• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

David Harcourt

Rumble

Hi. Does anyone have any information about the attached? My mother worked at David Harcourt's around 1940 (not sure of the date), I think they was based in Haymills any info would be great.

Harcourt's.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Does anyone have any information about the attached? My mother worked at David Harcourt's around 1940 (not sure of the date), I think they was based in Haymills any info would be great.
This picture is amazing as I have wanted to see an image of the outside this building!
David Harcourt's was also called Linkula Works and later became Smiths Industries. They manufactured pressure gauges. I worked there (when it was Smith's Industries) from 1977 until we moved to a different site, and that building in the picture was demolished. I have very fond memories of working there. My grandad, Cyril Wall worked in the maintenance team at David Harcourt's. Some of the people I worked with at Smiths Industries had been there from the David Harcourt days! Great group of people and I have very fond memories.
There is a little bit of info re David Harcourt in this link below.
David Harcourt - Graces Guide

This picture is amazing as I have wanted to see an image of the outside this building!
David Harcourt's was also called Linkula Works and later became Smiths Industries. They manufactured pressure gauges. I worked there (when it was Smith's Industries) from 1977 until we moved to a different site, and that building in the picture was demolished. I have very fond memories of working there. My grandad, Cyril Wall worked in the maintenance team at David Harcourt's. Some of the people I worked with at Smiths Industries had been there from the David Harcourt days! Great group of people and I have very fond memories.
There is a little bit of info re David Harcourt in this link below.
David Harcourt - Graces Guide
Hi thank you for the link to the Company because I worked on the end product of pressure gauges, for deep sea divers, everything had to be dust free with small air pipes, it was all precision work, the manager was a lovely tall Irish man, a great place to work lovely people nice atmosphere. A friend and I used to go to I think it was an Indian Restaurant just a small place the same side as Smiths, but you could have a three course meal business hours cheap as chips.
Happy days

A bit off topic, but years ago I owned a 1929 Austin Seven chummy which sported a small, round, brass oil pressure gauge registering 5 psi at full scale deflection and proudly proclaiming itself "LINKULA". It would be interesting to know when the company first manufactured gauges for I also had a 1918 Daimler which had a Linkula gauge for registering air pressure in the fuel tank. I had no idea of this heritage until learnt of David Harcourt from this forum. I'm grateful.

Last edited:
A bit off topic, but years ago I owned a 1929 Austin Seven chummy which sported a small, round, brass oil pressure gauge registering 5 psi at full scale deflection and proudly proclaiming itself "LINKULA". It would be interesting to know when the company first manufactured gauges for I also had a 1918 Daimler which had a Linkula gauge for registering air pressure in the fuel tank. I had no idea of this heritage until learnt of David Harcourt from this forum. I'm grateful.
Thank you for your memory's, Smiths really did make great clocks and all gauges that still stands up today, I often watch Drew Pritchard's Salvage Hunters, he very often comes across large clocks used at a railway station or school, there on the front is Smiths, quality over quantity.
I must admit I felt what I did was important, if just one gauge was not perfect, it would not help a diver.
Such a great atmosphere if felt more like a family.

Thank you for your memory's, Smiths really did make great clocks and all gauges that still stands up today, I often watch Drew Pritchard's Salvage Hunters, he very often comes across large clocks used at a railway station or school, there on the front is Smiths, quality over quantity.
I must admit I felt what I did was important, if just one gauge was not perfect, it would not help a diver.
Such a great atmosphere if felt more like a family.
Certainly, in those days at least, Smiths did make quality products. Even the crisps were pretty good! Their chronometric gauges (inherited from Jaeger) were superlative instruments but I imagine Smiths MA was a different division of the same company - I think in London?

There seems to be no reason to believe that the crisp firm was anything to do with the instrument firm
Oh dear! My feeble attempt at levity has gone unrecognised. I shall withdraw from further participation.

Oh dear! My feeble attempt at levity has gone unrecognised. I shall withdraw from further participation.
I got it, thought it funny x Looking at the history it had many arms, you only know the one you work with, however its got a long and very industrious history leaning more every day...

Back