• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dartmouth Street 1881

Thanks Mike. The map shows 1/50 which is where my husband was born. 50 is where his Aunt (his Mom's sister) and Uncle (the Player family) lived and 54 is where a lady I later knew as Gran Player lived (she was the Mother of the Uncle). If that makes sense.

Maurice, I keep trying to connect my Cornforths to the affluent family buried in Key Hill (they have a large monument there) but no luck. I seem to remember that Cornforths were in metal working and had a factory in Dartmouth St.

Lady P,

Before I get my knuckles rapped for going off topic, I'll just say that Jack (John R) was born circa 1904 in Smethwick, the second son of Henry & Edith Cornforth, an assistant inspector of postmen, & in 1911 the family were living at 399 City Road.
And now back to Datmouth Street! :)

Maurice

also a newspaper snippet dated 1939...many thanks to pedro for this one...click on images twice to enlarge

snippet 1939.jpeg snippet 2.jpeg

In 1850 there is an advert for metal workers, to apply to Warehouse, 80 Dartmouth Street. And in 1869 for tin plate workers to apply to that number.

The first mentions of Dartmouth Street, Lawley Street and Lower Dartmouth Street are
in 1839. They exist in their own right!

Maurice, I keep trying to connect my Cornforths to the affluent family buried in Key Hill (they have a large monument there) but no luck. I seem to remember that Cornforths were in metal working and had a factory in Dartmouth St.

Now Lady P you couldn't possibly be associated with the John Cornforth of Dartmouth Street, who got beat up by the police in the 1839 riots could you?

Janice & Grea,

A few more photos from the 50's & Early 60's, one of the junction of Heneage Street minus the Dartmouth Arms, one of the junction of Chester Street and one more of the junction of Aston Road.

Nechells Dartmouth Street 1951.jpg 32 Aston Dartmouth St - Chester St 1966.jpg 31 Aston Dartmouth St 1951.jpg ,

A pic from the 'Courtyards and Yards' thread of a yard which was behind houses 72-84 shown in post#25
index.php

thanks to everyone for adding photos and maps to this thread...its coming alive now:)

lyn

A cropped enlargement from 'britainfromabove' image EPW041477 ENGLAND dated 1933. The view is from over the gas works and looks west. Dartmouth Street runs horizontally across the centre of the image. A point of reference is the Infants School (highlighted with slight colour) almost dead centre in the image on Dartmouth Street between Lord Street and Richard Street.
Click on the image to enlarge and scroll across and up and down ....
DartmouthSt_1933.jpg

With regard to the map on post 21, Phil has reminded me that for those looking for earlier ancestors, the numbering was changed on that street between 1897 and 1899 from consecutive, 1,2,3,4... down one, side and then down the other, to odd numbers one side, 1,3,5,7... and even down the other, 2,4,6,8..... This will not affect the two people referred to in the thread in relation to the map, but might affect earlier times

Last edited:
Back