• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

David Macquaker (McQuaker)

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hi all,
Already have threads on name, place, and census requests concerning the family of David Macquaker...
Please bear with me!!
David married Annie Webb, with a daughter Ellen (all confirmed on his enlistment / pension détails) for 11th service Battalion, Worcestershire regiment.
His daughter Ellen married in 1932, from 3/143 High St, Deritent (another Lorton household)....where she stated on her marriage cert that her father was alive.
David's wife, Annie shows alone on electoral rolls from 1920 at Marshall St - and got married from there in 1924......to John Foster, who lived up the road.
So, either David died before 1920 - or they got divorced.....
I can find no trace of a death for him (the Iraq death isn't his - unless he re enlisted after beating tuberculosis!)
I can find no trace of another death.
I can find no trace of another David in Birmingham.
I have searched Ancestry under Scotland.......instead of UK/Ireland.

Any more suggestions from anyone??!!! :-(

pjmburns

master brummie
It could just be that on Ellen's marriage certificate it does not say "deceased". I had one like that but I knew he was dead as I had a death certificate.

Janice

negritaspider

TunisianBrummie
Hello Janice, We had thought of that possibility - and it would tie in with the fact that an Alice Macquaker (married earlier in 1932, stating father DAVID MACQUAKER deceased) was the Lorton wife showing at 3/143 High St from where Ellen married......
I have been trying to tie Alice and Ellen as sisters.
The only bug in the ointment is that when David enlisted, only his wife and daughter Ellen show on the pension records.... why not Alice, who was older???!

bewdley

master brummie
I can't help with a death for David and I agree about the pension records, but another daughter, Mary Ann, was also born before Ellen so I have no answer to that mystery either. I have done a bit of research and it seems that there were 5 children born to the couple, I can only find the baptism for Mary Ann and she went on and married in 1940 and died in 1991. David died aged 15. A lot of the problems arise from incorrect spellings of their surname!

Births Mar 1910
MACQUAKER
Alice

Birmingham
6d

Surname

First name(s)
Mother
District
Vol
Page
Births Dec 1911
McQuaker
Mary A
Webb
Birmingham
6d

Mary Ann was born on 4[SUP]th[/SUP] October 1911 and baptised at St Gabriel, Birmingham on 25 October 1911 her parents are David and Annie MacQuaker address 7 Ct 44 Digbeth, Occupation of father labourer.

Marriages Jun 1940
MacQuaker
Mary A
Merrick
Birmingham
6d
Merrick
William H
MacQuaker
Birmingham
6d

Births Mar 1913
Macquaker
Ellen
Webb
Birmingham
6d

Births Mar 1915
McQUAKER
David
Webb
Aston
6d

Deaths Jun 1930
MacQuaker
David
Birmingham N
6d

Births Dec 1917
Macquaker
John
Webb
Birmingham
6d

you've probably got most of this info anyway, but if not I hope it helps. bewdley

pjmburns

master brummie
I wonder if Anni's marriage certificate would help? On her marriage to John does it give her as a widow or divorcee? That might pin down David's death.

Janice

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have looked for the death of a David Macquaker/McQuaker and other variations deaths from 1911 until 1932 (marriage of daighter) and have found none.

The birth of the son 1917 could have been after Davids death between Annie and someone else she would have still registered the child with her married surname Macquaker and her maiden name Webb.

pjmburns

master brummie
If he had TB could he have been sent abroad for his health and then died abroad? I don't know if his death would have then been registered abroad or not.

Janice