• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Date query

sez

master brummie
Hi

This is the first time I've tried dating photos and wondered if anyone can help.
This wedding photograph has no details on it and we can only identify 2 of the people in the photo (although one of the ladies also appears in another photograph we have).

If anyone can estimate a date it would help piece together where people were and when, also if anyone can suggest who is bride and groom, I assume it's the central lady sitting down and the smiling chap next to her, but as one of the other girls is in what seems a white dress I wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks

An interesting problem.

The main couple must be the middle lady with the tight-fitting pearls and the gent behind with the waxed-moustache.

I would not discount the possibility of a double-wedding or a shared wedding party.

The Gents all have rounded detachable collars https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collar_(clothing) I'd say early 1900s

Note the Gent on the right with a leather Flying? or Chauffeur coat, so perhaps 1905-1910?

Hi All,

I think we have an unusual photograph with the brides mother, the bride and matron of honour. I feel the groom is the chap standing next to the bride with his hand behind her back. He is the chap with the middle hair parting.

Quite often the name and address of the photographer is found on the back of the photo. Is it so in this case?

Old Boy

Hi

This is the first time I've tried dating photos and wondered if anyone can help.
This wedding photograph has no details on it and we can only identify 2 of the people in the photo (although one of the ladies also appears in another photograph we have).

If anyone can estimate a date it would help piece together where people were and when, also if anyone can suggest who is bride and groom, I assume it's the central lady sitting down and the smiling chap next to her, but as one of the other girls is in what seems a white dress I wasn't 100% sure.

Thanks

If my first post didn't help SEZ try looking through these pages
https://www.victoriana.com/site_map.htm

I agree with Shortie; a few years prior to the Great War, as the leather-coat of the gentleman on the far right, appears to be of a pattern later favoured by German airmen . I don't suppose it would have been too popular during, or after the war.

I really DO enjoy this form of speculation; although I'm more often wrong ...
icon9.png

Thanks for everyones advice, I'll be looking into it more.

Just a few notes, there are no details where this photo was taken- nothing printed even on the back of what seems to be thick care- potentially the photo was originally in a frame as there are markings around the edge of the photo.

There are some pencil scribbles but its very hard to make any sense of it. One on bottom right of photo and one on the back. Again I need to sit and examine this closely and attempt to decifer it.

Another interseting point highlighted by JohnO was the gentlemans jacket and the style being favoured by the Germans- we have a German family link and of the two people we can identify, one is German (gentleman on far left).

Thanks for all your help again, I'll be looking into this and get back to you...also you've been so helpful I do have other photos I may ask your advice on!!

After having the photo under a microscope there is one additional piece of information.

On the front of the photo in the bottom right corner there is a faint pencil mark which looks like a name. I can clearly see it reads 'Speight' and it possibly is a name (photographer?) it looks like 'Clare/Clara Speight'. There is another word underneath, but its unclear.

Are we right to assume its a photographers name, or could be anything to do with the people at the wedding?

It could be either but it's position suggests more likely the name of the woman or man (not sure if the first name is Clara) on the right I'd say

I'v e done a negative which is easier to read sometimes, and here it is, I can't quite make out the last words.
Could it be In memory ?

I believe we have finally identified some of the people in the photograph. We believe this is the wedding of Frederick Schulze to Marie ? (an American).
We can identify family members, we alreday know Arthur Schulze (back far left) and Henry Edward Smith (behind groom), the others we can identify from facial similiarities and the fact we have a photograph of the lady next to Arthur (right) and believe this is his sister- Marie. On Arthur' left is his mother Justine Schulze.

We are trying to work out what Frederick (groom) was doing in America/Canada, we found he was out there at age 19 (in 1913) and 1917-1918 he was drafted into the first world war (even though his parents were German and he was not American).

We are hoping to chase this up. Anyone with any thoughts, all ideas welcome and also another qu, does anyone know where you can get business records from? We are chasing the fa,mily business records for Birmingham from early 1900.

Speight`s were photographers in Sutton Coldfield from unknown date to about late 1950`s. My Aunty and Uncle worked for them in the 1940`s and 1950`s until they opened their own business in Park Road Sutton Coldfield. Speight`s covered a number of different photographic themes, whilst my Aunt and Uncle covered only weddings and Studio Portraits. I believe that the Speight family still live in Sutton Coldfield

Thanks for that. I will try to look into it a little more, although we have reached a bit of a dead end with this side of the family so we are thinking to take a break and come back to them later. I have written to the who do you think you are magazine as a last ditch attempt to get information on the couple and my great grandfather. At least this seems to solve the pencil writing on the photo.

Hi All,

I think we have an unusual photograph with the brides mother, the bride and matron of honour. I feel the groom is the chap standing next to the bride with his hand behind her back. He is the chap with the middle hair parting.

Quite often the name and address of the photographer is found on the back of the photo. Is it so in this case?

I agree with this and the maid of honour is the grooms younger sister. Dek

Back