• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dares the Builders

Hi vivienne14 this is a great post for me as the photo of the pair of houses in the advert is of 555 Shirley road which I owned in the 1980s.I completely gutted the place including all the Windows which I replaced in cottage style including Bullions, l then rendered all the exterior and built the porch that is still there I see.these houses were really well built and gave very little in the way of problems. Regards Acklam19.

I remember there Logo. "Dare to Build".

Dare H. & Son Ltd. building contrctrs. 962 Alum Rock rd.
Ward. End 8. 'Stechford 5931/7
Dare H. & Son (Northern) Ltd. estate development, 962
Alum Bock rd. Ward End 8. Stechford 593: /7
Dare H. & Son (Southern) Ltd. contrctrs. 962 Alum Rock
rd 8. Stechford 5931/7
Dares Estates Ltd. holding company, 962 Alum Rock rd.
Ward End 8. Steohford 5931 If
Dares (Investments) Ltd investment company, 962 Alum
Rook rd 8.

Two roads in Yardley appear to have been named after members of the Dare family.

It's nice to see the Dare legacy still is remembered a few blanks that can be filled they built Minster Court Church road a spacious block of flats three stories high in Moseley Birmingham, There were of course a lot of other projects they completed I will see if I still have the records my late mother left Harry Dare the father to Patrick and David.
Patrick so is rumoured had a argument with his father and brother and went to South Africa with the intent of starting over there as a builder for the white south Africans but squandered some of the family fortune.
Harry Dare personal Secretary was Dorothy Black and David who was married to his first wife Wendy his personal Secretary was Hilary James formerly Jakeman. David had two sons by his first wife Paul and Guy where they resided at Coultard Grange out side Stratford on Avon.

Back