• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

david haydon vehicle body builders

alan darbyshire

Old Brummie
can anybody help me with any information about david haydon Ltd
I know they bodied fire engines but what other vehicles did they body.
I think their works was an old fire station in brum, I think I passed it
once in my youth but can't remember where.

thanks mike,
in the early 60's I worked for birmingham & handsworth dairies at bournville
depot,we had a depot somewhere between coleshill st and corporation st
(can't remember the name) and I think I passed the old fire station on the way to it. am I right in thinking lingard st is no more and is under the aston university complex?

Its certainly not there anymore, but its not under aston university but a housing estate. there is a lingard close at an angle to where the street was but in the same area. You can see that on google.
Mike

thanks Lloyd for the map,it can't be lingard st that I remember.but I have
remembered that our depot was in old cross st,it was an old stable,a long
narrow building,blue brick floor,drains running from the old stalls to a central drain.but I remember the old fire station,the road was on all four sides like a square, archway engine bays with wooden doors,all glass panels.I have a picture of a haydon built turntable ladder outside their works and the doors are just as I remember. this has bugged me for years Question..where was the main fire station before central was built? does any body know.

The 'Chief' Station, before Central at Lancaster Circus, was in Old Priory where the Tony Handcock memorial is now (behind where Lewis's was). Before that it was in Little Cannon Street.

The firm was where the old fire station had been, as shown on the 1950s map below

Attachments

• map c1950s showing position of David Haydon.jpg
    map c1950s showing position of David Haydon.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 8
i remember the old fire station being there. i am showng my age now:grinning:
they did not need a bell or siren you could hear that engine miles away:grinning:

Back