• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

From what I remember at one point it was a Davenport family member that appeared in the TV ads. Hopefully, someone will come up with one of the ads.

Davenports

If i remember correctly, a Mr.Daniels appeared in lots of the TV adverts not the jingle, i think he was the Managing Directer he was a very well dressed man and wore spectacles.

Catchy Lyrics, Drink to that eh!

Thanks Winston :) Good to see the Lyrics, catchy eh!

Think i will place an order for delivery, Nice Beer :p

Well it will save the Missus carrying my 24 can pack
all the way back home eh!! ,
Thoughtfull & considerate John Y :D

Davenport's was a great bitter - I used to drink it in The Mechanics, Nottingham, near the Victoria Centre, the only pub in the city that sold it - it was a tied house. But let's not pretend that this is anything other than a cynical marketing exercise. Different water, different yeasts, different recipe - the Highgate website says 'based on', which is a giveaway. It won't be the same beer and they shouldn't try and pretend it is.

Marketing

Looking for something that is supposedly lost is also another way of advertising your product..........Cat:)

Gimmicky Marketing

Yo Folks :) Sure the Davenports "Marketing=Team :p et al " are
Running this one Up the flagpole, even "Loss,t leaders " with bountiful
rewards,, Wow a Years supply of Beer = nicely Sachi,d oops Sashied in,
Catching the local papers with Nostalgic & yes cynical (but Free :biggrin: advertising , all part of the mercenary sales pitching, but It works,,

Ok so it ,,the Beer, the product is Not the same, ( as it was years ago )
but it is "The Name" so having lost so many "Local" products & of course
Manufacturing Companies,, 1001 trades down to about 30? now :(
I will try this New Davenports & drink to nostalgic re-birth ,,
Cheers John Y (hic) :cool:

your right john.at least the name survives.if someone buys the drink and they don't like it.then they won't buy it again.
the same can be said about so-called branded goods which are just rubbish.

Well, as a beer-fancier myself, I've scoured the net but can't actually find any way that I can order Beer At Home from Davenport's....

When I was a sprog living in The Broadway, Perry Barr, our next-door neighbour Mr Seeley worked in the accounts department at Ansells, Aston Cross. One afternoon, his boss gave him a lift home after work, arriving just in time to see the Davenport's wagon unloading an order. Mr Seeley had a good deal of explaining to do......but got away with it.

Big Gee

The Davenports Club.

Hi all,
I was at Davenports Social club for a short time working as the steward it was a strange place to work, but the customers were good people.

John

As I write this, I am enjoying a bottle of Davenport's Original Bitter, brewed by the Highgate Brewery to the original recipe. Well-rounded and malty, and bitter like bitter ought to be. Mmmm, nice! And there's more downstairs...

3 for £4 from Thresher's!

Hic!

Graham

Colin, thanks for posting the link to the Davenports ads. My Father didn't drink alcohol hardly at all but would have a half pint in a pub just to be sociable. He would, however, stock up on alcoholic drinks if it was Xmas or a family party and happily serve the drinks as well. Beer at Home wasn't an option. The ads seem to be aimed at the "high end" customers" with plummy accents and posh looking houses. I remember the larger Guinness mini casks from my friends who did have "Beer at Home" service.

It's put a big smile on my face reading that. :)

IMHO... Davenports made some of the finest drinks around. I could never understand why the brand died as it did. But then, I wasn't living in Birmingham by then. :rolleyes:

But, I used to have a crate of various drinks delivered every week. *slurp*

I did my work experience from school at Davenports. Was just at the back of Broad Street as I remember.

They gave me a nice pen. :cool:

I can't imagine that this is of interest to anybody.

Yo Beagle :) Its sure of interest to plenty of readers & visitors to this site ,
Our "Nostalgia" posted here is the History lessons for the Schoolchildren of today?
Your "Work Experience" in a Brewery,, escaping from School yet learning what you
may have entered as a "Working Career", maybe enjoying the experience etc
Being rewarded with a Pen,,you must have done good while there :)

School leaving age children may never get that opportunity, There won,t be Any Breweries left ??
So its good to see one of The Old Names,,Davenports making a comeback,,
Your Posting,,Is of interest And it helps,, Cheers m8 JohnY :cool:

ps It was on Holloway Head (i think) but yes,,at the back of Broad Street area.

Last edited:
Davenports was in Bath Row, on the right hand side going up from the Horsefair, just before the Burns Hospital.

The Davenports pub was i think the Australian Bar in Hurst St its now named the Walkabout.

Yes right by the Acci (Accident Hospital) where I spent more than a few hours waiting to be attended to after I forced my kneecap out. Why oh why did I choose the very day that half the Scouts of the World (think Jamboree) were in there being treated for axe and other assorted self inflicted injuries. And why if 'The Royal Borough of Certain Feeled Cold' was so great could they not look after their guests themselves? Be Prepared my Arris.

Back