• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dartmouth Street School

pedlarman

master brummie
'Morning All,

I attended Dartmouth Street Junior School from about 1935ish, while Mr. Perry was teaching there. He was a bit old even then and my dad told me Mr. Perry had been one of his teachers. Mr.Perry was still there when war was declared in 1939, so I guess Dartmouth Street had run short, all the young teachers having been called up...

Anybody else go to Dartmouth Street Junior?

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

'Morning All,

I attended Dartmouth Street Junior School from about 1935ish, while Mr. Perry was teaching there. He was a bit old even then and my dad told me Mr. Perry had been one of his teachers. Mr.Perry was still there when war was declared in 1939, so I guess Dartmouth Street had run short, all the young teachers having been called up...

Anybody else go to Dartmouth Street Junior?

Jim Pedley (pedlarman)
icon14.gif

Greetings friends
Here is a photo of my uncle William Davis taken in about 1931. William lived at the junction of Great Lister St and Dartmouth St but I do not know the name of the Junior School in that area that he may have possibly attended, has anybody you any sugestions? Does anybody know how I can remove the circle of BIRO that my Aunty has circled his head with, without damaging the photo?

william davis school big.jpg

Can't help with location but am sure somebody can clean up the photograph for you Colin.

Colin the school William Davies went to may have been the one on Dartmouth Street itself, it was opposite Delta Metals where I worked in 1968 not very far from the junction of Gt.Lister Street. I can't remember if it had closed down during the period I was at Delta but the building was there for a few years during my time.

Colin the school William Davies went to may have been the one on Dartmouth Street itself, it was opposite Delta Metals where I worked in 1968 not very far from the junction of Gt.Lister Street. I can't remember if it had closed down during the period I was at Delta but the building was there for a few years during my time.

Greetings Sylvia Sayers,

Thankyou for your help.
I have just obtained two old maps of the Gt.Lister Street and the Dartmouth Street area and I can see the school you mentioned in Dartmouth Street. The school lay between Lord St and Richards Street. There also appears to be another school in Richards Street itself but I do not know either of their names or whether they were Junior or Senior Schools.
Regards Colin

The earlier posts on this thread may relate to Dartmouth Street School - th posts were taken from an earlier "school photos" thread. This is the British History Online description:

DARTMOUTH STREET COUNCIL SCHOOL. Dartmouth St. Bd. Sch. opened 1876 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 1,060 B, G, I.All fees 1d. In 1881 the Sch. Bd. made an experiment at this sch. whereby mothers might leave children at the sch. at 7 a.m. on their way to work and call for them in the evening. They were cared for out of sch. hours by the caretaker's wife. This apparently resulted in better attendance. Laboratory provided 1906. Enlarged 1911. Altered and reorganized 1931 for SG, JM, I. SG dept. closed 1937. JM dept. closed 1941, I dept. 1942. Became annexe of Bloomsbury Girls' Cty. Modern Sch. 1954.

Hi everyone lovely to read about Dartmouth Street School. My mother Queenie Pearl Dodson attended that school,as probably her two sisters did also. Up until a couple of years ago I had her school leavers certificate which I treasured.
Unfortunately it was stolen with other sentimental items. She left school in 1931. Is there anyone who knows anything
about the Dodson family of William Street ? would love to know...

Greetings - UPPER GIRLS SCHOOL REGISTERS
My grandmother went to Dartmouth street school. She is registered in the girls junior register which is kept at Birmingham library archive but they do not have the Upper girls school registers, only a log book. Can anyone tell me what happened to the Upper Registers for the Girls school? Are they being kept somewhere else? Were they destroyed?
Thank you. Hope someone can help.

Back