• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

A few years ago a Barry Bott submitted a picture to the Birmingham Post shewing a picture of a Davenports truck. I am very anxious to trace Barry Bott, who i believed worked at Davenports and also the Austin at Longbridge. He had two daughters and was last known living around the Northfield area

Yes right by the Acci (Accident Hospital) where I spent more than a few hours waiting to be attended to after I forced my kneecap out. Why oh why did I choose the very day that half the Scouts of the World (think Jamboree) were in there being treated for axe and other assorted self inflicted injuries. And why if 'The Royal Borough of Certain Feeled Cold' was so great could they not look after their guests themselves? Be Prepared my Arris.

No wish to go off Thread Bernie but I did chuckle at your posting and couldn't resist posting these to rub it in!

To get back on Thread, my favourite lager was Davenports Continental. It was an award winner that beat any imported stuff and better still it came to the door. Wish it was still about.

Jennyann--thank you, I have already tried phoning all the Botts

My grandparents had davenports delivered for years. My grandmother was on an advert in (I think) the Birmingham Mail as one of their longest standing customers. I can remember thinking 'what a thing to be famous for!'

My grandparents had davenports delivered for years. My grandmother was on an advert in (I think) the Birmingham Mail as one of their longest standing customers. I can remember thinking 'what a thing to be famous for!'

Hi there,

Do you remember the TV ad

Beer at home means Davenports
That's the beer, lots of cheer,
The finest malt with hops and yeast
Turns a snack into a feast.

Straight from brewery to your home,
Why collect - we'll deliver,
Soon you'll know why folks all say,
Beer at home means Davenports.

And old Carl Daniels raising his glass at
the end and saying "Cheers"

It doesn't seem that long ago really - ah well...

Kind regards

Dave

What was that little song that went with the TV ads? 'mrs (was it sunnyhome)has beer at home,and beer at home means Davenports.'
What was the lady's name ?.................................................Mal.

mal google DAVENPORTS ADVERTS FROM THE 50S..then click on birmingham history from the past....brillient footage of the old ads and plenty of others...if you cant find it get back to me and i will confuse you even more....:D:D

lyn

Hi,Ansell's Brewery also had a home deliver service that was called My Cellar. There was a depot on Lichfield Road Aston, near to the Railway Station. Does any one remember them ? Mike

Hi,Ansell's Brewery also had a home deliver service that was called My Cellar. There was a depot on Lichfield Road Aston, near to the Railway Station. Does any one remember them ? Mike

Hi Mike,

I thought My Cellar was the name given to Ansells' off licences.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave , you are correct the name My Celler wasnsells out doors, but it was also a home delivery service.

Cheers . Mike

My memories of Davenport's beer don't go back very far - only about 25 years ago, just before they were taken over by the Wem Brewery, as I remember, which in turn was swallowed up by Greenall Whitley, all in the mid-1980s. There were two nice pubs, one in Horsefair I believe, and the other probably in Inge Street or Thorp Street, a sort of theatrical place, which left a nice impression on my memory.
Going back earlier, I remember the brewery in full steam in 1957 when I had a little industrial accident and had to use the Accident Hospital almost opposite.
Peter
The one in Horse Fair was the White Lion, I drank in there for 3 or 4 years.
It's now a restaurant and bar. It can clearly be seen on the google earth camera's. Steve

Re: beer sale,s man

i worked as a beer at home sale,s man in the 1970,s had a round in handsworth

I too worked at Bath row, I would love to know your name, I was there alongside Tony Morgan, Billy Knowles, Tom Chidwick...ahh they were the days where people cared about each other( sounding old now) better go.:D

Re: beer sale,s man

I too worked at Bath row, I would love to know your name, I was there alongside Tony Morgan, Billy Knowles, Tom Chidwick...ahh they were the days where people cared about each other( sounding old now) better go.:D

Just thought I would mention, I have a floppy disc of the Davenports theme tune( the beer at home means Davenports)

One of my dads mates was the bloke off the shop floor who appeared in the TV adds, I think his name was Harry, I'll ask him tomorrow

Beer at home means Davenports!
That’s the beer!
Lots of cheer!
The finest malt with hops and yeast,
Straight from breweries to your home,
Why collect?
We’ll deliver!
Soon you’ll know why folks all say:
“Beer at home means DAVENPORTS “!

One of my dads mates was the delivery blokes off the shop floor who appeared in the TV adds, I think his name was Harry, I'll ask him tomorrow

That’s the beer!
Lots of cheer!
Why collect?
We’ll deliver!

One of my dads mates was the delivery blokes off the shop floor who appeared in the TV adds, I think his name was Harry, I'll ask him tomorrow

That’s the beer!
Lots of cheer!
Why collect?
We’ll deliver!

Hi and thanks for that...I use to know a guy called Harry cordwell, not sure if this was him

Back