• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports Brewery

R

ritaincrete

As a school girl I lived opposite Bath Row, in Cleve Terrace and remember beer at home being delivered by horse and cart lead by one of the lovely Shire horses,The lady driving this cart down Piggott Street was a dark haired burly lady, can you possibly refresh my memory regarding her name. I would be most grateful.

From Rita

Does anyone remember when Davenports delivered their beer by horse and cart? we used to stand outside the brewery on Bath Rowe and walk the horses down Cregoe Street to the stables in Bell Barn Road,our highlight was helping to trim the horses up for May Day.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381913372.762311.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381913372.762311.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381913384.276015.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1381913384.276015.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 56
Can't help this one I remember when Davenports delivered their beer in Jaguar cars, I worked for P J Evans on Granville St in the Rolls Royce/Jaguar service department right behind the Davenport brewery, the directors would bring in their cars and to help things along they always left a gigt in the boot.

Can't help this one I remember when Davenports delivered their beer in Jaguar cars, I worked for P J Evans on Granville St in the Rolls Royce/Jaguar service department right behind the Davenport brewery, the directors would bring in their cars and to help things along they always left a gigt in the boot.

rob excuse my ignorance but what is a gigt ??

lyn

Coaches section?
Loyd a reference to the question do you remember how Davenport's delivered their products, I remember the trucks, but working right behind the brewery separated by a r/r track the only time I had Davenport's beer delivered was in the boot of a Jaguar when they were bought in for warranty work or service as a thank you for doing a good job before we did the work so of course the directors of Davenport's always got the very best work

Letter Heads.

Attachments

• 54E24803-8BE6-4DAB-A230-393A38B58CC0.jpeg
    54E24803-8BE6-4DAB-A230-393A38B58CC0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 15D19414-65DC-41B7-964B-DEEDE52B9D68.jpeg
    15D19414-65DC-41B7-964B-DEEDE52B9D68.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
This is a query from a new member, BigAl, which he sent to me but meant to put it on the main forum so I hope it's ok to post it here.

I'm trying to find anyone who knows anything about Horse Brasses related to this brewery. 60 years ago I found an old Horse Brass in a pigeon hole in a farmyard barn, which has C Davenports Limited B on the brass plate. I've searched several different sites to no avail. Does anyone recall ever seeing anything similar?

This is a query from a new member, BigAl, which he sent to me but meant to put it on the main forum so I hope it's ok to post it here.

I'm trying to find anyone who knows anything about Horse Brasses related to this brewery. 60 years ago I found an old Horse Brass in a pigeon hole in a farmyard barn, which has C Davenports Limited B on the brass plate. I've searched several different sites to no avail. Does anyone recall ever seeing anything similar?
I’m not aware of a C Davenport in the brewing family.

My Grandfather John Dale used to make a lot of beer crates when they were wooden at his mill in Watery Lane Small Heath. I used to stencil them on a Saturday morning for him, it was his excuse to give my £5 to go the match and then to Woolworths Coventry Road to buy some dinky toys.

There was a Charles Davenport , fried fish dealer at 343 Summer Lane in 1908. But I would not have thought he would have had his own horse brasses

worked in birmingham for a while at davenports brewery bath row for a electrical Co newtons not to far away
1973/4 my wife was a staff nurse in the A&E next door we lived near stoney lane

Back