• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

I found this building on the corner of Horse Fair and Thorp Street. The former White Lion pub. Now a club called Scarlet's.

Scarlet's Restaurant Night Club & Bar - Horse Fair (formerly the White Lion) by ell brown, on Flickr

Scarlet's Restaurant Night Club & Bar - Horse Fair (formerly the White Lion) by ell brown, on Flickr

Info from Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham

On the north east corner of Thorp Street, the former White Lion of 1896 by J. &L. Lea for Davenports Brewery. Brick with stone dressings, Elizabethan style: giant fluted Corinithian pilasters and a corner spirelet deriving from Burghley House.

Do you remember there old slogan guys
my opld lady had two crates aweek delivered i do not why she drank it it always made her face like a big red flush after consumeing it
the slogan was ; beer at home means daven ports; lots of fun; and lots of cheer ;
does any body recall there first pub at the old six ways on the houseing estate they built i just cannot think of the pubs name at the moment but tell me now and i will recall it and i can just vizulize it now but cannot get my tonuge around it
my quick stab i think it could have been the cross guns
enjoy this beatiful day folks its sunny and acording to the mad boffins talk and play music to them and your plants will grow very fast
i think our prince bonny as finally convinced our boffins of gardners that there is some think in it next we will be told of our green old giants men
will be landing at the bottom of the garned me i am just gonna stick out today my red hot pokers and i will not talk to them if i do
the words will say grow or be evicted astonian

Image251.jpg

My dad did't drink "teetotal completely" but I remember the big red lorries coming round our street on a Friday I think, and the "beer at home" advert on tv. paul

bbb.jpeg
I could not resist posting this from todays newspaper, I think it is great news, I do not drink except for a scotch if I feel a little iffy or a nice glass of port with a bit of blue cheese and a digestive biscuit. I am thrilled that something is coming back and not going away.

But isn't it just a publicity stunt by the present owners of the name. - a bit like HP sauce that is as much like Daddies as the original, in fact daddies is probably better now than HP

OfficeFront.jpg.....OfficeFromAir.jpg.....image-1-for-davenports-beer-set-to-disappear-gallery-396183496.jpg
The facade on Bath Row, an aerial view, and a delivery lorry.
I would like to think it will be a return to the quality and service of yesteryear but that is probably a forlorn hope.

I have't seen any photo's of the old lorry's with the beer crates stacked on their sides that we saw every Friday around our towns delivering "beer at home" by the crateful. Late 1950's in date.
paul

I can still recall the"Beer at home means Davenports" TV commercial and the song that went with it.

Hi my name is Peter i worked at davenports i was a fitter Worked with a chap his name was patrick we would called him paddy i also new a girl her name was lynch she had a little girl i think her name was katrina i went to wembley with her dad dos any one no her

Hi, When we were clearing my Dads house after he passed away we found one of the wooden Davenport's boxes. He had been using it to store his shoe cleaning kit. Sadly it was very badly damaged or I would have kept it. Mom used to have 6 bottles of stout every week and the Corona man delivered us kids dandelion and burdock, orange and ice cream soda pop. We had to make those few bottles last all week. What a difference nowadays eh? Anne

hi Anne,my grandad had a wooden crate of Davenports delivered every week and the emptys were placed in the wooden crate,i'm sure the Davenports man wore a long white coat with the Davenport logo on top pocket ans a brown satchel type bag around his body,a lot of our neighbours also had Davenports, lets sing it then" beer at home is Davenports lots of cheer .... " thats all i can remember of the jingle!!!, i'm someone on here will put me right!! we also had Corana pop and similar choice to yours,they had those black tops,memories!

Back