• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

One of my dads mates was the delivery blokes off the shop floor who appeared in the TV adds, I think his name was Harry, I'll ask him tomorrow

Hi Izzy,

My father in law worked for a time at Davenports I would think it was in the 50's. His name was Ernie Watson, and I remember him telling me that
he used to work in the basement (perhaps it was the boiler room), and there was a huge old rat that used to sit on the pipes above. He told
me they used to throw things at it, but it was much too quick for them!

Kind regards

Dave

davenports...bath row...love the bus stop...

pic courtesy of carl chinn

Attachments

• Lee Bank Davenports Bath Row .jpg
    Lee Bank Davenports Bath Row .jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 17
All this talk of Davenports has brought back some happy memories
of my grandad Bill Hinton,he grew up in Brum,but married in 1928
and settled down at Honeybourne near Evesham,as a lad i remember
the Davenports lorry pulling up outside his house,they used Leyland F G's
nicknamed the three penny bit,which had a very distinctive sound.
Each week the driver would call and drop off a crate of Mackeson,and when
i went round my grandads,i'd sit in the chair looking at the pantry door,
then he'd look at me with a big grin on his face,puffing on his pipe,and say
go on then lad you know where it is.He would n't need to ask me twice,
it was thanks grandad and off to the pantry i went,even though i was n't
old enough to drink,it did me no harm,it was n't very strong plus i think
with all that iron it did me good.I still drink Mackeson now,although out
of a can is n't the same,someone told me you can still buy it bottled,
but not sure where from?,it's amazing how many off licences don't sell,
and when you ask for it,the kid behind the counter says whats that!!
never heard of it.Keep up with the great memories,Many thanks
chain maker.

Shame we lost Davenports.Obviously a short sighted decision.
While the big breweries collapsed some of the smaller ones have taken advantage of this.
I now reside in Margate,and here in Kent we have Shepherd Neame,a small brewery,but with a collection of exellent positioned pubs,and a choice of fine ales.Being smaller they were not affected by the monopolies investigations,and hence have even bought pubs that were sold off by the big guys.
Why couldn't this have happened to Davenports? I used to use some of their pubs,like the Drawbridge and Drum and Monkey in Solihull,and the Black Swan Henley.I also worked briefely at the Boat Inn,Catherine De Barnes.

hi there
i have happily read through all your commemts and stories about the old davenports brewery, their ads and all the products you remember. As i am sure some of you are aware davenports is now brewed by highgate brewery in walsall, and the products are becoming more available over the midlands. One exciting fact is that highgate have re-launched one of their pubs as a davenports house, selling beers brewed to the original recipies. On the bar at the moment you can regularly buy davenports bitter and davenports ipa. But even greater is the fact that is the first outlet to be selling davenports continental lager, also brewed to the original recipie. So where is this gem of a place i hear you ask!! The city tavern on bishopsgate street not a stones throw away from the original brewery in bath row is where you can find these historic delights and many others too. And how do i know all this, i am the landlord.
what i would love is for any former members of staff to get in touch, iam thinking of forming some form of club/society,memory sharing group based upon the davenports brand, is there any interest out there, please let me know.
if any of you want any more details on davenports, where you can get some, drink some, or take some home from (we sell alot of their products in bottles) then just ask and i will do my best to help.
i look forward to hearing more of your memories and stories, and dont forget former workers please get in touch

many thanks for reading

mark

Re: beer sale,s man

hi there i am thinking of forming a group for the former workers of davenports, do u think it is a good idea, do u know any other former workers workers who would be interested???
thanks, mark

hi there
i have happily read through all your commemts and stories about the old davenports brewery, their ads and all the products you remember. As i am sure some of you are aware davenports is now brewed by highgate brewery in walsall, and the products are becoming more available over the midlands. One exciting fact is that highgate have re-launched one of their pubs as a davenports house, selling beers brewed to the original recipies. On the bar at the moment you can regularly buy davenports bitter and davenports ipa. But even greater is the fact that is the first outlet to be selling davenports continental lager, also brewed to the original recipie. So where is this gem of a place i hear you ask!! The city tavern on bishopsgate street not a stones throw away from the original brewery in bath row is where you can find these historic delights and many others too. And how do i know all this, i am the landlord.
what i would love is for any former members of staff to get in touch, iam thinking of forming some form of club/society,memory sharing group based upon the davenports brand, is there any interest out there, please let me know.
if any of you want any more details on davenports, where you can get some, drink some, or take some home from (we sell alot of their products in bottles) then just ask and i will do my best to help.
i look forward to hearing more of your memories and stories, and dont forget former workers please get in touch

many thanks for reading

mark

Hi Mark,
i did pay a visit to your pub once but it was shut, could you tell us a bit more about your establishment as regarding opening hours and do you do grub etc?...
Brumgum.

hi brumgum
are opening hours are 12 noon to midnight mon to sat and midday till 11 on a sunday. As regards food we are just starting up a curry night on a thursday evening and are starting a lunchtime 'hot pot' dish from mon to fri next week, but we also run a bring your own food policy seven days a week, we provide cutlery, plates etc for you to use.
hope this is helpful and look forward to seeing you soon
mark

thought you may like this pic...

courtesy of carl chinn

lyn:)

Attachments

• davenports_drayman.jpg
    davenports_drayman.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 8
Ahem scuze me Astonian I was brung up in Alma Street an I aint no crook. Just after I married we went to live in a new development off the Walsall Rd called Gillity Village, and I used to have 'beer at home' delivered then cannot remember how much it was tho - and yes I did pay for it.

fantastic picture lyn, would you mind if i printed a copy off to frame and put up in the pub?

hi citytavern...no problems with that...i do have carl chinns permission to post his pics on this forum and he knows folk will take copies...

cheers..

lyn:):)

hi citytavern...no problems with that...i do have carl chinns permission to post his pics on this forum and he knows folk will take copies...

cheers..

lyn:):)

Missed your chance there Lyn,should have asked for a pint...or two.;)

hi lenchops
yes, i have read the whole article and was fascinated by alot of the pictures, especially of the dining areas and secrateries lounge. The brewery provided me with some of the pictures in your article and they now adorn the pub walls. As to one of your earlier posts the australian bar in hurst street is now called missing and has been for some time

thanks for that lyn, any others pictures? i would be most greatful.

you are welcome..you must forgive me not being a drinking lady:D i take it you run a pub called the city tavern...what sort of pics are you looking for...

lyn:)

Back