• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

O

O.C.

John Davenport and his sons had a small malting business at the beginning of the 19th and by 1846 it was growing quite rapidly till in 1897 it became a limited company
It was not until 1901 when Baron John Davenport took active control over the management that rapid changes were made and he was the one that had his eye on the home delivery trade rather than the public house trade and using the slogan Beer at Home he started the home delivery trade
In 1919 to 1936 the Brewery was completely rebuilt and they sunk a bore hole over 700 feet through the earth which took 5 years to sink till the found the purest water they could find to make the beer. A note I should add that the Brewery received two direct hits with 1,000 Ib bombs during WW2 and both failed to go off causing only minor damage
Photo shows the delivery trucks out side the front of the building in Bath Row

Attachments

• Lee Bank Davenports Bath Row x .jpg
    Lee Bank Davenports Bath Row x .jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 36
A very early photo of the Davenports doorstep delivery business in 1904

Attachments

• Davenports Delivery .jpg
    Davenports Delivery .jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 33
Crommie, as always, great pictures. We used to have Davenports beer delivered when I was a kid. Thinking back, it's amazing how the delivery man could park that open back truck full of beer in the street and nobody nicked so much as a single bottle.
bier3.gif

never delivered to new town row as the horse cart and the beer would have gone,my grandad was a drayman for ansells with his horse and cart and she remembers how much use to get lost around xmas even if he had toborrow a few men to tip up the cart and pretend the horse had bolted,happy days

My Grandmother worked at the Davenports brewery around the 1920's.She lived in Chequers Walk just around the corner,and her job was a bottle labeller.
Is there any staff records in existence for this period? I struggling to find any information about my Grandparents,and would appreciate any help.
Cheers
Pete

HI CROM , AND EVERYBODY WHO,S CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD
ON DAVENPORTS .
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO COMMENT ,THAT PIC,S ARE GOOD OFF CROMIE
AND THE THREADS ARE GOOD READING ,FROM EVERYBODY ELSE
AND THAT DOLL,S COMMENT , BROUGHT A BIG SMILE TO MY FACE
WHEN XMAS TIME IT WENT MISSING DOWN NEWTOWN ROW ,
I PRESUME SHE MEANS DOWN AND AROUND THE OLD
ALMA ST, GERRARD ST LENNOX ST AND OF COURES SUMMER LANE ,
THE CROOKS PARADISE ,WE HAD SOME GOOD OLD CHARACTERS IN AND AROUND THAT QUARTER
I COULD NAME AFEW , EVEN THOU THEY HAVE PASSED ON , BUT I WILL NOT
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OLD BIRMINGHAM BOTTLE EXCHANGE ,
THAT WAS DOWN THE FACTORY RD HOCKLEY , THEY HAD A DEPOT IN WOLVERHAPTON , AS WELL AS BRUM
THEY WOULD GO TO ALL THE BREWERIES AND MILK DEPOT ,
MIDLAND COUNTIES , THE COO/OP WAGADON , DAIRES ANSELL, M,B, AKINSINSON,S
YOU NAME THEM THEY WOULD GO ALL OVER THE BRUM
COLLECT GRATES ,AND GRATES OF THEM
AND THEY WOULD WASH AND SORT THEM OUT FOR THE INDIVUAL PARTIES ,
BY THE LORRY LOADS DAILY
WITH OUT THERE HELP THERE NUMBER OF BOTTLES WOULD HAVE TWINDLED
BECAUSE THEY ALL ACCUMELATED FORIGN BOTTLES ,

I THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION THEM , I DON,T WANT TO CHANGE OF THE SUBJECT OF DAVENPORTS
BECAUSE I,M INTRESTED IN THE SUBJECT
CARRY ON FRIENDS , I,M WATCHING ,

BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL FOR 2007 ,
ASTONIAN ,;;;;

WHAT HAPPENED TO DAVENPORTS AND THE FEW DAVENPORTS PUBS? IT WAS A THRIVING CONCERN IN THE 1970s.
ALSO THAT 700' WELL HOLE? WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THE WATER?

Davenport's Beer at Home My Mom & Dad had a delivery every week with 6 bottles of POP couldn't wait

My memories of Davenport's beer don't go back very far - only about 25 years ago, just before they were taken over by the Wem Brewery, as I remember, which in turn was swallowed up by Greenall Whitley, all in the mid-1980s. There were two nice pubs, one in Horsefair I believe, and the other probably in Inge Street or Thorp Street, a sort of theatrical place, which left a nice impression on my memory.
Going back earlier, I remember the brewery in full steam in 1957 when I had a little industrial accident and had to use the Accident Hospital almost opposite.
Peter

Here is the "Three Horseshoes" Coventry Road a Davenports pub in the 50's

Attachments

• Stirchley Three Horse Shoes[1].jpg
    Stirchley Three Horse Shoes[1].jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 31
Cromwell that looks more like the Horse Shoes Stratford rd. The one on the Coventry rd Sheldon was much smaller.

Full marks Robert but not quite right........ I only had a look at the front of the card (3 Horseshoes Brum)
but it is in fact the 3 Horse shoes Stirchley which was rebuilt in 1924

Last edited by a moderator:
Another photo of the Three Horse Shoes the old Davenports pub in 1910 before it had major alterations
and ended up like the pub above....in reply 10
The building next to it on the left was the Old Forge which used to put the horseshoes on the horses photo is a bit dark but outside the pub is 2 horse and carts

Attachments

• Stirchley Pershore Rd Three Horse Shoes.jpg
    Stirchley Pershore Rd Three Horse Shoes.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 20
beer sale,s man

Davenport's Beer at Home My Mom & Dad had a delivery every week with 6 bottles of POP couldn't wait
i worked as a beer at home sale,s man in the 1970,s had a round in handsworth

I remember my grandad having a Davenports delivery every week! 6 bottles of beer and 6 bottles of pop!!!! And i remember the slogan.... beer at home means davenports!!!! :D

Does anyone have any photos of the Colmore Arms that used to stand on Latimer Street South? Almost on the junction of Great Colmore Street and opposite St Asaphs church? My grans cut through was between Colmore Arms and Toogoods the plumbers. Colmore Arms was an Ansells pub. Latimer Street and most of Lee Bank was pulled down in the sixties and replaced with flats and maisionettes which is in turn being pulled down now to make way for Park Central. My grandad would be spinning in his grave at the thought of all those yuppies!!!!

I just read the same in the evening mail and they are offering free beer for a year to anyone who has got a video of the jingle that went with it, apparently they have searched the internet and cannot find it, I find that strange, you think they would have saved a copy of it.

I agree Mariew. They probably relied on their advertising company for
that and I expect they are no longer in business or taken over. It's surprising nevertheless that they don't have a copy.

Let's hope they can find a copy, I'm sure it will do there advertising campaign a lot of good.

Back