• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

David Hollander & Son

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
I worked at David Hollander,'Plato works' corner of Caroline Street and Northwood Street.
We made everything under the sun in EPNS.I was a teenager when I started in the office(1958),I took the wages round the factory on Friday mornings with instructions not to dally in the plating shop because the language of the women who worked in there was too coarse for young ears.These colourful ,middle aged, women with loads of character worked in appalling conditions,covered in rubber aprons, rubber gloves and wellingtons to protect them from the chemicals which smelt disgusting.Any poor unsuspecting young man that entered the area was met with loads of comments of sexual innuendo.Not very PC nowadays.
I first became aware of the class system in those days.We didn't really have any call for silver plated Grape scissors , asparagus dishes or cocktail shakers in our house but Hollanders sold hundreds every year.

Back