to check their images yet - that's their job! And Eliza was wife number 1.

Maurice

Back