• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

The post (no. 106) made by Anne reminded me of an aunt whom I used to visit often on Saturdays - no school you see. She had stout delivered by the Davenport man, I think that is what kept her going; she had three children and a part time job let alone my uncle, all who demanded her attention.

Hi Wigandem, There is a recording of the advert on this website davenportsbeer.co.uk/davenports-history-2/ Sad, but I could remember it word for word. Strange, when I can't remember what I went in the fridge for nowadays. Anne

thank you Anne i will take a look at that and yes i know that feeling of forgetfulness!! i go upstairs and then wonder what i came to do and then come down and then remember grrr! but the exercise is good for me!!

Re.. wooden crates. I remember many years ago when I worked at Davenports, delivering hundreds of the old wooden crates to a golf club somewhere in Solihull for a Bonfire Night.

hi Anne,my grandad had a wooden crate of Davenports delivered every week and the emptys were placed in the wooden crate,i'm sure the Davenports man wore a long white coat with the Davenport logo on top pocket ans a brown satchel type bag around his body,a lot of our neighbours also had Davenports, lets sing it then" beer at home is Davenports lots of cheer .... " thats all i can remember of the jingle!!!, i'm someone on here will put me right!! we also had Corana pop and similar choice to yours,they had those black tops,memories!

I think the Beer at Home drivers had long brown coats.

Hi dirty habit
There slogan saying and song verse beer at home means Davenports sang on the tele adverts and yes they was the dark brown
Cow gown style overalls

The guy shown in the ad was one of the Beer at Home drivers... and not an actor. In other ads it was Mr Daniels, one of the directors.

We had a two pint daily allowance of beer that could only be drunk on the premises... not a good thing for those of us who were delivery drivers and had to down the two pints quickly after returning to the brewery and then drive home. I was a shop steward and I did get that changed to a weekly allowance that we could take home. As a result, I built up a large stock at home and was always invited to family parties.... I wonder why?

Sorry for rambling on but this thread has brought many memories of my days with Davenports.... although I still have trouble remembering peoples names. Do any of you remember the individual beers? There was "Top Brew" and "Top Brew Deluxe", My favourite was "Top Brew Deluxe". It won top international awards year after year and it was strong! It was only available in bottles, although they did try it on draught in a few of their pubs, and landlords were supposed to warn customers of it's strength. It eventually returned to bottle only. You know how you can recall the smell of steam trains, well I can almost taste "Top Brew Deluxe".

Hi dirty
The only think I can recall is our mom used to have it delivered in those little cases and that the only one of there beers I really enjoyed was there draught bitter
It was really cracking drink of bitter and that was at there pub up at six ways a Davenport House I think it was there first pub built

Last edited by a moderator:
As an ex-Davenports employee I could not resist this when it came up on Ebay.... although I did have to buy it from New York
dav2.JPG

dav1.JPG

Pleased too see a thread about 'Davvy's'
My first taste of beer at the family dinner table..( why do people drink that ?..), from the B@H service..such a catchy tune I still sing it word-perfect 40 years on..and get some right funny looks from the native northerners..
The beer was that of choice for student visitors, unless you made the trek to the Black Country on your Wumpty pass..
Top-Brew ( bottled ) or even better Top-Brew De-Luxe were pure nectar.
Wem was already part of Greenalls I recall, but produced reasonable trad. ale of it's own..when the brewing went to Warrington the product was awful ( they tried promoting it in their nothern estate but the damage was done ).
Greenalls had a new high-temperature wort-boiling process which seemed to affect beer flavours i.m.o.
I am sure the 'Bell' & 'Black Horse' pubs in Northfield were Davvy's..the latter now being part of the 'Spoons empire.
Interesting to see this pub feature on a recent BBC web article on the nation's best pub buildings..

Another pub being destroyed in pelsall Walsall fire gutted the old bush pub in pelsall
Last night it was set on fire twice in forty eight hours fire brigade reporting
This morning this as to be arson its regular as clock work
Anybody available to give further information whom may live .local to the pub
Best wishes Alan,,,,Astonian,,,

I have seen many pictures of the frontage of Davenports, but this is the first time I have seen an aerial view. A 1935 picture.

Attachments

• Davenports.jpg
    Davenports.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 22
I only remember the lorries coming round on Saturday mornings, and the advert with the actor who talked, "Gobbledy Gooke", English. Paul

Back